• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 will not boot on MAXIMUS VIII HERO with XMP

Hello all,

I am putting together a new gaming build that involves the following:

Processor - Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
    Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO
    RAM - 32 GB (4 x 8GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3000 (F4-3000C15Q-32GVRB)
    Timing: 15-16-16-35, CAS Latency: 15, Voltage: 1.35V

When booting with the BIOS at the default setting, I only see 16 GB of RAM running at 2166. I know that I need to enable XMP to get the correct amount and speed, which I have done. However, when I do enable XMP and set the default RAM profile, it will no longer boot. I have to clear the CMOS just to get back into the BIOS.

Any suggestions on what to do next to resolve this conflict? Are the modules fully compatible, or should I "downgrade" to lower speed modules? I assume I should try to manually set the Timing, CAS, & Voltage for the DDR4 3000, but I am clueless as to how to do so in the current ROG interface and I have yet to find a good guide. And if the defaults do not work, what would be the settings to get it to peak performance?

Thanks in advance!

~Argonous

Memory kit is fully compatible with your motherboard. There is no need to downgrade because all DDR4 modules boot up at a lower frequency like DDR4-2133, as you have experienced. It is only necessary to enable XMP or manually set DRAM Frequency higher if CPU and motherboard can support it.

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Test each stick with XMP enabled to see if they pass.

Test each slot to see if they all work.

Let us know the results.

Comment

Heya,

Updating the BIOS was one of the first things I did. It may have been a few years since I have done a custom built system, but some things always remain true.

I did test each module individually in the DIMM_A2 slot as recommended by the MB manual, and all passed with XMP enabled at 2400 MHz. I did not test each slot individually, but was still only able to identify 16GB when all 4 modules were set.

I did do a test with a module in both DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2, and it read as 16GB, but did not try the same in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1. This leads me to believe that it may be a problem with these slots. I will test that theory tonight and report back.

Consequently, I have decided to upgrade the motherboard to ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO for better support of the z270 chipset. If it is a bad slot, at least I will have something in the build while the VIII is off for RMA.

After I get the new MB installed, I will start to tackle the the manual settings to get the sticks up to 3000MHz.

Thanks for the assist!

~Argonous
      Last edited by Argonous; 07-13-2017, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X