Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macbook + Falcon SSD + iStat Pro = Random Freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macbook + Falcon SSD + iStat Pro = Random Freeze?

I'm investigating a link between using a Falcon SSD in my Macbook/Pro and the iStat Pro dashboard widget that causes random freeze on my machine.

System specs:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro (Late-2008 Unibody 15")
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01
    SMC Version (system): 1.33f8
    Storage Subsystem:
    NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia
    Product: MCP79 AHCI
    Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

G.SKILL FALCON 128GB SSD:

Capacity: 119.24 GB
    Model: G.SKILL FALCON 128GB SSD
    Revision: 1571
    Application in question:
    iStat Pro 4.9
    http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

MacOS X Leopard 10.5.8

-----------

I have been facing freezing issues every 5-6 hours of use, with no major system load. Occurrence of the freeze seemed random, but it always starts with a single application freezing, resulting in the 'beachball' cursor, and eventually every application that I've clicked on would end up freezing after a second or two. The only way to get out of this is by forcing the system to shutdown by holding the power button.

Another observation would be the system would still respond to key presses of the F1/F2 brightness keys command and when I close the display lid, the system would try to sleep (display off) but would not completely enter sleep mode. It does however gets noted in the console.log after a forced restart where it states a system sleep is initiated by shutting the display lid.

The freezing happened on both my original mirrored copy of the OS and a fresh-reinstallation.

I've read up on the OCZ forums where certain users are having issues with system freeze due to the same program. I would suspect it is the built-in SMART reporting feature that somehow triggers the Falcon drive to stop responding.

At this stage, I am 3 hours into the testing phase, with the disabling of the iStat Pro SMART reporting feature.

Fingers crossed that it would be the end of the random freezing issues.

P/S: Is anyone having the same or similar freezing issues?

At current stage, with the SMART reporting of the iStat Pro widget turned off, up time has reached 1 day, 2 hours and 19 minutes.

It is safe to assume that either there is something wrong with iStat Pro's SMART reporting feature, or the Falcon drive is still not handling SMART commands properly. Can any of the technical staff look into this?

Comment

The random freeze is officially gone after disabling the SMART reporting feature in iStat Pro widget and a steady 3 days of uptime. Anyone from the technical team keen to look into this issue and implement it into the next firmware release?

Comment

I will forward this to the engineering department to see what they can find out.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          I will forward this to the engineering department to see what they can find out.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT
          Thanks, will be glad to hear any news or contribute any further if needed.

Cheers.

Comment

I can confirm that I'm experiencing the same random freezes when I have SMART enabled in iStat Pro.

After disabling the SMART checks I've been using my Macbook Pro without any freeze for several weeks without any issues.

Comment

Yes! I have also experienced this problem
              After disabling SMART, it no longer crashes on the dashboard

Comment

Working...
              X