F3-2400C11D-16GSR _ MSI Z97 PC Mate _ Intel I7-4790K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2400C11D-16GSR _ MSI Z97 PC Mate _ Intel I7-4790K

Hey guys, new to the overclocking world but not too new to computers. I had a question about possibly undervolting my 2400 RAM. It is the G.Skill Sniper series if that helps. Since it runs on 1.65v and "they say" that my processor likes 1.5v....I was going to slow it down a bit and possibly tighten up some timings. I did the XMP on the motherboard and it went from 1333 1.4v to 2400 1.64xV. I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me a crash course on what exactly needs to be done to do this. I have read multiple places that some people say that 1.65v will be fine while others say it wont....so I figured why not if I can tighten up the tings a bit. I got this RAM at a crazy good price...which is teh reason I went for the 1.65v

Thanks guys! I will be reading/searching for more knowledge about messing with RAM.

1.65V is fine, but you of course can still try to reduce Vdimm. However you do need to test stability for each reduction and this can take quite some time (depending upon what test you prefer). Reduce Vdimm in small steps of 10-20mV and when your stability test fails raise it back up 10mV.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

1.65V is the enthusiast limit. 1.50V is the standard limit of DDR3-1333/1600.

Just look at Intel's XMP/overclocking page, tons of G.Skill 1.65V RAM approved.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ofile-xmp.html

It's why you didn't have to manually set up the RAM for DDR3-2400, everything is perfectly designed to run at full speed.

Comment

ya, i figured it would be ok to leave at 1.65v but if I could slow it down to 2133 with a CAS of like 9, wouldnt that yield a bit better results?

Comment

Overall performance would probably still be better at DDR3-2400, regardless of timings. You can compare it yourself, if you want to.
          Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
          X