Windows Installation on another computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Installation on another computer

Okay so I'm getting the parts in for the computer I listed in the member registery, except for the motherboard... by monday. The motherboard hasn't shipped yet (no idea why it doesn't say backordered) I was wondering if there would be any issue with dropping the HD in my computer, installing and updating windows. and then when the MOBO comes in put it in his computer? (I forget, can you use/update windows without the product key?) I'm pretty sure I remember that if you change hardware windows will recognize this as a different computer and say it is not genuine anymore.

I guess my question is will I save any time by using my computer or just cause more issues by doing it that way?
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

As long as you have all the memory settings configured properly according your hardware, everything should be fast and stable.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

So dropping the HD in one computer, installing windows, then putting in a second computer won't cause an issue with windows and/or drivers (figure it doesn't but it will be going from an ivy bridge rig to a Haswell)
      ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Generally with Win7 it will work, a few steps involved, A) on the first mobo - don't load the drivers for it, leave it with the Win defaults and don't go on-line and activate Win, wait till you get the new mobo B) when you get the new mobo, add drive and let Win do it's thing with the default drivers, then load the latest drivers from the mobo site, run a registry cleaner (Wise has a free one), then can start the Win updates and activate

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Newegg made the situation right and overnighted the board so I actually got it the same day as the rest of the stuff and never had to use this idea. I'm glad to know if I run into it again I can just use my computer to install windows. Thanks for the info Tman

Comment

Working...
          X