Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with SSD's that are freezing/hanging/BSOD/inaccessible boot device...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those with SSD's that are freezing/hanging/BSOD/inaccessible boot device...

I was running fine for 2 years with the G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-120GBP2 2.5" 120GB, but recently I had issues with the computer becoming drastically slow/freezing to the point where I can move the mouse but not open any programs. Safe mode produced the same issues. Eventually it led to several BSOD's which then resulted to inaccessible boot device on startup. I ended up RMA'ing the drive and with the new drive, I did a fresh install of Windows 7 and started to put my programs on it. Unfortunately, the same exact symptoms started to occur. I ended up checking my replacement ssd's health with PartedMagic and it said it was fine. I repartitioned and reformatted the drive with Gparted and reinstalled Windows and was able to boot up again. Eventually, I found the culprit to my issues. Kaspersky Internet Security 2013!!!

TLDR... If you use KIS 2013 and you're suffering from freezing/hanging/bsod's and everything in your system was stable before, I recommend downgrading to KIS 2012. It solved all my problems. It turns out my first drive didn't actually fail. KIS 2013 seemed to be incompatible with my ssd.

Hi timekrc,

Really thanks for sharing this information to all of us, will going to check this issue right away and let you guys know!!!

Comment

The SSD or HDD used shouldn't cause Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 or other system software to lock up the OS.

When installing Internet Security or Antivirus software, or fresh installing an OS, please make sure you do the following:

1) Reboot when prompted. I had a friend who bypass these warnings and kept installing program after program in a fresh install. His OS ended up locking up because he didn't reboot when prompted.

2) When fresh installing an OS and software, please make sure you install in the following order: drivers, Windows Updates (including IE, DirectX, etc), Antivirus/Internet Security/Firewall software, then stuff like internet browser, MS Office, Photoshop (large installs), and finally other miscellaneous software. The idea is to install software that makes changes to the OS or require low level OS access first, so that other software installs won't conflict or have their settings unintentionally changed.

Your SSD is locking up, probably because another software is constantly accessing or changing files on your SSD, so Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 is scanning these items, which causes a lockup on your system. Another thing you can try is to install without internet connection.

Otherwise, you might bring this to Kaspersky's attention on their forums and see if any other users experience lockups on their system using other hardware. My search seems to point to that Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 is rife with bugs and may have caused a conflict with another software of yours.

Hope this helps.
      ultra terminum

Comment

I'm fully aware that KIS 2013 shouldn't lock up my system, but the fact is that it does. There has been multiple reports on their forums stating how KIS 2013 locks up the system when attempting to update. For me, it is the problem. I was just trying to share my findings with others. I've done multiple reinstalls and have always done drivers first followed by Windows Updates and eventually my KIS. Other software wasn't even attempted to reproduce the crashing. They were aware of this issue w/ KIS 2013 and advised people to use a registry hot fix. That only worked for a day and then the same symptoms came about. Ever since I received my 840 PRO 256GB, I've tested this 5 more times with my Gskill. Every single time I put KIS 2013 on it, the crashing would be right around the corner.

Comment

wow... that's a major KIS2013 bug. >_<

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure the G.Skill community appreciates your input.

And I'll be sure to avoid KIS2013 in the future.
          ultra terminum

Comment

Hi

after installed the KIS 2013 with 120GB/240GB SSD, seems like everything on the right track...

can't make sure where is the problem yet, but will drop a note to the Technical department.

however, thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Working...
            X