Gigabyte AIVIA Osmium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte AIVIA Osmium

Yep I finally decided which mechanical keyboard to get....The above won out due to the USB3.0 pass through, simple design, integrated wrist rest and availability/price over the Ducky DK-9008 Shine II and the Steel Series 7G.

My girlfriend was so kind as to purchase this keyboard as a xmas gift this year so I have only really been using it since the 25th...and so far so good. I have adapted to the Cherry MX Red (ultimate gaming) switches wonderfully and am now typing faster than ever, and am tempted to buy something with Cherry MX Blue, tactile, typist, switches but these boards are expensive and i really cannot justify having multiple keyboards.

Just in case any one is interested....
    http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/....aspx?pid=4179

The build is wonderful, matte, textured finish to avoid fingerprints. Very solid and heavy enough not to shift at all unless you pick up the keyboard and move it. Interestingly enough it is the only keyboard I have ever used that I have not had to use the little foots for. It is quite a thick keyboard and has a slight angle to it though.

The backlight controls are very nice, I vary the brightness according to the conditions, keeping it quite low during the day but making them a bit brighter when I am gaming at night. The USB3.0 pass through works fine with my USB3.0 card reader... I will test a USB3.0 HDD as soon as I get my hands on one again. Audio pass through and volume control work very nicely, no degradation of sound quality compared to my front panel ports.

The most important part of a keyboard is the actual keys. I was in fact a bit nervous about jumping to RED switches, but they have been very nice, and it only took me about 20mins to adjust to them. I am still bottoming out the keys but that seems to be the thing with RED switches. Thankfully they are not too much louder than my old Logitech (rubber dome) keyboard because I bottomed that out too.

The only negative I have is in regards to the Macro keys and the GHOST MACRO Engine, the pre-set macros only had play/pause, skip forward, skip backwards, launch email, launch excel, and I have not been able to work out how to create my own launch commands (the most logical record didnt work). I never did feel the need for macro keys, but they were an added bonus so I am not going to weight negatively on this.

Overall I am very happy with this keyboard so far.
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
    Corsair HX850
    Antec 900
    Winidows 7 -64bit

I'm considering getting this beauty myself, the design definitely drew me to it, cool review, thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
    X