Overclocking with a i7 3820

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking with a i7 3820

Has anyone has success overclocking with a I7 3820? I'm Waffling on going with a socket 2011 system or a system is a i7 3770 since it is a known good overclocker.

The 3820 OCs fairly well. 4.2 is often seen and others go higher, a lot of it will depend on your skill and time available, since it's more a balancing act of OCing. The 3770, like the 3820 is a locked CPU. I'd suggest the 3770K, it's $20 more than the vanilla 3770, but is unlocked and 4.5 and up is easily attainable on air.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Gah.....

Thanks for the reply. If I can get to 4.2 I'm happy.

I've been a serious overclocker in the past but now I feel really behind on the latest options.

I started out just applying extra voltage to 486's / Pentiums etc via jumper settings.

My first real OC was a Celeron 300a @600mhz on air.

2nd was a original athlon with phase change cooling good idea in theory not in practice, condensation is not your friend.

Then I built a P4 2.4C / Abit BH-6 @3.4 on a koolance water tower and an Athlon 1800+ at 2.5 GHZ with a 90 mm vantec tornado. Holy crap that was loud.

Then went to a Opteron 165 @2.7 with a NF4 based DFI lanparty board That was my first set of GSkill). After that.... nothing.

This will be the first system I've invested in since then. I've built about 15 machines for people in between that time and now but nothing to be OC'd. That being said most of those have been G.Skill systems with a few exceptions. Last system I built was in 2009.

I've been out of the overclocking game for awhile now and don't have the time to get back up to date on the best cpu steppings, motherboard bios revisions and CPU/Memory/Mobo combinations in 2 or 4 stick combinations. I don't have the time to really do proper research so was hoping that there was a magic bullet recipe out there. Yeah yeah google is my friend, but I was hoping for some real world experiences from users who have built their own machines.

I'm not even sure if any of that matters anymore. From the looks of some of the Bios screen shots at lot of it is just setting the overclock features instead of fiddling with voltages and timings in combo with the right hardware.

All I know is I'm settled on a Intel proc. Either the 3770K or the 3820. I like the 3770K better but the 2011 socket seems to have better future proofing. A good mobo for either costs about the same after the price difference ($229 vs $289 at microcenter) This is for gaming.

TLDR: Gah I always over think stuff when I'm about to drop a wad of cash on hardware.

Comment

I'd go the 3770K, for price to performance and providing some longevity, can't beat it...and to be honest 2011 already seems like old hat, they really don't appear to be doing anything with it, and we'll be seeing more changes coming soon, DDR4 is just around the corner and I believe the initial conversions to 4 will prob be the 1155 socket and Ivy bridge CPUs, much the same as DDR started easing in with the socket 775 mobos and aimed towards the higher end quads of the day (Q6600-Q9650s). As far as OCing, with the 3770K up to about 4.2 or so, it's generally a multiplier change, 4.3/4.4 a bit of extra vCore, then it starts calling for more vCore and can be in bigger jumps...and hey...we're here and will help....

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X