X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Success Story

Hi guys, just wanted to post up a success story of mine
    I have the 128gb g.skill falcon with the latest firmware
    When I installed it into my new MBP 15" 2.8ghz I had frequent freezing and difficulty installing OSX
    I was reluctant to apply EFI firmware update 1.7 because I had read it can cause problem with third party drives (some not being detected at all)
    But I decided to take the risk because my notebook was within the 14 day return period, and now all the freezing is gone! What I did was install 1.7, then ran Onyx repair permissions and system clean, then PRAM reset
    I have not experienced any freezing since then (a couple of days now)

Here are pics of my setup:
    I run the falcon as a boot drive, and took out the superdrive and put in a 500gb storage/backup drive

Here were my xbench results post 1.7

System Info
    Xbench Version 1.3
    System Version 10.5.7 (9J3050)
    Physical RAM 4096 MB
    Model MacBookPro5,3
    Drive Type G.SKILL FALCON 128GB SSD

Disk Test 262.28
    Sequential 212.07
    Uncached Write 285.21 175.11 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 238.53 134.96 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 115.02 33.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 405.05 203.57 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 343.63
    Uncached Write 129.16 13.67 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 443.55 142.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 1860.20 13.18 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 904.34 167.81 MB/sec [256K blocks]

On a final note, I've been having problems logging on and viewing these forums in the last few days, so perhaps G.skill can fix this

Also, G.skill, can we expect a trim / wiper tool for use in Mac OSX? This would be really good

We are definitely working on a Mac OSX trim/wiper tool, so we will post that when its ready. The forum definitely has been a little screwy, but hopefully it is fixed now.

Thanks for the review.
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

That's good to hear (the MAC OSX trim command thing), when did you guys start working with OSX? Must be real recent.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It is on the to-do list, but as you know we are slowly coming around.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Do you have any dates on when you'd expect to have something ready. Not to rush you, just want to see when I should check back again.

Comment

Bump - Any more news on the OSX trim function?

Comment

I'll (eventually) be running OSX 10.6.1 on my PC, was thinking of running Windows 7, but really not missing it enough to bother dual booting it!. So a TRIM tool would be much needed, unless a suitable alternative can be found

For example a firmware flash (using Hirens BootCD or similar) that would null all the cells again, and just replace the data from a backup (Most likely in my case "Carbon Copy Cloner" There's only 2 backup utilities I know of that can work with HFS+ properly!. 1/ An imaging program by "Paragon", and 2/ a Freeware bootISO called CloneZilla

Comment

Working...
              X