F3-1866C10D-16GAB + MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 + AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1866C10D-16GAB + MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 + AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz

After doing extensive research on what I should buy for my Vishera setup I have finally ordered everything and it will be in tomorrow. I was wondering if I could get some help on what I should set my timings at for my motherboard so I can run my RAM at 1866. Also is it possible to run 32GB of this RAM @ 1866?

Thanks

The 8350 is actually rated as a CPU for 1333 DRAM, though AMD advertises it as UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL, while you might get 32GB to run at 1866, realistically it might be able to run 1600 with 32GB, and that will still take a good OC and additional voltage to both the DRAM and the MC (Memory Controller). They have a couple of charts showing some of their CPUs likely DRAM scenarios that are hidden away and you have to dig to find, here's one:

http://support.amd.com/PublishingIma...mory-table.png

Also, if you do try and run 32GB, it will be best to have a single set of 32GB where all 4 sticks are tested to work together, mixing sets, even of the same exact model, can be problematic with and rig, and especially so with AMD due to it's weaker (than Intel) MCs.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well I should be able to run my RAM @ 1866 Dual Channel with 2 X 8GB chips shouldn't I?

Comment

Should, yes. The 8350 is suppose to have a stronger MC then did the 8150, which was also advertised to run 1866 'natively' (it was also a 1333 true native CPU) and many couldn't handle 1866. Haven't yet head of anyone really having any problems with the 8350 at 1866 and 2 sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Will I be able to overclock the CPU with the RAM running at 1866?

(Thanks for your help Tradesman)

Comment

Can't see it being a problem, but most (extreme) OC rigs tend to have a single RAM stick.
            AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
            Noctua NH-U9B SE2
            Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
            G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
            Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
            XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
            Corsair HX850
            Antec 900
            Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Yes, how high will depend on your skill (not to mention your time and patience )

Tman

Comment

Just wanted to reply back with what I've been able to overclock so far.

Right now I've got it @

4.5GHZ Vishera 8350 8 Core 23.5 Multiplier (stable) liquid cooled running at 16C
                16GB 2X8GB DDR3 @ 1866
                Rated FSB: 2600MHZ

The RAM is actually running at Cas Latency 9.

I've got it to run for a while at 4.6GHZ but I get blue screens in Windows 8 so as of right now 4.5GHZ seems to be stable. I would like to get the CPU to 5GHZ, but I don't know if that's possible... any advice would be greatly appreciated. Turning off turbo core seemed to add to stability and AMD cool and quiet is bad for liquid coolers so it's off.

Do I need to raise the NB and CPU voltages to overclock over 4.5GHZ?
                Last edited by BlackhatEspeed; 12-20-2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Prob take them up just a bit at a time till stable, don't want to really run more than needed for stability to help keep the heat down

Tman

Comment

Comment

Sweet! Lookin good!

Tman

Comment

looks very sweet
                        AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                        Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                        Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                        G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
                        Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
                        XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
                        Corsair HX850
                        Antec 900
                        Winidows 7 -64bit