X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging and unplugging

Hi all.

A simple and stupid question:

Recently I bought 2x2GB Ripjaws DDR3-1333. But I made a mistake, didn't check if they were compatible with my old 2008 Asrock socket 775 motherboard.

So they are not and I'm going to sell them through eBay. The question is: before knowing they can't work, I plugged them about 6 or 7 times, trying different jumper settings, without success.

Is there any little chance that they were damaged? Or that 'plug-switch on-nothing happens-unplug' process was healthy and inofensive?

What I'm trying to avoid is selling them to, let's say, Australia, and having to return them because they are broken. I've got no (other) DDR3 machine available to check them.

Thanks.

Are they single sided or double? Most socket 775 DDR3 motherboards require double.

Did you try one module at a time to see if it boots? Did the motherboard work before? Do you have other DDR3 RAM that work fine? If you do, make sure you have the latest BIOS and try again.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Are they single sided or double? Most socket 775 DDR3 motherboards require double.
      To be honest, I don't know. Google says they're double. Model:
      G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH
      May 2014

Did you try one module at a time to see if it boots? Did the motherboard work before?
      Do you have other DDR3 RAM that work fine?
      Yes - yes - no. It's working now, but using DDR2-667. It's an:

Asrock 4CoreTwins1600-P35

I found a non-official Asrock forum and they said to me that old 775 motherboards (like this one) *do* accept DDR3-1333, but only if they are old modules. Like 2010-made or older. Their words about these 2014 G.Skill modules: "they will never work".

BIOS version is 1.40. 1.50 description is "support instant boot". 1.60, lastest one, includes support for Logitech USB keyboards. I'm afraid updating shouldn't fix anything related with memory.

Thanks.

Comment

Yea, that's usually the case for these older motherboards. DDR3 has changed so much, and the BIOS versions don't really get updated, so compatibility becomes an issue.

People with new builds can learn from this; purchase all the RAM you may need now, don't plan to wait because RAM doesn't necessarily get cheaper, performance modules eventually become rare, and compatibility may become an issue, so it's worth it to just have it set for life.

Comment

So, if it's just a BIOS update problem, I guess these modules are OK and I can sell them with confidence.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Don't worry, as long as the memory is in good physical condition and the warranty sticker is intact, you can sell them with confidence because we will back them if there is any problem.

Comment

Working...
            X