No announcement yet.

Fm-25s2s-60gbp2 disappearing from bios.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got the replacement from newegg, does the same thing. So either it is defective or not compatible with this laptop since no other drives have problems with this laptop.

Comment

One thing i did see a couple days ago, is the imputs are a little 'off' on the drive, meaning they're a little off center from other standard drives.

I took it upon myself to investigate.

I unscrewed the drive from my bracket in my m11x, made it as far 'up' on the bracket as i could and rescrewed it on (to hopefully make a better connection between drive and port). I'm also going to wedge some cardboard behind the drive to hopefully give it even more support.

Since forcing it as forward as possible, i have not seen a crash (~24 hrs). I will continue to monitor it and let you guys know if I see it crash again.

Comment

A Shared Experience

Hi,

This thread has many common problems that I had with a short-lived Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2. I purchased it from NewEgg in November 2010.

I purchased two of the units and set-up a RAID0. The RAID0 worked for about three days, then the BIOS RAID detection would fail to see one of the drives. This kept happening randomly. I would disconnect the other drives in my system. This solved 3 out 4 occurences. There was one time that the BIOS fixed itself on a re-boot.

Eventually, I moved the drives SATA port connections to the first two ports on the Intel controller. I thought this would might help the BIOS work the detection. My system has six SATA II drives. Previously, the drives were connected randomly to the ports. The problem disappeared.

However, four days later, I had left the computer on idle and went to watch some TV. I came back an hour later to a 'Insert Boot Disk' error on the screen. The BIOS would no longer recognize one of the 60 GB drives. I declared the drive dead and received a RMA from NewEgg.

Eight days later, I'm up and running again with RAID0, featuring two Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2, stationed on the first two ports of the Intel controller. My motherboard is a ASUS P6X58D-Premium.

I have my computer on a power-strip which I turn off after the computer shuts down.

grits

Comment

I just had a epiphany... When I went to turn my computer on I noticed I went to turn on my speakers first for music. My excitement came to a stand still when i noticed the drive was not booting again from a fully powered down state. So remembering my speakers being on and my musician friend telling me about "Phantom Power" I shut down my computer turned the power off on the power supply and turn my speakers off. Waiting for a minute or two I turned everything back on to find the drive posting like normal.

I'm going to run some test to see if my hypothesis is correct.

Please feel free to do so yourself as well because there are alot of factors involved still including.

Stereo Sytems

Microphones

Mixing Tables

TV tuners

Any musical equipment that plugs into 1/8" 3.5mm or addon PCI Soundcards

I don't like knowing that the admin will just keep telling people to relax and people returning perfectly good drives when all you have to do is get new speakers. Some people use there computer for musical production as well.
          Last edited by ToSeeForum; 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Still going strong for 3 days (about 10 hours of operating a day) after jamming my HDD into the laptop has hard as it would allow me to.

After all this time troubleshooting, it's starting to look like a connection issue to me...

Comment

The same problem

A FM-25S2S-120GBP2 Information Firmware version : 3.1 on a Mainboard Model GigaByte EP35-DS3R rev 2.1 Bios ver f4 ( the last one ).
              It did not work from the first time. In my Frustration I manage to make it work by unplug the power cord and plug it back while the computer is in the boot process.
              I am going to rma it. And it?s a lesson to me, to read the product forum ( any product ) before buying it.

Comment

well my replacement officially died and it wasn't in my laptop that had problems before it was in my desktop, won't come up at all, two in 3 weeks, I think I am just going to sell the replacement I get from newegg.

Comment

So, it just crashed again, and couldn't be read from the bios (hang when trying to detect) until I removed and plugged it back in.

Longest streak yet, 8 days.

Regardless, this should not be happening.

The drive, out of the blue, just stops working. I get a bluescreen of death, and a restart. I can't find any crash reports on the hard drive, because the drive stops working which causes the bluescreen.

This is driving me absolutely bonkers because there is no rhyme or reason...

Comment

Ever since the crash I mentioned above, I have not been able to detect the SSD any of the 4 different machines I've put it in. I guess the drive finally kicked the bucket....

Time for an RMA i guess.

Comment

Using SATA External Power Adapter

I had the same problem. Connect the external Sata AC Power Adapter was so normal in bios.

I'm convinced the problem is ssd.

AC Power Adapter Spec
                      12V 2.0A
                      5V 2.0A
                      Last edited by idol75; 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem as everyone else. I recently built a high end i7 system for a customer and I used the 120GB SSD GPB1. The speed was great but I quickly realized once the computer was shutdown and then powered on again, the controller would not initialize the SSD whatsoever. The BIOS would then no longer see the SSD at all and it would require unplugging the power connector to the SSD and replugging it. Everytime it will then see the SSD again in BIOS and I would have to readjust boot order again as the Windows installation was on the SSD.

I'll be shipping the customer's drive out tomorrow for the RMA. This is my 2nd G.Skill product to purchase and my first let down. I've always seen positive feedback from G.Skill memory and I'm quite surprised that something like this could have slipped through to so many people. There's clearly a good number of people with the same problem. Hopefully a G.Skill tech will at least follow up here and give us an update with what exactly the problem was.

I really hope my replacement drive doesn't have a defective controller as well.

Comment

I just got my replacement drive today. Very fast turn around. Thanks Gskill. Now to install it and OS. I sure hope this one doesn't have the same trouble. I'll post up once a report as soon as there is something to report.

Comment

So far, so good. Installed OS and drivers and apps with many ensuing reboots without a problem. Hope things keep up this way.

I haven't been keeping up. Did Gskill figure out what the problem was and more importantly was it fixed?

Question: how do I determine which firmware my ssd has? I assume it is 3.1 but how do I verify? Thanks!

This is the 120gb NON-pro ssd.

Comment

Hi nikldan

your SSD is FW 3.1, please see the AS SSD, it showed just under model name.

Comment

I finally have time tonight to fill out the RMA form and request a number.

I will post here again when I get my new drive and let you guys know if it too is broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X