Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falcon "Garbage Collecting" Firmware Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by attempt2 View Post
    Are you using the correct Wiper version for your firmware? I have my SSD/controller set to IDE (not AHCI) and wiper runs fine.
    I have 1571, and I used the version of Wiper that's in the thread that provides the download link to Wiper.zip.

In other words, I got it here: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=733

Comment

Originally posted by TwoCables View Post
      I have 1571, and I used the version of Wiper that's in the thread that provides the download link to Wiper.zip.

In other words, I got it here: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=733
      Try this one: http://www.supertalent.com/support/d..._PRT_v1571.exe (and remember to back up your data first, just incase)

Comment

Conflicting infos everywhere it seems. When in win7, do we need to run wiper.exe manually yes or no? I see threads where they say Yes, and others where they say no.

I'd love GSKILL's answer on this?

I love my falcon btw, runs super well win7 x86.

Comment

For Falcon drives there is still no support for TRIM in Windows 7. You have to wait for the new firmware based on v.1711 or newer (like Supertalent and OCZ released). So the answer for you question is: you should still use Wiper and hope, that G.SKILL will release the new firmware soon :-)

Comment

We just have to wait...

Comment

Anyone tried flashing to the supertalent fw?

Comment

Not sure if that is wise, the OCZ drives have the same PCB as G.Skill... supertalent have a different design.

Comment

Originally posted by thewusman View Post
                  Thought I'd save everyone the trouble.

I had some time today to try moving over to the dark side.

It was short lived to say the least.

I installed OCZ firmware 1.1 using the jumper and then 1.3 and finally 1.41b (in that order). Everything went smoothly. 1.1 was a full jumper erase and flash, the other 2 only needed a bootable USB drive to update - I do like that method of non-destructive flashing.

I've just got hold of Windows 7 RTM 64bit ultimate and have activated it - so was in the mood for some testing to see what all the raving was about over on the OCZ forums.

Just to recap before I post ATTO results : G.Skill Falcon 128 -> OCZ Vertex 1.1 -> OCZ Vertex 1.3 -> OCZ Vertex 1.41b (the new garbage collection firmware).

Well ... it's a piece of ****. Honestly - don't waste your time with it.

ATTO scores went down about 10 to 15 % on all sizes and I encountered random freezes/lockups under Win 7, not serious, but almost as if the drive had "gone to sleep" - I have read other people experiencing this on the OCZ forums as well - I suppose the drive is doing it's background GC thing and then snaps back to life when the PC is not idle. What a load of crap.

Overall - Win 7 boot times took about an extra 2 to 3 seconds, the Win 7 install took waaaaay longer for some reason beyond my explanation.

After a long day, I put the jumper back on and went back to G.Skill falcon 1571 firmware. Wow - what a pleasure. The performance is back. Installed all apps and ran wiper and back to 100%.

G.Skill may take longer to release their firmwares, but all, be patient, we are blessed with drives that simply ROCK compared to the vertex series. They could only wish their drives were as fast as ours - perhaps that's why OCZ are releasing so many beta firmwares. Who knows.

Keep it up G.Skill ! I'm sure your future releases won't disappoint.

ATTO results : back to Falcon 128 1571 firmware after fresh install and running wiper with a restart:

I installed 1571 and forgot to copy the OCZ 1.41b ATTO screenshots from the falcon before flashing (doh, ffs, that's the bit I REALLY wanted everyone to see - I fail). But the scores were around 10-15% less for each score you see here. Perhaps someone else as curious as I will post some OCZ 1.41b ATTO scores in the near future, or an OCZ vertex owner could do the honors just to provide the visual evidence.
                  In your procedure on your flashes to the vertex, the only thing im wondering did you use sanitary erase after your last flash to 1.41b before installing the OS. In the OCZ forum especially if you are going to reinstall the OS you should use sanitary erase to bring the drives back to new. So im wondering did you sanitary erase your drive?

Comment

I have installed a couple of Falcon 64gig drives in Raid0 and the results are very good. It would be nice to see a firmware update to include Trim and garbage collection, as wiper does not run under Raid0. They seem awfully slow with any kind of updates.

Comment

I think garbage collection are OCZ exclusive, Its in there Summit series also and that has the samsung controller. The GC is not in any other samsung products.

Comment

I would wait until the new firmware are fullly tested. right now the current firmware works great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ritchwell View Post
                          I think garbage collection are OCZ exclusive, Its in there Summit series also and that has the samsung controller. The GC is not in any other samsung products.
                          The Falcon is an Indilinx drive not Samsung... as for GC, OCZ have it on their Vertex firmware and Super Talent on their new beta 1711 supposedly. Whether we get it for Falcon is probably up in the air... i wish G.Skill would be more open/informative though.

(Although its not relavent, the samsung drives need Firmware 18C1 for the proper GC, that was supposedly available at the beginning of July so any Samsung drives (including Summit and Corsair PXXX) before that dont have it properly implemented yet and there is no update tool so far)

Comment

supertalent has one of the worst support, i have the ultradrive me on my lappy and have the 1711 fw installed there is no info regarding gc on the fw the support tell us to still use wiper. So we can not assume that the super talent has the gc incorporated into there firmware. Unlike ocz they are very open to explain there fw and support are awsome.
                            im aware that falcon are idilinx im just giving an example that gc maybe ocz exclusive since ocz and idilinx work on it together from a review i read sometime back. here is the link from ocz regarding release of the fw to the public to have gc on there summit drive it explains that they are waiting for the go ahead from samsung to release the fw.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=60596

Here is the link of the 2 approaches from samsung and idilinx(ocz):

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...=expert&pid=11

As you read in this article it states: "OCZ has been cooking up their own custom firmware with background Garbage Collection"
                            Last edited by ritchwell; 08-24-2009, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zsnow View Post
                              I would wait until the new firmware are fullly tested. right now the current firmware works great for me.
                              Yeah I am in the same boat, hell even with v.1570 I had zero issues. But if and when a garbage collection comes into play, I will be one Raid-0 zero owning fool!
                              CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
                              MB ASUS P6X58D-E
                              GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
                              RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
                              PSU Corsair AX 850W
                              SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
                              HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
                              CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
                              GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
                              RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
                              SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb

Comment

Common GSkill 1711+GC

When is GSkill going to announce whether they are going to suppor the latest firmware?

I will be buying another manufacturer if they do not start to get with the program and update their customers!?

I thought GSkill was better than this?

Comment

Working...
                                X