Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to update Firmware on Phoenix III

Hello,

I just installed the Phoenix III 120GB (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091C1HTG/) on my m17x laptop and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed all windows updates up to the latest and the SSD seems to be working well so far.

I followed the advice posted by the stickies in this forum such as enabling TRIM through the registry. While attempting to update the firmware to 4.2, I keep getting the error message "Firmware for this drive not found in package". The firmware update tool shows my firmware version to be G503 and the serial number doesn't have "GS" in it. I tried both firmware 4.2a and 4.2b but no luck.

Any idea if my firmware is already updated to the latest? Do I need to apply all previous firmware versions first? (2, 3, 4).

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,

the firmware 4.2 is for SATA II, the new firmware for SATA III should be release about the end of December, thanks!

Comment

Thank you for the clarification!

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
        Hi,
        the firmware 4.2 is for SATA II, the new firmware for SATA III should be release about the end of December, thanks!

Two questions.

How do I know what firmware version I have on my Sata III SSD
        and
        Where is the updates located as well as what program is used to install
        Thank You

Comment

Hi,

you may check the firmware version by 3rd party software HD tune, SIW, Everest....

or check it by the following:

Start the "Computer Management" tool - easiest way is Start, Run "compmgmt.msc", click on "Device Manager" under "System Tools" in the tree-view on the left, and then click on "Disk Drives" in the tree-view on the right.

Pick your SSD from the list, right-click and select "Properties".

Now go to the "Details" tab of the device property page, and select "Hardware IDs" from the drop-down list.

Also we will post the release news/ update link in our SSD forum, please note!
          Last edited by G.SKILL; 12-02-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

new firmware released:
            http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11893

Comment

Installer doesn't find any Phoenix III SSD

Thank you for posting the GS505 firmware update.
              My Phoenix III SSD has firmware GS504 installed and is running good.

PROBLEM
              I download and unzip the files.
              Read the pdf and started the field installer as per Admininistrator.
              The installer scans and doesn't show any PhoenixIII FM-25S3-120GBP3 drive.
              Nothing comes up at all after scan.

I rebooted and tried again and no drives show up at all.
              This is a new clean Win7 Ultimate install and the Phoenix III is my C: boot drive.
              SSD was formatted as per Win7 install NTFS.

Any suggestions?

Comment

please make sure that your drive is connected to one of the Intel 6GB/s ports, not the Marvell 6GB/s ports, also make sure that you were at "AHCI" mode, the drive should be able to work!

Comment

please make sure that your drive is connected to one of the Intel 6GB/s ports, not the Marvell 6GB/s ports, also make sure that you were at "AHCI" mode, the drive should be able to work!
                  I am 100% positive I'm on a SATA 3 port as I have tested the SSD using ATTO bench test software. I'm also getting appropriate MB per second reads and write as you can see with attached picture.
                  And I have ACHI active in bios for the drive
                  Last edited by IggyAZ; 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IggyAZ View Post
                    I am 100% positive I'm on a SATA 3 port as I have tested the SSD using ATTO bench test software. I'm also getting appropriate MB per second reads and write as you can see with attached picture.
                    And I have ACHI active in bios for the drive
                    After a month I'm still unable to upgrade my SSD to the new bios.
                    Any others have similiar problems with 505?

Comment

Hi

Still not working? Have you tried with other PC or not? you are the first one report about firmware update failed.

Let us know if you couldn't update it with other PC.

Comment

Hi

Still not working? Have you tried with other PC or not? you are the first one report about firmware update failed.

Let us know if you couldn't update it with other PC.

Don't have any other computer to test it on.
                        What I'm saying is the install software doesn't even see the GSkill SSD.
                        For some reason each time I try it just doesn't show anything inthe large window so I never get to select any SSD to install.
                        I know this is weird.
                        I have tried ay different configurations but no luck.
                        The SSD is working well up to standards so I'm not worried and I'm not in any loss by not upgrading to the 505 firmware. I will try to find another computer to try installing the firmware on.

Will keep you posted.
                        Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X