Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trident Z RGB, my experience, issues, and complaints.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident Z RGB, my experience, issues, and complaints.

This is going to be a long rant of the G.Skill Trident Z RGB due to how many issues I've had since day one of receiving these.

Before I go on with my rant, these are my spec's I'm dealing with, with the RAM.
    CPU: i7 5930k OC'd to 4.5
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
    GPU: EVGA 1080 TI FTW 3 OC'd to 2050 Mhz
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w P2

So, I purchased the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB @ 3200 RAM last month from New Egg and have had to RMA them TWICE now, the first set of RAM I received, one of the 4 sticks was dead, and was only registering 24 GB out of 32 GB of RAM, and today I had to RMA them again because one of the LED's on the sticks died.

And unfortunately today was the last day I could RMA the RAM directly through New Egg, I say unfortunately because G.Skill is THE worst company I've ever had the misfortune of trying to contact. I've emailed them 4 times, not one single response, and I've called them every single day (literally) since I bought them, sometimes multiple times a day, one of two things happen, they don't answer the phone, or they do answer the phone, and they hang up on me.

I bought this RAM over the Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM because I fell in love with how this RAM looked, it was aesthetically beautiful to me, but ever since I received it I have had nothing but issues.

The LED's on the RAM work when THEY want to, not when you want to, also, god forbid you have to shut the computer down, or the power cuts out, because if you were lucky enough to get the LED's the way you want them (I have mine on Glowing YoYo mode on red), but the moment I shut down or restart the computer, the LED's go out of wack, one of the light bars turns completely off, or one of them is stuck on rainbow, or only 2 of the light bars actually work, forcing me to have to uninstall and reinstall the G.Skill Control program, and even then, it STILL doesn't work properly, and yes, I'm restarting my computer after every uninstall, and after every reinstall.

Getting the lights to work properly again takes me a good 2-4 hours every single time they mess up. Not only that, but the G.Skill Control program doesn't even work half the time.

This RAM has been released for "I THINK" half a year now, they've had plenty of time to fix this. I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick and tired of being the beta tester for a company who releases trash products. They need to have this tested and working before releasing, because I've effectively spent $300.00 on useless trash that works 20% of the time, and can't get in touch with G.Skill if my life depended on it.

I should have went with my gut and ordered from a company that I knew 100% that I could trust, like Corsair, not only can I trust them, but getting in contact with Corsair is one of the easiest and best companies I've had the pleasures of dealing with, other than EVGA.

Needless to say, this will be the LAST time I ever buy from G.Skill.

To G.Skill: Fix your sh**, you've had plenty of time now, but it seems you care so little about your customer base, and care more about the money than anything else, you've "acknowledged" the fact that people are having issues with this RAM left and right, but continue to do nothing about it., not only that, but whoever you have on your customer support team, fire every person on that team, and start new, I have no idea how you guys can even stay afloat with how god awful that customer support team is, I haven't been able to get in contact with ANYONE at G.Skill since day one of receiving these in the mail, I've emailed and called multiple times with nothing in return.

Seriously, G.Skill, what in gods name is wrong with your support team over the phone? I call, they hang up IF they answer, and when they do answer, they don't even say the companies name, just "Hello?" like I'm calling a buddy of mine or something. This is the biggest joke of a company I've ever seen, Corsair will always be my number one choice in RAM now, and if this last set of RMA'd RAM doesn't work, I WILL be getting a refund, I don't care what measures I have to take, but I will get a refund, one way or another.

To anyone thinking about buying this garbage RAM: Don't bother wasting your money and giving these money hungry pathetic pieces of sh** your money, go for a more respected company like Corsair, sure you may like how this RAM looks better, but trust me, it's not worth the trouble you will have to go through.
    Last edited by Ghostfire; 05-26-2017, 08:46 AM.

Is there a like button here? Maybe I'm too used to twitter.

Comment

G.Skill is caught in the middle of a multi-vendor problem. They are using the SMB Buss to send control data to the RGB DIMMs. Unfortunately, due to companies like Asus not using the proper interlocks to avoid buss collisions, DIMMs are getting corrupted. It's a sticky problem and G.Skill claims they are working on it.

Not that I am in ANY WAY defending how they have handled this. I have posted earlier that at the LEAST, G.Skill should be manning the phones 24/7 to offer FULL REFUNDS to ANYONE who has experienced these problems, and have decided not to play anymore and move on. No they obviously did not test this. Some companies, like EVGA, did not even allow SMB Bus writes so there was NO WAY this LED RAM could work on those motherboards. I read they have since updated some BIOSs to allow this but it's a dangerous game until EVERYONE releasing software that accesses the SMB Buss gets with the program and starts using the proper interlock mutex.

ASUS is the number one offender, and that is who G.Skill decided to partner with. Now, Asus AURA is trashing LED DIMMs left and right. G.Skill needs to own up and offer FULL REFUNDS on LED RAM for those who have had enough. There is NO excuse for how they are handling this. I guess they have never had a MASSIVE problem like this. Now their true colors are showing....

As for Corsair, yes their customer support is pretty good but their Link software is a buggy mess. Spend some time on the Corsair forum and you will find out how well they handle that.
      Last edited by BillB; 05-26-2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah I can't even get in contact with them to get a refund even if I wanted to, I've sent multiple emails, another three emails last night, all because they don't understand how a phone works.

I understand some companies make mistakes, but yes, like you said, when a company makes this big of a mistake, own up to it and have your support team at the ready within a drop of a dime. If I call, and get hung up on over and over and over and over again, you have a problem with your support team and it NEEDS to be fixed, not only that, but they hardly ever answer the phones.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to lawyer up and get my money back if they refuse to answer me, unfortunately, I'm not kidding either, I know it's a drastic move for such a "minor" problem, but I'm sick and tired of this companies lack of support, and utter refusal to refund people.

But, speaking of, I'm already in talks with a lawyer now, and we're discussing some things, seeing if it's enough to make a lawsuit with. I'm not fuc**** around with this any longer.

Comment

I am tired of checking the download and these forums EVERYDAY for an update.

Comment

Good luck, an update will come in another, I'd say... two to three years, when this RAM is no longer a viable option.

They don't give a rats ***, why do you think they're having us beta test a useless product? Instead of releasing it ONLY when all the problems are fixed, like oh I don't know, a SMART COMPANY WOULD DO?

No, the only thing they care about is money, not us.

It's showing very clearly with the many issues with this RAM, not even sure I can respect ASUS at this point anymore either.

That's why EVGA and Corsair are my two favorite and trusted companies, yes they care about money, every company does, but they show a very clear care for their customers, and jump through hoops to make sure customers are taken care of with any help or troubleshooting they need.

Comment

This is not a pure software issue. G.SKILL must redesign the whole Trident Z RGB series because writing LED control codes to the SPD EEPROM chip is a very(!) very dangerous thing! As I told, the new software update will not fix the issues with corrupting SPD data. Software must communicate directly with the LED controller without using the SPD EEPROM device. Another way is to use special consequences of SPD read commands like Crucial Ballistix M.O.D. utility. But this is not possible in the current Trident Z RGB's hardware implementation!

Comment

Agreed. They just posted a new version but you are right. It is dangerous but I think should work IF EVERYONE (every program) accessing the SMB BUSS uses the proper interlocks, which as far as I know is not the case starting with ASUS AURA. So G.SKILL can we get some insight into how you are dealing with this? Until you do, the fix is a band aid and people are still playing Russian Roulette with their RAM.

Comment

Working...
                X