G.SKILL TECH FORUM

Go Back   G.SKILL TECH FORUM ? Product Discussion ? DDR3 ? BIOS Configuration for AMD Motherboards

BIOS Configuration for AMD Motherboards Discuss BIOS/EFI Configuration for specific AMD motherboards

Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 AM

Shushu is reading into overclocking
Unhappy F3-2400C11D-8GAB + GA-F2A88XM-D3H + A10-7870K Unstable at 2400

Hello,

I recently bought this combo and I'm trying to make sure I get the most of it. Out of the box it runs in 1600Mhz. In the bios I turned on XMP and there was only one profile there called "Profile1" which put the RAM on 2400Mhz. Windows boots but it's unstable and I've seen some file write errors. It crashes with a blue screen after about 5 minutes of running Prime95. If I go back to the original 1600 there are no issues at all.
I tried changing the timings in the bios to the advertised 11-13-13-31 and the voltage to 1.65 but that didn't work either.

Update: Running memtest86 now with both modules just to make sure they're not defective. No errors so far so I believe they're fine.

What am I doing wrong / How do I proceed from here? I specifically bought this set so I can run it in 2400.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Shushu; 01-18-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 AM

emissary42 is setting World Recordsemissary42 is setting World Recordsemissary42 is setting World Records

What stopcode did you get with the BSOD?

File write errors might not be directly memory related, but can occur for example if the reference clock is raised beyond a certain point. Can you please show us your settings with the XMP enabled? (CPU-Z tabs, Aida64 or HWinfo64)
Old 01-18-2016, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to run Prime95 again now to see if I get the same BSOD. In the meanwhile, here are my screenshots from CPU-Z with XMP enabled. It's weird that it shows the memory sticks in slots 2 and 4 while I'm 100% sure that they're installed in 1 and 3.

Update: I didn't even get a BSOD this time, after about 5 minutes running Prime 95 I got a black screen and the PC stopped responding. During those 5 minutes, several programs that are running in the background have crashed.

Update 2: Running memtest86 again (with the XMP profile) and already seeing hundreds of errors after a few minutes. 4,000+ errors after 2.5 hours. All in Test 6.

Last edited by Shushu; 01-18-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Administrator

GSKILL TECH has disabled reputation

Do you have the latest BIOS? Have you tried a lower frequency like 1866 to see if it can work. Most likely you need to boost CPU-NB Voltage to support 2400

The new G.Skill Overclocking Section!

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
Old 01-18-2016, 03:45 PM

I do have the latest BIOS (F9). I tried 2133 (by setting the multiplier to 21.33 and touching nothing else) and was able to run memtest86 and prime95 for an hour each without a problem.

What you are suggesting is to still use the XMP profile but slowly upping the NB voltage and testing again? Should I do so in increments of 0.05v? What's the upper limit to raising the NB voltage without damaging anything? I don't have any special cooling on it.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Administrator

1.30V is the upper range.

Keep an eye out of CPU temp

2400 may be tricky and require careful tweaking.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 PM

Thanks! Any idea what the base voltage for the NB core is? Gigabyte's BIOS only has "auto" or I can enter my own, but it doesn't show me what voltage is running right now.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Administrator

1.15V default I think