Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many wipes of the drive, with wiper.exe, does it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI~ You all lucky guy!

It's seems that the wiper.exe worked fine under Vista x64 Ultimate ?!

But, my problem does not resolved!

So, What's happened about this case?

COnfiguration:
    NOtebook:T9300/4G RAM/ATI HD3650
    A single drive that the falcon 128G as driver 0, and installed Vista x64 Ultimate

Comment

Wiper.exe does not work under Windows 7 RC1 x64 on a Lenovo T61P. Hosed operating system and reboot to blue screens of death. Will be updating to new firmware to see if that helps.

Windows 7 has trim command, so do not need to use on this OS.

Comment

Originally posted by rdc5168 View Post
        HI~ You all lucky guy!

It's seems that the wiper.exe worked fine under Vista x64 Ultimate ?!

But, my problem does not resolved!

So, What's happened about this case?

COnfiguration:
        NOtebook:T9300/4G RAM/ATI HD3650
        A single drive that the falcon 128G as driver 0, and installed Vista x64 Ultimate
        you can not use wiper.exe on the same drive which holds the operating system when it is a 64 bit system...it apparently upsets the disk structure and then it will not boot.

my recommendation would be to set up your SSD drive as you would want it , ie., i partition my drives with 3 partitions..then, run the wiper.exe on that Falcon (SSD) drive when it is mated with another drive which holds the OS...this way, it will do its thing BEFORE you add the operating system.

once done, separate the SSD drive from the other hard drive and then install the operating system on the Falcon (SSD) drive...this is applicable only with 64 bit operating systems..my understanding is that wiper.exe does not upset the (apple) cart when it is a 32 bit OS.

Comment

Originally posted by ace-a-rue View Post
          you can not use wiper.exe on the same drive which holds the operating system when it is a 64 bit system...it apparently upsets the disk structure and then it will not boot.

my recommendation would be to set up your SSD drive as you would want it , ie., i partition my drives with 3 partitions..then, run the wiper.exe on that Falcon (SSD) drive when it is mated with another drive which holds the OS...this way, it will do its thing BEFORE you add the operating system.

once done, separate the SSD drive from the other hard drive and then install the operating system on the Falcon (SSD) drive...this is applicable only with 64 bit operating systems..my understanding is that wiper.exe does not upset the (apple) cart when it is a 32 bit OS.
          Hi~ ace-a-rue!

I will try it again and follow your recommandation after some days.

I hope it'll work, Thank you!

You will have a good day,Nice guy!

Comment

Yes! It's Worked after reboot, too!

I was boot form the winpe cd, then run the wiper.exe and it's worked !

So, when the single SSD driver has installed vista x64 OS,if you boot from the SSD and run the wiper.exe ,Your OS will be hunged after reboot,The recommandation is Boot from CD or another Disk driver, then run the wiper.exe, it will be OK!

Thanks ace-a-rue again!

Comment

Originally posted by ace-a-rue View Post
              ...what?

I used it perfectly fine on Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate and my OS is installed to my Falcon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynix View Post
                ...what?

I used it perfectly fine on Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate and my OS is installed to my Falcon.
                i am not sure, "WHY" but it happened to me and others...what size falcon drive are you talking about?

Comment

hey guys,

i got:
                  • 1x G.Skill Falcon 128GB
                  • 1x W.D. 640GB Caviar Green
                  • 1x W.D. 1TB External HDD
                  • No RAID
                  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
                  • my OS is installed in my SSD, i did a clean install; my first build
                  • i did some tweaks on my SSD (i.e. disable superfetch, disable prefetch, disable defrag, etc)

So after seeing those, can anyone recommend me on how to execute the wiper.exe? do i need to boot the wiper.exe from a different disk drive, such as my W.D. 640GB? or boot from a CD? and does wiper.exe wipe out any data from the SSD if done correctly? and so is it recommened to execute it 7 times?

thanks!

Comment

ptah,
                    wiper.exe should be booted from your SSD drive WITH an operating system already installed, but there are ways around it if you can get into DOS without an operating system on it. Simply run the trim command (wiper.exe) and it will "refresh" your SSD drive. Chances are your data will be wiped out of the SSD drive, so make sure you back up your files as necessary. If you want to execute wiper.exe 7 times, go on ahead. Does not hurt to do so since it simply wipes your drive clean every time.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      ptah,
                      wiper.exe should be booted from your SSD drive WITH an operating system already installed, but there are ways around it if you can get into DOS without an operating system on it. Simply run the trim command (wiper.exe) and it will "refresh" your SSD drive. Chances are your data will be wiped out of the SSD drive, so make sure you back up your files as necessary. If you want to execute wiper.exe 7 times, go on ahead. Does not hurt to do so since it simply wipes your drive clean every time.

GSKILL SUPPORT
                      okay, thanks for the reply!

also is this meant to happen:

the "barefoot_report : system error" thing. that meant to happen?

Comment

Just an FYI:

After running wiper under Win 7 64 bit, the computer would not boot windows back up. I might not have had the computer in AHCI though. If I remember correctly, I had my Falcon 128GB with the OS installed. I also had another single 30GB SSD installed. Then I had two APex drives in Raid 0. When running wiper, the first two SSD's would be trimmed, and the computer was rebooted. After doing this, the OS would not start.

Now I have Vista 64 bit going with the following configuration:

BIOS setup with AHCI:
                        128GB G. Skill Falcon (OS boot drive)
                        30GB Vertex drive
                        2 x Apex drives (software raid 0).

Wiper works perfectly! Computer restarts without a hitch.

Comment

Not sure what I've done but I need help!

I have a 128 GB Falcon with Vista x64 installed (not partitioned). I ran the wiper tool this morning from my Samsung HDD and now I can't get my PC to boot. What can I try or will I have to re-install vista again?

Comment

Working...
                          X