No announcement yet.

Any optimization I should do for MacOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any optimization I should do for MacOS?

I read the top threads about windows optimization like partition block size, disable superfetch...
    Since I'm using macbook, is there anything i should do after install?
    My falcon is on the way, should arrive next week.

BTW:I assume it will be the latest firmware. Is there any guide how to upgrade firmware on mac? I have windows running on vmware fusion.

thanks for purchasing G.Skill product
    But we are not so familiar with MAC OSX
    for the MAC user, we'll try to get the update software and manual for MAC ASAP
    sorry for the inconvenience now

G.S

Comment

Best optimization - don't buy a new 2009 13" or 15" MacBook Pro. They have crippled these machines with SATA I instead of the SATA II that even the new white plastic MacBooks have. For some reason the new 17" MBPs seem to have the SATA II.

I would also be interested in hearing about optimizations for OSX. I might just stick the Falcon 128 that was supposed to go into my new 13" MBP into my Mac Pro.

Comment

On my Unibody (early 2009)

I've disabled the Sudden Motion Sensor:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

Also disabled the 'Put the hard disk to sleep when possible' in Energy Saver.

Finally the Hibernation feature with 'smartsleep' utility (to reclaim some space).

I'm using the SSD in place of the Optical drive (as the OS) and a normal WD scorpio blue as the main storage.

No freezing afterwards.
        Last edited by Rick67; 06-19-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips Rick I just applied those to my new MBA with SSD

and I will be doing that when i install my falcon on my mbp

Comment

A new question about MacOS with SSD.
            Do we have to run wiper once a while like windows have to do?
            If yes, how? boot into a windows winpe and run? will that erase my mac partition?

Comment

Wiper.exe can only run in Windows.
              The only solution for now is to do a time machine backup to another HD (external)
              Booting with the OSX DVD destroy the partition with disk utility and recreate it.
              Reboot once more with the OSX dvd and restore the backup with time machine to the SSD.

I've just did that after the new firmware and it felt faster right away.
              If you're using a second HD (external) you may want to transfer the Firefox cache to this HD (search google).

Comment

When you say destroy the partition do you mean format it?
                From what I understand wiper is different from format
                Wiper removes the deleted blocks, but formatting doesnt, so the process you describe isnt really the same thing
                You would have to install Windows on the drive and then run wiper on the drive to clean out the blocks

Comment

Working...
                X