Max DDR3 and DDR2 on AMD motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max DDR3 and DDR2 on AMD motherboards

I just got a reply back from Gigabyte about running the 16GB max stated on their site for my AM3 mobo and I'm sure a few others. I asked what type and speed RAM I would run to get the 16GB. I was curious and don't intend on running that much. Here is their reply. ( The more memory installed in a system, the harder to synchronize at faster speed and there will also be limitations on the AMD memory controller. For example can run 1600MHz but 1 DIMM per channel maximum. If you have 4 DIMMs, 1333MHz is the maximum supported memory speed. If going to load it up with 16GB, stick to standard DDR3 memory like 1066MHz or 1333MHz 1.5v memory. Thank you.)

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...ubmit1=Searchg that much memory.

Add in by G.Skill Tech:

This is also the same for DDR2. Many motherboards state DDR2-1066+, DDR2-1200+, etc. but that is only for SINGLE channel. For dual channel, the max is DDR2-800, meaning that is the max you will be able to operate 8GB. These are the fine limitations by AMD CPUs, they do not apply to Intel platforms.
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM.

Appreciate the info, but you might find the numbers they provided are optimistic even for their Top of the line 965.....am sort of surprised they actually mentioned that they have weak MCs (in a round about way).

Repman,

If you don't mind, I'll post this into the general discussion forum and as a sticky on this board to make it more readily available

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I thought it was a small point of interest. Just a FYI and they are at least trying to correct the MC with the C3 stepping 955 which us AMD users are thankful for.

Comment

I am thankful as an Intel user, hopefully it will make my job easier. =)

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hey GSKILL TECH, as long as one hand doesn't know what the other is doing your job will never be easy but will be secure. I love having to jump through hoops to figure how to make a new system work. That's why I build the things. It's strange but true.

Comment

It may be fun on occasion, but with AMD being weak in it's MC technology (it's across the board, not just the 955), that's why I stay away from AMD builds...out of 50+ a year maybe 1-2 will be AMD based.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I had to build an AMD setup because it was there. My older Intel rig is about ready for it's own facelift to i7. But the AMD was fun. I don't make 1/2 the rigs you do, for me it's a hobby that keeps me off the mean streets(kidding). AMD has addressed the MC across the other cpu they have, but that is no excuse. They have been around way too long to let that kind of thing just go on the market. People see that and say, Why bother with them. Even though the cost is higher it just makes sense to build Intel.

Comment

Well, AMD has it's marketing 'plan', keep prices down and show a faster speed, like 3.2 GHz vs a 3 GHz say Q9650, but with their goal on increasing the CPU base speed they don't put in the R&D to things like the MC, so they are still happy w/ CPUs running 2 GB RAM, while the world wants 4GB and more. Also, in their drive to 'show' a faster clock speed they tend to push them out the door 'at' a high clock speed, while Intel is more conservative i.e. the 2.4 Q6600 that people have been running at 3.6 and more on air for years, or the E84-8500s that came out at around 3GHz but people were immediately running them at 4 GHz and all the while Intel has kept in mind that speeding them up is as easy as adding RAM, hence more development into the NB and MC, now the CPU/MC which, I think, they wisely held back on until it was strong enough to meet the demands users would make of it.

Tman

Comment

Here's a DRAM guide chart for AMD CPUs that AMD has buried away:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

Tman

Comment

Such is life with these units....I am glad that I have been able to run 1600 on my 965 since I built the computer (despite being told it could not be done when I initially built it). I will be in the market for a new personal machine in another year or two, but truth said I am not sure if I will go back to Intel...I will have to look at what is available.
                    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
                    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
                    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
                    Corsair HX850
                    Antec 900
                    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Never know, will be a whole new world, DDR4 is around the corner

Tman

Comment

Yes DDR4....something tells me AMD will be slow to change over to DDR4 so I may end up with an Intel. Those APU's look very interesting though....
                        AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                        Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                        Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                        G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
                        Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
                        XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
                        Corsair HX850
                        Antec 900
                        Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Working...
                        X