No announcement yet.

[Only for Phoenix / Phoenix Pro] firmware 3.1 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my first attempt to update the firmware the update clearly failed with a corruption error and the system would not do a cold reboot from the SSD drive.

The second attempt after recovering W7 to the old HDD and running the firmware update from the HDD was successful. My WEI score before and after the firmware update was/is 7.7.

I re-ran SS SSD Benchmark and it now shows a score of READ 161, WRITE 207 and OVERALL 454. Very close to the benchmark run with the SSD before fooling around with the firmware update. So... I think everything is OK. I am not in the mood to spend several more hours doing the erase routine and the re-install of W7 and all the other stuff if it is not needed.

I guess one would have to ask, "What real world benefit did I get from the firmware update?"
    Last edited by Ken429; 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Phoneix Pro 60 SSD upgarde

Hi,

I bought a new Gskill Phoneix Pro 60GB SSD five days ago with FW 2.1. I ran a lot of tests with FW 2.1 and Microsoft AHCI driver before I upgraded to FW 3.1, here is my experiences:

1. The FW upgarde went smooth with Microsoft AHCI driver (it is not working with Intel AHCi driver).
      2. After the upgrade I suffered serious performance degradation in almost every measurable parameters of the SSD. This means not only 2-3MB/s but 20-30MB/s.
      3. Then I switched to the latest Intel AHCI driver with FW 3.1. It seems it solved the performance problems, and in some cases a slight performance improvement can be seen with the new firmware compared to the original FW 2.1 + Microsoft AHCi situation.

I'am not finished my investigation so I will run a few more tests, then report back.

Dchard

Comment

Problem updating firmware

Hi!

I have a problem running firmware update. My drive doesn't get recognized?

MBO is GB X58A-UD3R
        SSD is connected to the first (intel controller) SATA port
        OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Here is a Screenshot:

Can anyone help me?

Comment

mmesh

mmesh:

This can be caused by two things:

1. The drive is not in AHCI mode. Check your BIOS settings to verify AHCI is selected instead of "IDE", "Legacy IDE" or "ATA".

2. Your are not using the Microsoft AHCI driver.

The screenshot you made is not enough high resolution so I cannot determine which one is your problem.

Maybe your motherboard is too old for AHCI mode, in that case you have to upgarde your drive in an AHCI capable motherboard.

Dchard

Comment

@dchard

Sorry to inform You but You are wrong on both accounts.

1. MBO is fairly new so it has AHCI mode in BIOS settings and it is set to that option.
            2. I'am using standard MS AHCI driver -- I've let Windows install appropriate drivers.

What else could be causing this?
            Is there any news on creating a bootable disk for installing firmware updates independantly from OS installed on the actual machine?

Comment

Why cant i upgrade to 3.2 ? Says no drives found. Intel RST 10 btw

Comment

Originally posted by mmesh View Post
                @dchard

Sorry to inform You but You are wrong on both accounts.

1. MBO is fairly new so it has AHCI mode in BIOS settings and it is set to that option.
                2. I'am using standard MS AHCI driver -- I've let Windows install appropriate drivers.

What else could be causing this?
                Is there any news on creating a bootable disk for installing firmware updates independantly from OS installed on the actual machine?
                Vista or Win7? If so, UAC prevents this program from accessing the device firmware so you need to escalate... Have you tried right clicking the exe and select "Run as administrator" ?

Comment

Working...
                X