Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7-16GBZM (4x4): Errors with 4x4, 2x4 is fine

Hi,

I'm having some weird errors that is bugging me for some days now. I was running 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (7-8-8-24) on my system for 2 years or so without problems. Lately I have too much stuff in the background (using it for development and gaming) so it kept running out of memory. So last Monday I bought the G.SKILL RipjawsZ F3-12800CL7-16GBZM (4x4GB), same timings as the old ones. Now here comes the strange part:

When using 16GB I get errors and app crashes. Other combo's are fine:

- 16GB -> apps crashes
    - 4GB in whatever slot -> OK
    - 2x4GB in 1,3 or 2,4 -> OK

I have tested with Memtest86 and MemTest for windows from hcidesign and the game LOTRO. In Memtest86 didn't give any errors but when using more than 8GB, I get errors and app crashes.

- Memtest86 16GB -> OK
    - LOTRO 8GB in 1,3 or 2,4 -> OK
    - LOTRO 16GB -> errors
    - MemTest for windows 4GB in any slot -> OK
    - MemTest for windows 2x4GB in 1,3 or 2,4 -> OK
    - MemTest for windows 16GB -> errors

Every time I changed the memory I've resetted the bios and only changed the memory profile to XMP profile 1, so it runs at 1600MHz. After the first errors on Monday I've reinstalled windows with only testing tools and LOTRO.

Given the test results I think the memory isn't compatible after all with my system or I simply missed a setting (only changed to XMP profile 1).

My system specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H
    Processor: Intel Core i5-3570k
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (7-8-8-24) (XMP profile 1)
    Video Card: GIGABYTE GTX 770 OC 4GB
    SSD (2x): Samsung 840 pro (128GB)
    HDD (2x): Seagate 7200.14 (2TB)
    Power Supply: Corsair AX760 Modular 80 Plus Platinum
    Case: Corsair 550D
    Monitor: Samsung SA300 (1920x1080) + Samsung (1280x1024)
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Do you have the latest BIOS? The memory should work flawlessly with XMP enabled.

Hard reset BIOS them try again. If still slightly unstable, raise DRAM Voltage +0.05V with XMP enabled to see if that works better. Keep us posted!

Comment

I have the latest Bios, drivers and updates installed.

I did a Bios hard reset and it didn't help. If really needed I could start messing with the voltage but I think that a product should be stable with default settings. Besides that, this is my work pc so I don't want to mess around with it too much. I already lost 3 days of work this week with all the testing.

I have started a RMA with the seller and see what they have to say. I'm thinking about swapping it for another series (TridentX) and try that.

Comment

The memory has been tested by the seller and they found some errors too. Unfortunately they ran out of this type and I have to order something else.

Thanx for your help.

Comment

Got my replacement kit this afternoon: G.SKILL TridentX F3-1600C7D-16GTX 2x8GB

Same issue

Comment

So using the new kit alone has problems? Or you mean when mixed with other RAM?

The new 2 x 8GB has the same problem as the old 4 x 4GB?

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Using the kit alone has the issues. Same problem as with the previous 4x4GB.

I'm going to plug in the new 2x8GB right now and run an extensive memtest86 tonight.

Comment

Post some pictures of BIOS and we can take a look to see what's going on.

A setting may be slightly off and causing the problem.

Comment

Not sure what the best way is to share so many images so I shared a dropbox folder with all photos and screenshots inside: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ua6gyln23...Ww-Y6xoBZ-GSla

Tests I've done:
                  1. Memtest86 ran for about 8 hours during the night. No errors found.
                  2. I took photos of most bios settings so you can have a look.
                  3. Started windows and within minutes while preparing for a prime95 test I got the first crash and BSOD.
                  4. Ran prime95 tests until it encountered 2 errors. For some reason the stress.txt was not saved. When all processes stopped I wanted to close prime95 and the pc froze.
                  5. Restarted pc and ran memtest for windows until it found up to 3 errors.
                  6. After all tests I replace the old memory back so the pc doesn't crash while writing this.

I can think of a few things that causes the crashes and errors but I've little experience with faulty memory so I'm just guessing here:
                  • The memory controller can't handle more than 8GB. Never heard of this, but you never know.
                  • The memory isn't compatible with my system.
                  • The XMP profile is not setting the correct settings.
                  • While taking out the G.SKILL memory it felt pretty hot. Maybe it's possible that G.SKILL memory is getting hotter than the Corsair memory I have right now and causing problems. I live in the south of Spain and the room temperature is about 30 degrees (Celsius).

Thanx for your help so far.
                  Last edited by roufneck; 07-29-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Did you memtest one stick at a time, or all modules installed? They should be tested individually.

Rather than XMP, try manual settings. For advanced timings, copy as listed in the pics you sent, but change the ones below:

tRC 40
                    tRFC 255

Also, make sure the RAM is installed in the dual channel slots furthest away from the CPU.

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanx for your reply.

- I tested all modules together. Will do that one by one next time.
                      - Ram was in the channels furthes away from CPU (channel 1 and 3).
                      - I'll try the manual settings tomorrow morning.

Comment

Tried tRC 40 and tRFC 255 and it failed. PC crashed during a stress test.

Comment

Did you try one module at a time? If both sticks work fine separately, they should have no issues together.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

With all respect, but what's the use of testing the sticks separately? I'm using the 2 sticks together and that doesn't work. I just need to accept that this memory, for whatever reason, doesn't work in my pc. The first 4x4GB stick did work separately and didn't work together. Same for the 2x8GB sticks, they just don't work together in windows and that's the only way I tend to use them.

This is my work PC with a lot of development stuff on it and I just can't afford to loose more time on playing around with memory and figuring out how to get it working. I already lost 4 days from the past two weeks while running tests and changing settings and swapping memory.

I'm sending back the sticks tomorrow morning and I'm getting my money back. I'll run some of the programs on another pc so I don't need more memory. In the mean time I'll wait until the new Intel processors are out and I'll build a new PC from scratch around that. It seems to be a lot easier to build a new PC than finding memory for a 2-3 year old pc.

Anyway, thanx for your time and help.

Comment

I understand it can be frustrating, and it has been a tricky issue. The memory kits are compatible, yet they are not working as they should when placed together.

The purpose of testing them separately is to get a better idea of what may be causing the problem. Without physically being present, these troubleshooting steps are necessary for me to get an idea of what may be causing the issue. If I were present, I would probably have to run through the same tests myself. The general idea is to make sure each stick and each slot is fine because if they are, they should work together.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X