This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
    No, the BIOS takes care of the rest, that's why it is imperative to have at least the basic memory settings configured.
    Alright well this response has me confused now. If I have everything set to auto then I shouldn't need to worry about basic memory settings correct? The images I showed you of my BIOS is how my system is running now so since I will need to adjust just the timings so that the two pairs of RAM will work together is there some other setting I need to make sure is configured properly prior to me changing the timings?

I saw at the original post a set of instructions of how the BIOS for this board should be set. Am I to assume that is how I should have my BIOS running at this exact moment?

Comment

Notice "AUTO" is 5-7-7-20, so you will want to manually set 5-5-5-15. Once you do that, the rest can be AUTO as the BIOS can detect the rest properly. The first post with BIOS settings is roughly what your BIOS should look like, but doesn't necessarily have to be exact.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Alright well since I wanted to use the 5-5-5-15 with the 5-6-6-18 shouldn't I set the timings to that instead? I did this and when I ran memtest86+ v4.10 it stated my timings were at 8-6-6-18. I checked the BIOS again to make sure I hadn't changed something and sure enough my timings were still at 5-6-6-18.

In memtest86+ I ran into 9 errors with in the first 4 minutes of running test #5. Remember that I left everything on AUTO just as you stated.

Comment

You can, but if 5-5-5-15 works fine, that just means your 5-6-6-18 sticks are capable of 5-5-5-15, so you can leave it at that. Most of our memory are better than rated since we only use the best chips to allow people to overclock.

Try raising NB Voltage slightly in case your memory controller is struggling with 4 modules.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well see that's my issue. I was able to run all four modules at 5-5-5-15, but when I tested the setup with memtest86+ I ran into errors about 4 minutes in with test #5. I let the test run for an hour and it came back with over 1500+ errors. That leads me to believe that the system cannot handle the ram in that configuration. I will attempt to raise the NB voltage and see what that does.

Now what is funny about this is the fact that I was able to boot to Windows and run fine, but if memtest86+ is stating that many errors than I will for sure eventually see something happen in Windows.

I think what I will do if this doesn't work the way I want it to is I will just purchase another pair of 2 GB 1066 MHz which I know will come stock 5-5-5-15 and then just use the 5-6-6-18 pair for my mom's PC i'm working on now. She doesn't need 4 GB's of ram, but heck if I'm not going to use them, someone should lol.

By the way thanks for your help thus far. It's nice to see a company who's willing to actually help you with something rather than give you the normal bs about "we do not want to be held responsible for mistakes made while using our products", etc. That right there along with a product that I have yet to see fail will keep me as a customer to G.Skill.
            Last edited by Sovereignty; 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

can it be done?

I have the (rev. 1.1) GA-MA785GM-US2H ( Bios-F12A ) : http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...d=3266&dl=1#ot
              Processor: Phenom II x4 955 BE : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0x4%20955%20BE
              Power supply: Ocz oczgxs850 : http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-gam...er-supply.html

i have recently purchased but have not received yet the
              G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1100 (PC2 8800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI from newegg.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...8800CL5D-4GBPI

i was wondering if this ram would be able to reach the full 1100 (PC2 8800) speeds using the same settings as posted in this thread or is a bit different process to achieve this?
              my manual claims this motherboard to be able to support DDR2 speeds of 1066 native and speeds of up to 1200 with OC.

also will this ram be capable and stable at speeds of 1200 or is max speed 1100?

Thank you for your reply ahead of time.
              Last edited by dwise; 05-01-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

It takes some overclocking experience and a lot of trial and errors testing. But with your hardware, you should be able to achieve good results.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.
                  I should be receiving the ram tomorrow, I will let you know what progress I have made and if I need any help.

Comment

I just got my ram in and i have to tell you right off the bat my mobo picked everything right up and clocked it to 1066.
                    I did have to go in an manually adjust timing to reach my 5-5-5-15 but even that was a breeze!
                    my last ram wouldn't even post at the recommended timings.....

here is a screenshot of my current clock settings and i have to tell you i am EXTREMELY happy.
                    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ramspeed-1.jpg

but i do have 2 questions
                    #1 will the ram be okay @ ddr+0.3v and clocked @ 1173?
                    #2 should i back off the FSB and go for a higher multiplier clock to bring ram speed down closer to the 1100 rated?

other than that i have to say this is by far the best ram i have ever bought and even if i do have to back off the FSB to a more reasonable clock i will still be VERY happy!

last thing i need to do now is test for stability by firing up BFBC2 and playing for a few hours.

GREAT JOB GUYS!

Comment

Total Satisfaction!

okay i had to back off the FSB a bit down to 210 but upped the multiplier to 19 giving me
                      3.989 Ghz and a ram speed of 1120 which i am very happy about.
                      http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/404564

with my old ram i could not get past 3.8 Ghz with any configuration and have it stable.
                      i have ran many benchmarks and played BFBC2 (my main benchmark/stability tester) for several hours and all appears to be stable(no crashes).
                      with my old ram over clocked even the slightest BFBC2 would crash in as little as 5-min, locking up my whole system giving me a BSOD.

im sure with a bit more tweaking i can hit the 4.0 Ghz mark even if not i am more than happy to stay @ or around 3.8-3.9 Ghz with much faster/stable ram.

i will be buying all future ram from GSkill.

Comment

Great to hear. That DDR2-1100 kit is really nice. It is probably the best DDR2 kit left. All the DDR2-1200 and best DDR2 chips are all gone now. This kit will probably be gone soon too, so lucky you bought one in time.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                          It is probably the best DDR2 kit left. All the DDR2-1200 and best DDR2 chips are all gone now. This kit will probably be gone soon too, so lucky you bought one in time.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          OH NO!
                          set me one kit aside so i can order another in a month after my funds have built back up because 8Gb of this would be EPIC!

Comment

Working...
                          X