• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on KM780 RGB

Hello, I just received my KM780 RGB, here are my first thoughts :

- Nice packaging
    - It looks really sturdy, good point
    - Personal preference, but I would have liked a larger armrest. Also, not really convinced about its texture (smooth would probably be better)
    - Big no-no : automatic firmware update at driver installation, without confirmation by the user
    - A bit noisy, but that was expected ... I got the brown version, not exactly sure it was the right choice (mainly for gaming), we'll see over time
    - The lightning profiles edit UI seems a bit ... hmm, let's say complex, there's probably room for enhancement here (not a big deal, I don't see me using this anyway, except maybe in sleep mode)
    - No need for a full slider for the brightness when the only options are actually 0%, 33%, 66% and 100%
    - Again, not really unexpected, but the lights "bleed" a lot under the keys
    - Bad placement of the status keys (caps lock status and so on) : if you're little far from the keyboard, or not over it, you don't see them
    - Gaming keys : good idea, but you should have stopped at a different texture, not a different shape too, that renders them usuless for typing, and so completly useless alas
    - Macros : I probably won't use them, but they seem limited (for example, I could not even find an easy way to launch the configuration utility)
    - The color of the special keys (macros, multimedia and so on) can't be changed, that's a shame
    - Maybe related to my setup, but the volume slider does not synch with the Windows 8.1 one. On the other hand, the other multimedia keys work pretty well
    - Something to make a little clearer in the manual : some settings (sleep, alarm, for example) are not taken into account unless you save the configuration into the keyboard, while this looked like it was totally optional.
    - I still have to test if loading profiles when a program starts works as intended, this will be useful when playing different games, obviously

Despite these little "flaws", I'm very satisfied with my purchase, that's a very nice piece of hardware.

Regards.

These are pretty much my exact sentiments after suing the KM780 for the last couple of weeks. I love it and has spoiled me since I have to use a bargain basement keyboard at work. G.Skill, work on the user friendliness of the interface software of the keyboard and mouse and you'll have one of the best gaming peripheral combos in the industry. Seriously, well done.

One note about the volume control. If Windows and the KM780 get out of sync, I take the keyboard to and system volume to zero and then go up in volume. They always sync for me when going up from zero volume and stay synced even through reboots.

Comment

About the volume, kinda hard to explain properly :

- If I change it on the keyboard, it does modify it for windows (a small "metro" popup appears), but not for the volume icon on the systray
      - If I change it on the volume icon on the systray, the volume on the keyboard does not synch
      - And finally, I'm using MPC HC when listening to music in backgroung usually, they keyboard does not impact its volume (which is probably the exact same problem as the volume on the systray).

I'll try and see if setting everything to zero and working from there solves this.

Also, a couple of things I forgot :

- The install folder is, if I'm not mistaken (not on my PC at the moment), 155 MB in size, mainly because of 5 or 6 language folders of 20+ MB each. Is it possible to delete the unused language folders ? (I don't like wasting space on my SSD )
      - Apparently, the driver software takes up 40+ MB in memory. That sounds a bit much ?

Regards.

Comment

i just picked up my KM780 RGB three days ago.

i like it. Of course it is not perfect but its quite good.

i wish the software worked properly under Windows Server 2008R2 (i have to use this because Windows 7 won't see all 4 processors on my quad AMD Opteron system)... i guess minor gripe. The driver software crashes under Server 2008R2... during the software update operation - at first i thought i bricked the keyboard. Came back alive under Windows 7 and i programmed it using the software, then swapped it over to the Server 2008R2 machine.

Some suggestions:

i wish the bumps on the F and J keys were a bit larger (you can barely feel them...) for key placement feedback.

Software (and brightness key) should allow more than 4 brightness levels.

Software should allow user customizable RGB for each key (instead of the predefined colors).

i wish there was a black insert of some sort available to completely eliminate the back lighting from the base of each key. Ie. i would love it if the RGB colors only shown through the key faces themselves, and not from the base of the key switches.

wish there was a way of varying the brightness for the volume bar and associated keys (Play, stop, M1-M3, etc), or even making those user programmable RGB colors.

It would be nice if the keyboard had two USB ports... ie it was a USB hub.

Would be nice if Linux software was available for setting the keyboard up - or perhaps the keyboard software interface made available so folks could write that software themselves...

Other that that... seems like a great product.
        Last edited by rvborgh; 12-31-2015, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X