Why FalconII not as good as FalconI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why FalconII not as good as FalconI?

I was wondering why the Falcons where out of stock and I noticed on the G.skill website FalconII details.
    FII http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=240
    verse
    FI http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=124

As you can see the stats are less for the FalconII than the FalconI. Why is this?

Falcon II probably has TRIM enabled by default.

Comment

I wanna know because if FalconI better than FalconII I will get one before they all sell out.

Comment

Originally posted by aka1nas View Post
        Falcon II probably has TRIM enabled by default.
        I think your probably dead on, must folks don't have the pertinence or the knowledge to update firmware?s. I give G.Skill & Indilinx props though for even allowing us the ability to flash our own drives vs. sending it in like Corsair does for updates on FW.
        CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
        MB ASUS P6X58D-E
        GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
        RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
        PSU Corsair AX 850W
        SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
        HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
        CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
        GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
        RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
        SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb

Comment

yep, I was wondering if they would continue telling people about those fake marvelous speeds... so it seem like they went down a BIT on the speed specs..

G.Skill has a bad habit of never writing about what's inside their falcons.. you have to search very deeply to find out about the parts they use.. new indilinx controller or just the new firmware.. we will have to wait for a review to tell us more about it, but it must be only about the new firmware.

Comment

Falcon II has a new controller and is not a remake of the Falcon I.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hoooo. nice... thanks for the answer... where could we get more specs ? therefore , a falcon 1 and 2 would not be compatible for raid neither. ?

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
                yep, I was wondering if they would continue telling people about those fake marvelous speeds... so it seem like they went down a BIT on the speed specs..

G.Skill has a bad habit of never writing about what's inside their falcons.. you have to search very deeply to find out about the parts they use.. new indilinx controller or just the new firmware.. we will have to wait for a review to tell us more about it, but it must be only about the new firmware.
                If I remember correctly, the speeds listed are always an "up to" amount. If that's true, then that means that the drive has the ability to go that fast; it has the ability to go up to 230/190.

Besides, this is still an immature technology.

Comment

http://www.techfresh.net/fly-high-with-falcon-ii-ssds/
                  Here?s the latest addition to G.Skill?s SSD line-up, the Falcon II. Available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB sizes, these 2.5-inch drives are based on 34nm NAND flash memory chips and provide read/write speeds of up to 220/110 MB/s for the 64GB model or 220/150 MB/s for both 128GB and 256GB models. These drives also feature a SATA 3.0 Gbps interface, Indilinx?s new ECO controller, a 64MB of cache memory, a MTBF of 1.5 million hours and support for Windows 7?s TRIM command. Sadly, there?s no word on pricing yet. [DVHardware]

Comment

So should everyone race out there and get a falcon1?

Will G.Skill continue to support the falcon1?

Comment

I'd wait for a Falcon II. Sounds like it will be good, with 34nm flash, and an Indilinx Controller it should be pretty decent.

Comment

Roger,

I will wait.

Comment

I was wondering about the speed of the Falcon II, but now I see that it's slower than the equivalent Falcon I, because of the TRIM... Heck, my Falcon I 64Gb, has the same speed (now, because of the new firmware) as the new Falcon II 64Gb.

The only difference I can see, must be the price, maybe Falcon II will be cheaper because of the size of the NAND memory (34nm).

And I just hope it gets in my country by Christmas time (I was already going to buy a 128Gb Falcon, but if a new one appears I'll byte )
                          Last edited by V3ctor; 11-13-2009, 09:59 AM. Reason: mistake...
                          C2Q Q6600// Gigabyte EP45-DQ6// 2x2Gb Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz// G.Skill Falcon 64Gb // XFX ATi HD5870 1Gb GDDR5 // Samsung T260// CM690 Watercooled: EK Supreme
                          AMD X2 2350BE// ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI// 4x1Gb Corsair/OCZ // Viewsonic VX922// WD250Gb// Chieftec
                          Toshiba A200-21T // C2D T8300 (2x2.4Ghz)// 3Gb DDR2//ATi HD2600// Hitachi 250Gb

Comment

F2 is cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by V3ctor View Post
                              I was wondering about the speed of the Falcon II, but now I see that it's slower than the equivalent Falcon I, because of the TRIM... Heck, my Falcon I 64Gb, has the same speed (now, because of the new firmware) as the new Falcon II 64Gb.

The only difference I can see, must be the price, maybe Falcon II will be cheaper because of the size of the NAND memory (34nm).

And I just hope it gets in my country by Christmas time (I was already going to buy a 128Gb Falcon, but if a new one appears I'll byte )
                              G.Skill has also stated it uses a different controller, but still and Indilinx one.

Comment

Working...
                              X