Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable XMP/ manually overclock G.SKILL memory with Biostar Z77 & Ivy Bridge

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enable XMP/ manually overclock G.SKILL memory with Biostar Z77 & Ivy Bridge

Someone may not be very familiar with BIOS, and we will show you how to enable XMP with Biostar Z77 motherboard here

Before enable XMP, please update with latest version of Motherboard BIOS and clear the CMOS.

OR, you can manually adjust the BIOS as the memory Specification:

Adjust the Timing

Adjust the DRAM voltage

After you adjust/enable XMP profile, make sure that you save the changes & exit.

Also, you can check the DRAM frequency/Timing by CPU-Z

Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM.

G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-8GTX Memory

I have this motherboard (Biostar TZ77XE4 - yes with latest BIOS, cmos cleared) and the best I can do with this memory is PC1800 with 9-11-11-31 2N timings with 1.65v

Memory is in A1 B1 slots per manual instructions.

System will not post using xmp1 or xmp2 profiles. This is using stock CPU speed and again 1.65V

Manually settings the multiplier and timings as listed above does not work - board will not post.

I do not know what to do next but I certainly would like to get a confirm that the XMP profiles work for someone with a 3770K CPU
    Last edited by Bughunt; 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

If you're using XMP and trying for the sticks stock speed you need an OC, anything from 1866 on up is considered an OC freq. Might start with 4GHz or higher....appears the BioStar BIOS isn't ready for prime time yet, don't feel bad, many others aren't either

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Questions on your reply

Thank you for answering my question - I do appreciate your time spent on my issue.

However I'm a bit confused on your reply as the K class CPU is mulitplier unlocked so it can overclock without raising other settings (just need to bump multiplier and vcore)

I can overclock this cpu fine if I want to, However, when overclocking, if I'm not bumping the bus speed would this not effect the memory then?

I can not exceed pc1800 for these sticks using the latest bios overclocking via the muliplier or running stock. Using Manual timings or XPM. (BTW this motherboard has 3 additional memory timings in the bios that you do not address int he picture above)

Regarding speeds ubtained - Are you saying no one else can either? If so is this not a compatibility issue with this montherboard at anything other than PC1333?

Either I am doing something wrong (most likely), Ram is bad (doubtful), MB Bios is immature (possible - but then your ram tests would show this when you certified this board), or finally - this memory is incompatible with the MB and another product would be better suited. I feel like I'm not doing something right here. Kinda bummed...

Comment

Ideally, enabling XMP to the profiled speed 'should' take care of all settings needed to run at that speed, voltages, DRAM Freq and CPU multiplier if needed....to often the BIOS doesn't do this particularly with the newer faster and higher capacity sticks. The CPU is rated for 1333/1600 DRAM so at stock that's what the MC (Memory Controller) is thinking, as you OC the CPU the MC is capable of running faster DRAM (that's why on mobo ads you often see the DRAM listed as say 1866 (OC), 2133 (OC) with the OC being short for OverClocked. The advanced timings for the DRAM are also often off, many of the mobo makers are working on getting this fixed in their BIOSs. I recently ran into this with both a P67 and a Z67 from the same company, I put in a 32GB set of 2133/CL9 sticks and in both instance XMP set them up, and in part set the tRFC to about 278 (which is OK) but then when booted to run, came to find they have a 255 limit on tRFC so all the rest of the advanced timings had to be manually tested and set to work with the mobo imposed limit of 255 (have a trouble ticket in with them on the subject)....while now stable at 2133 and/or 2200 can't go higher, but have run the sticks easily at 2400 on another manufacturer's mobo. Believe I had the 3570K at a min of 3.8 to run 2133

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The guide shown above is the same exact hardware combination you have.

Test one module at a time with XMP to see if the system can be stable.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Biostar TZ77XE4 + i7 3770K + G.Skill Ares 2133 CL9

Good evening, I have the kit memories [ ARES ] F3-2133C9D-8GAB and use in a TZ77XE4 + i7 3770K, I'm using those memories already do a 3 for 4 months, but now and then I take a BSOD 0x0a, this only happens when I enable XMP rising frequency to 2133, the timings manually configured today, I configured:

CAS > CL > 9
              RAS > CAS > tRCD > 11
              RAS > TRP > 10
              TRAS > 28
              COMMAND RATE > 2T

So far I have not had instability on my system, I adjusted the VDIMM 1.632v to 1.656v to keep, setting increases in 1.656v to 1.692v, this is some bug or can I leave it set up that way? I need to tinker with anything else?
              Last edited by jesse_cf; 02-26-2013, 06:13 PM.
              i7 3770K ES IHS MOD@4.5Ghz + Liquid Pro + Kraken X60 + TZ77XE4 + 4x4GB DDR3 2400 G.Skill Trident X CL10 + WD Caviar BLACK 1TB + SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Pioneer BDR-2208 + GTX 680 Windforce 3X/OC + MaxRevo 1350W + CM Storm Stryker + X-FI Forte + Z-5500 + XL2420T + Thermaltake Meka G1 + G700 + QcK Diablo III Demon Hunter Edition

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? Are they set up manually or under XMP? and what's your MC (memory controller) voltage (think it's CPUVTT on your mobo)?

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  Do you have the latest BIOS? Are they set up manually or under XMP? and what's your MC (memory controller) voltage (think it's CPUVTT on your mobo)?
                  I'm using the latest BIOS that has the BIOSTAR website, I configured manually every time, but I had instability on my system, so I went back to the XMP sar, gave a brief researched and the memory controller is TZ77XE4 VSA and the CPU is where I choose to VDIMM voltage memories, does not have the option CPU VTT at least I have not found that option. Recalling that when I get the BSOD is always code 0x0a and that IMC is unstable.
                  i7 3770K ES IHS MOD@4.5Ghz + Liquid Pro + Kraken X60 + TZ77XE4 + 4x4GB DDR3 2400 G.Skill Trident X CL10 + WD Caviar BLACK 1TB + SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Pioneer BDR-2208 + GTX 680 Windforce 3X/OC + MaxRevo 1350W + CM Storm Stryker + X-FI Forte + Z-5500 + XL2420T + Thermaltake Meka G1 + G700 + QcK Diablo III Demon Hunter Edition

Comment

I have no idea here, downloaded their manual and it's one of the worst I've encountered - a couple of the pages look like they belong to a AMD mobo....IS there a VCCIO voltage setting - if so that should be the MC voltage - try it at 1.14

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X