Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - intel bug means can't run 4x8gb-2133?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - intel bug means can't run 4x8gb-2133?

Have 4x8GB 2133MHz memory on backorder.

Was in to my retailer recently, and he noted an intel sandybridge bug prevents running 4x8gb at 2133, having to downgrade to 1333 instead.

[I don't doubt him / his experience. Just don't know the particulars, and if the problem(s) he ran into were one offs.]

Has anyone else heard of this / have any links that describe the issue?

TIA

Killed order (F3-17000CL11Q-32GBZLD) - was being given the runaround.

From reading other threads, I'm now wondering if the salesman mis-heard and thought I was running AMD. Confirm > 1333 is an issue for AMD, and not known to be for Intel (i7-2600K)?

It seems the biggest problem for the backorder on my memory order was the presence of the fan in the package. Normal?

- presence of fan seems problematic for stores / inventory. I think there are 4 fans in my systems, CPU, PSU, back of case, front of case (in front of drive bay). I'm not particularly keen on YACF (Yet Another Case Fan). I suppose a memory fan could be useful, particularly if another fan fails. (Not the PSU or CPU - if one of them goes, I'll be showstoppered anyways.) So, how important might a memory fan be? (@2133MHz)

I originally purchased 2 systems, ASRock Z68 Extreme4, i7-2600K, and 2x2x4GB, 8GB for each, expecting to some day move them all to one system and purchase additional memory for the other.

Early on, I gave up on playing with all the fiddly OC settings - I just want a button "Go as fast as the hardware present lets you!" and then get on with my day. Ultimately I just set 'Auto' for OC, loaded the XMP profile, and got on with it. CPU seems to run at 3.4, 1600. [Purchased 2 x F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH at the time.]

The day to purchase memory for the 2nd system has now come. The one system (Kubuntu 12.04LTS) started swapping and adding the additional 8GB (->16GB,4x4) made it go away, so time to get more memory. I'm tired of the fiddly bit of constantly coming back to upgrade computers and spend more money (it's time consuming to keep revisiting the issue) so I'm inclined to max out the memory in one go with 4 x 8GB sticks.

I see the following available (perhaps backordered) at my local CanadaComputers store:
    - G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL10 Quad Channel Kit (F3-2133C10Q-32GAB) - $299 (Back Order)
    - G.SKILL Sniper Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL10 Quad Channel Kit (F3-2133C10Q-32GSR) - $299 (Back Order)
    - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit (F3-2133C9Q-32GXH) - $309 (Back Order)
    - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z + Fan Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL11 Quad Channel Kit (F3-17000CL11Q-32GBZLD) - $315 (Special Order) [the one just cancelled]
    - Patriot Viper 3 Mamba Black 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL11 DIMMs (PV332G213C1QK) - $299 (Special Order)

Thoughts, recommendations, suggestions?

I see suggestions in some threads that it's useful to provide UEFI screen shots when posting questions here - how to acquire? PrtSc no applicable to UEFI? Digital camera?

Summary:
    - mem. > 1333MHz viable for i7-2600K?
    - ASRock Z68 Extreme4, i7-2600K
    - looking to max out memory with 4x8GB and be done with it.
    - mem. fan appropriate?
    - just want to max out memory, fire and forget max system speed, and get on with it.
    - how to acquire BIOS setup screen shots?
    - any reason to choose one item over another of the products available at my local retailer? (listed above)

Thanks for any clarity, thoughts, suggestions.

Comment

Yeah, if you want to post pics you'll need a camera i.e. tablet, smartphone etc. Upload the pics to http://www.photobucket.com and then you can link those pics to your post.

Comment

Of those listed I'd go the Ripjaws X as first choice (CL9), followed by the Snipers and Ares. No bug that I've ever heard of 2133/32GB is about the MAX for the 2500K have gotten a few 2600Ks up to 2400 with 32GB...Where you may see a problem is that many of the Z68 mobo BIOSs were never really set for running 32GB of high freq, so you may have to set up the advanced timings manually - if any problem give a holler

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Rodster View Post
          Yeah, if you want to post pics you'll need a camera i.e. tablet, smartphone etc. Upload the pics to http://www.photobucket.com and then you can link those pics to your post.
          F12 works confirmed. Additional details, if useful, posted in http://www.gskill.us/forum/showpost....81&postcount=3

I suppose tinypic would work as well, or just about anything resulting from a "image pastebin" search.

Comment

Originally posted by bs27975 View Post
            Have 4x8GB 2133MHz memory on backorder.

Was in to my retailer recently, and he noted an intel sandybridge bug prevents running 4x8gb at 2133, having to downgrade to 1333 instead.

[I don't doubt him / his experience. Just don't know the particulars, and if the problem(s) he ran into were one offs.]

Has anyone else heard of this / have any links that describe the issue?

TIA
            Have yet to find definitive answer (how do you prove a negative?), but ...

Came across the other day, forget the specifics of where ...

Looking at a motherboard's specs, ASUS something I believe, BH67 chipset (or something, I really don't remember), in the memory area it specifically said using 4 slots would ratchet down memory speed to 1066 (1333?).

So ... note to selve(s) ... before buying those 4 sticks of memory, have a peek at your motherboard's specs page ... just in case.

May not be anything there, but if there is, forewarned is forearmed.

My conclusion is that my retailer had a particular MB / chipset combination to run into the problem. Although at the time they indicated the same processor as I had, and 4 sticks / 32GB total memory, they could not recall the motherboard or the chipset.

Given Tradesman's response, essentially, "News to me.", probably not an issue for most, but check your MB specs, just in case.

After all, YMMV, and a quick check may save you some ... irritation.

Comment

With an H67, you'd be limited as it's basically a limited extract of the P67 chipset, though the P67 doesn't have that limitation nor does the Z68

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X