Issues with KM780R RGB flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with KM780R RGB flickering

So, a couple weeks ago I bought a G.Skill keyboard for the desktop PC I made just a couple days ago. I wanted to use it on my laptop so I could get used to the feel of the keyboard and stuff before using it with my desktop. I installed the software and drivers for it on my laptop and everything was good. I'm pretty impressed with this keyboard, honestly. Great build quality and everything. However, yesterday I installed the RGB software on my desktop computer. After that, whenever I used the volume slider the RGB would flicker annoyingly. I uninstalled the RGB software and the drivers then reinstalled them and kept the RGB software uninstalled. The volume slider issue went away, but now I noticed that if I hold down the caps lock key it flickers violently. It might be worth noting that the keyboard works fine on my laptop. Is it probably a driver issue of some sort?

1. I'm pretty sure the firmware version is 60 and the software version is .107
    2. This occurred on new software installation I guess.
    3.KM780 RGB, NA English
    4. Windows 10 Home
    5. My case has 2 USB ports on the top and I used a USB adapter thing to plug in the keyboard.
    6. My motherboard
    7. I just have Avast installed
    8. I just have the RGB software installed for my gaming mouse.

Any help is appreciated. I'm happy with my purchase, I would just like to know how to get this fixed ASAP.

EDIT: I've noticed that the keyboard flickers a lot when I'm in the RGB software. Particularly when I'm in the lighting effects page. It flickers violently when I select different colours.
    Last edited by IamWolf_59; 07-26-2017, 03:58 PM. Reason: Edit for system specs and other mistakes. Also adding more info.

Hi,

RGB flickering (if you're not changing settings in the software) usually happens when there's not enough power through the USB. It's recommended to use both USB connectors if possible.

If you really can only use USB connector for any reason, please do choose a USB 3.0 port from the rear panel of the motherboard. USB 3.0 ports and hubs provide more power than USB 2.0 ports and hubs. Do remember that all USB devices connected to a single hub or USB controller share the same power.

If you have the software open, and you are changing settings, the keyboard may flicker while it is updating the settings to the keyboard.

One thing you might want to try if it's still flickering after checking it's not a power issue, is to reflash the firmware. To do this, go to this thread: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=14111 and follow the instructions for KM780 RGB. After you've reflash firmware and updated it to the current version, it should ease the flickering issue if it's not flickering due to insufficient power.

Comment

Thank you for responding.

I know it isn't a power issue because I know I am using 2 USB 3.0 ports. I stopped using my HUD and connected the USB connectors directly to the top of my case using USB 3.0 ports.

I did what was described in the forum thread that was linked on both of the computers that were using the keyboard, but the problem still persists.

What should I do now?

EDIT: I've also noticed there is a subtle buzz when using the audio line out on the keyboard. I don't know if the two problems are connected, but it might be worth noting.
      Last edited by IamWolf_59; 07-26-2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I apologize about the late reply. The audio passthrough buzzing is likely unrelated.

The only thing left is to reflash the firmware, then update to the latest version. The flickering LED might be the firmware not wanting to cooperate.

And if you could export all the keyboard settings in the software setting (wrench icon on top right), package it into a single zip file, and send it to our tech support (saying that you were instructed to do so from the forums) at techsupport@gskill.com, then we can have our keyboard team double check if there's a particular setting that might cause the flickering.

If after reflashing the firmware, and it continues to flicker, then you might need to send it in for a replacement keyboard. For review purposes, it's best if you can record a short video of the flickering and send it to rma@gskill.com for review, and our RMA team will help direct you through the RMA process.

Reflash firmware instructions: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=14111
        The KM780R RGB and KM780 RGB are equivalent, so use the KM780 RGB instructions.

Comment

It's all good.

I tried completely uninstalling the drivers I had on my laptop with the keyboard plugged in, I then reflashed the firmware, then updated the latest drivers. The problem still persisted.

However, I noticed something. It's not just the caps lock key or the volume slider thing that causes the flickering, but it's basically any button that changes the little indicator things to being red. Keys such as num lock and scroll lock. I also noticed that the volume slider on windows causes the keyboard to flicker violently when I move it. I know that it's not a hardware problem since I tested all the buttons on my laptop and I had no issues. Like I said in the OP, I had no issues with the keyboard on my desktop computer until I installed the RGB software for it on here. I've reflashed the firmware and uninstalled all the drivers a number of times. Personally, the only thing I can think of that is causing this issue to persist is that I'm not completely wiping everything that is related to this keyboard from my computers.

In light of that information, is there anything else I can try? I'll email tech support later on tonight with the keyboard settings. I'd like to keep RMA a last resort sort of thing if possible.

Thank you for all your help.

Comment

We'll check with tech support to see if they got the settings in email.

The only thing we have had experience with flickering is the software updating information to the keyboard, and this is usually the syncing of the volume display, but should be fixed by v0.107 with FW60.

There is one last thing to try. Please check your PM for further instructions.

Comment

Working...
            X