Sniper gets hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper gets hot

RAM I'm using, F3-2400C11D-16GSR, 16GB Sniper, 2x8GB, running at 2472, 11-13-13-31, 2T
    Motherboard, ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    CPU, Intel i7-3770K OC'd to 4600.

Doing any type of RAM or CPU stress tests causes this RAM to get so hot I can't touch it for more than 8-10 seconds. This is the first time I have had RAM have any type of heat. Is this normal for the high performance DIMMs? I also have some Sniper 2133 which gets hot as well.

Another issue with the 2400 set. DIMM-A will pass memtest in any slot, DIMM-B will fail in slots 3 and 4 but pass in slots 1 or 2. With both installed in either slots 1-3 or 2-4 memtest fails. With the 2133 4x4GB installed memtest passes. Very odd.
    Last edited by Britton30; 09-20-2013, 11:21 AM.
    I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Not that you wouldn't know this, but they are 1.65 v sticks which would naturally make them warmer than 1.5 v memory. You also have a minor overclock on them which would again add a bit more heat. In Hind sight I'm not sure I've ever grabbed my memory after running a stress test, but they are "warm" to the touch after gaming for sure as I've moved them around in slots before. How much voltage are you throwing at them? Also are the temps on the rest of the board a bit warm? Could be an airflow issue in general? do you use water cooling or a big *** HSF on your processor?
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

They are getting 1.65V and the setup is not in a case, I'm benching it before I commit to a case. I'm using a closed loop water cooler, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme.
      The RAM I have in a Sandy Bridge rig is also 1.65V and feels cool to the touch.

Comment

The lack of any case fans and anything of the sort may cause some heating to happen, additionally ive noticed on builds for others that a water cooled cpu tends to increase temps because most cpu fans provide some air on the memory
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Might have a bad stick (DIMM B), does A by itself get hot?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
            The lack of any case fans and anything of the sort may cause some heating to happen, additionally ive noticed on builds for others that a water cooled cpu tends to increase temps because most cpu fans provide some air on the memory
            I have thought this may be an issue too. I do have a closed loop system, Water 2.0 Extreme.

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            Might have a bad stick (DIMM B), does A by itself get hot?
            Yes, both get hot singly. I think I may have noth a bad stick and two bad slots, such is my luck. DIMM A has also failed in slots 3-4.
            Last edited by Britton30; 09-20-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X