Mixing ddr3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing ddr3

While I knew my way around a PC, back when, there was only a choice of a green or amber monochrome monitor and no such thing as a hard drive, and there was an actual switch on the back of the PC, to change between 8mHz or "Turbo" mode, which bumped it up to 16mHz, I am not sure of the latest incarnation of RAM and it's operating constraints.

I know, another stupid question. So, here goes... I have a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 MB, currently housing two sticks of F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH DDR3-1333 PC3-10666. Can I add two F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH DDR3-1333 PC3-10666, giving me 12GB?

Also, Out of curiosity, Can you mix two different types of G.Skill "Series". i.e RIPJAW series and Performance series, as long as the other specs are the same?

By the way, in case you were all wondering, it was an IBM PC w/8k RAM and w/two 5.25" floppy drives and it cost over $4K at the time.

In any case, you can try multiple kits of RAM, but we can not guarantee any results since we did not test them together at factory. In some cases, even the same exact model can not work together so it is always best to use only a single kit of RAM in a computer.

Here is my first PC:

Comment

Lol, Ha, I remember that one, fondly. Well, I don't know about fondly, but I remember. I used to work in IT at The Bank of Hartford. Our Accounting department, was the first to get that Compaq. Not exactly a laptop, is it? I remember dragging a "Transportable" to a conference once. I forget, I believe, it was a Panasonic, if I'm not mistaken. It was about three feet long and weighed around 20+ lbs., or at least it sure felt that way. It nearly killed me, dashing through the airport trying to make a connecting flight. I would take one step forward and then the beast would let me know, it had caught up with me, by a "subtle" slam, in the back. I don't know about you, but I certainly appreciate advances in mobile computing.

Thanks for the reply and information. I'll let you know.

Cheers, Rich
      I managed to find some pics on the web.

Comment

Working...
      X