Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2400C10Q-32GTX + ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z + Intel i7-3770

Hi!

I'm new to the overclocking world but have much experience in building and troubleshooting PCs (was part of Tech Staff in high school). I've tried pretty much everything I could think of over four days to get the RAM to work and so I've come here to the forum to kindly ask for your assistance.

Here's what I said in my initial email to tech support:

"I have a desktop computer with an i7-3770 and an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme -Z motherboard (chipset is Z68)l. Previously to my installation of the new RAM, my system's memory was 4 x 4gb sticks of 1600 MHz RAM (16 total). I installed all 4 sticks of the new ram: 4 x 8gb sticks of 2400 MHz RAM but the system refused to post. Having only 2 installed, I was able to boot with XMP profile 2 which is 2200 MHZ. I tried all sorts of settings and configurations over three days such as adjusting voltages, overclocking my CPU through the multiplier, etc. I am not sure if the other two sticks of ram are bad, if so I will RMA them. But first I would like to see if I can get all 4 sticks in my motherboard.
    Please advise on what your recommended settings are for the BIOS."

I've received a reply a day later approving my account so I could post here as well as a question regarding if I have tried using just any set of 2.
    I'll answer it here and explain what I've done so far:
    • Reseated RAM multiple times
    • Reseated and reapplied thermal paste to CPU (in case pins weren't making contact)
    • Reflashed the latest BIOS (which I already had)
    • Manually updated BIOS components using UBU
    • Set everything to AUTO
    • Set primary, secondary, and tertiary timings as well as voltages manually for 2400 MHz operation
    • Tried both XMP profiles
    • Ran Memtest on the 2 sticks that worked.
    • Tested each stick individually and 2 of the 4 failed (memory not installed error comes up on debug LED)

I have searched these forums for an answer before posting and the one with the closest specs was this one: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...t=asus+maximus
    It didn't work for me.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.
    Thanks!

Edit: To me there's no other explanation than that the two sticks I tested are bad. I plan to RMA if that assumption is correct.
    Last edited by Sohan24; 03-07-2016, 06:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that 2 sticks are rejected by the mobo.

Recent Update

I can't get the 2 working ones to go to 2400 MHZ (manually or with XMP) and XMP Profile 2 (2200 MHz) isn't stable: occasional BSODs.

Comment

Not Alone

It's not the first time multiple sticks in this series were found to be DOA.
      http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=12719

He also used the same methods as me and discovered the sticks to be faulty.
      I wish I had read this thread and immediately requested a RMA before spending days trying to figure out what was wrong with my system.

I am definitely going to request an RMA now.

Comment

Sent in the sticks and got a replacement. All four sticks are detected by OS and work [32 GB]. Still have the issue of not being able to reach 2400 MHz. Highest is 2133. I've loosened the timings but that didn't help at all. I believe the solution may lie in messing with system voltages. On my BIOS, VCCIO and VCSSA are tied together into VCCIO and I have that at 1.25.
        Any advice on other voltages?

Comment

1.25V should be sufficient, have you tried a slightly higher voltage? If nothing will work, it may be a CPU limitation. Only a small percentage of 3770 CPUs are capable of DDR3-2400

Comment

Working...
          X