MSI B350 Pro Carbon with GSKILL Trident Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI B350 Pro Carbon with GSKILL Trident Memory

I personally don't see how this can be an issue with the actual GSKILL memory, but I wanted to post here anyway and get opinions as I got zero help from MSI or their forums. I'm hoping if nothing else maybe I'll bump into someone here who's also experienced this issue. Forgive my laziness, but I decided to just copy the same post I made to the MSI forums:

NEW B350 Gaming Pro Carbon - No post with manually configured CPU frequency
    « on: Yesterday at 21:16:47 »

I have been running my new B350 Pro Carbon for a few days with no issues while overclocking it from within Windows. I've successfully used both the MSI Command Center and the AMD "Master" for overclocking, and after finally settling on a CPU frequency/multiplier and core voltage I wanted to use I attempted to make the changes permanent in the BIOS, but came to find that it will not POST if I change the setting there. At first I thought this might be due to interference from the Windows overclocking utilities, but after uninstalling all of those and rebooting several times the problem persists. Using version 14 of the BIOS which calls the multiplier setting the "Ratio" I noticed that I can successfully POST as long as I do not increase that number above 15.00 (1.5 ghz). Between 15 and 16 it will occasionally POST, and other times fail POST (with or without an EZ debug LED illuminated). Anything above 16.00 and I get no debug light and no POST at all. I have tried everything I can think of to "guess" what is causing the problem such as upping the DRAM and core voltages, keeping the DRAM at the lowest possible frequency, maintaining all default settings, etc. to no avail. I have also tried going back to version 13 of the BIOS, where interestingly, they call the multiplier setting the "frequency" instead of "ratio" as they do in version 14. In version 13 you have a minimum value of "2700" for the CPU speed. If I set it to that it also will not POST. I also noticed with BIOS version 13 my GSKILL memory will not run anywhere close to 3200 mhz, so I flashed back to version 14. I do not like having a motherboard that will only overclock from Windows as I want to be able to set it and forget it from the BIOS. I submitted a support request to MSI and was not given an acceptable response, hence my reaching out to the forums.

End User - 07/26/2017 - I cannot set a custom "CPU Ratio" in the BIOS above approximately 15x (1500Mhz) or the system will not post. This is with all other settings at stock. There are no limitations to overclock settings that I can find within the MSI Command Center in Windows, but there appears to be a bug of some sort within the BIOS. Please confirm whether you are aware of this issue or how to resolve it.

MSI Tech. - 07/26/2017 - try to update your bios to the newest one that was released and see if it will allow better stability of the system if not and you already have the latest bios then the system might be down clocking it self to protect it self. it also can be the bios version that you have try to re flash it see if it will correct the issue if this doesn't work you may have to wait for a newer bios release that may yielded better significant results,

MY BUILD:

Main Board: B350 GAMING PRO CARBON
    Bios Version: 7B00v14
    Video Card: HIS Radeon 4600 (MY TESTING CARD)
    PSU brand and model: EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 BQ 80 Plus Bronze Semi Modular 600W Power Supply
    12v rail Rating of listed PSU: 50A
    CPU: RYZEN 1700
    Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) F4-3600C16D-16GTZ
    SSD/ HDD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVMeSSD
    CPU COOLER: AMD SPIRE STOCK COOLER
    Raid Card: N/A
    Sound Card: ONBOARD
    Keyboard: OLD DELL JUNKER
    Mouse: OLD MICROSOFT JUNKER
    Any Additional hardware plugged into your system: NONE
    OC: (Yes / No) NO
    Operating System: WINDOWS 10 PRO X64 CREATORS BUILD

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 23:49:12 »
    Like Best AnswerReplyQuote
    As stupid as it might sound.....just for the sake of trying this.......maybe try a different, newer, GPU?

We've seen issues with users using really old GPU's with the newer Ryzen systems.

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:34:00 »
    ReplyQuote
    I was wondering if someone was going to call that out. I was hoping to get by till I got my gtx 980. Anyway, I went ahead and pulled a gtx 560 out of another computer and tried that and had the same result, no POST. By the way, when it fails POST, there's not only no debug LEDs, but no audible error codes as well. Just a black screen forcing to use the clear CMOS jumper.

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:48:40 »
    Like Best AnswerReplyQuote
    Yeah, that's a little bit better. But it's still quite old. As I said, we've seen issues with older GPU's.

But this is a very strange one, I'll give you that much.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 15:06:50 »
    ReplyQuoteModifyModifyRemoveRemove
    I'm scratching my head trying to think of how to further troubleshoot this on my own since I'm not getting any direction from support or confirmation as to whether this is a known issue. I'm wondering if there's any other B350 Pro Carbon owners on here who have successfully changed the CPU Ratio from default to anything even near the stock CPU speed and were able to boot the system? All I have is the case, motherboard, RAM, and video card. I tried a different video card, and tried the 2 memory modules one at a time in slot A2, which is the recommended slot for 1 DIMM with no help. I'm also going to post in the GSKILL forums just for grins, but I seriously doubt this is anything but the board itself.

What is the highest achievable frequency with one module and two modules installed?

Did you disable power saving features and performance enhancing options in BIOS?

Comment

Working...
    X