This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD CPU + G.Skill DDR3-1600

If you have an AMD Phenom II CPU motherboard combo, and DDR3-1600 memory, the system BIOS should be configured as follows:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    [Non-Black Edition CPU]

Method #1

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333.

2. Set CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 (this will overclock the memory frequency to DDR3-1600)

2a. Raising the bus frequency will also overclock the CPU, so if you do not want this, you will need to lower CPU Ratio to your desired frequency. If you do want to keep it, you may need to raise CPU VCore to stabilize the overclock. If you have a Black Edition CPU, then it should be capable of the overclock without any voltage adjustments, but for non-BE's most likely you will need to raise CPU VCore.

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
    [Black Edition CPU]

Method #2

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600

2. Set CPU-NB Frequency to 2400MHz (DDR3-1600 / 2 = 800MHz, then x 3) CPU-NB Frequency should always be 3X DRAM bus frequency

3. Set HT Link Frequency to 2400MHz

4. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

6. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

There are many different motherboards and memory, but they require the same changes. If you are unsure of what to change, refer to your motherboard user's manual. It will have more information about each option and its purpose.

If the system is slightly unstable, you may need to raise CPU-NB Voltage. This is the memory controller voltage, so raising this voltage can help with stability. Also, if you are using full slots or attempting any overclocking, raising this voltage can also help with stability.

Once these changes are made in BIOS, your system should be stable. For memory above the standard, majority of the time AUTO default settings will not work, so these settings are required for a perfectly stable system. Recently we have noticed that without manually setting DRAM Voltage, it can cause stability issues.

If you continue to have problems, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.50V. These are good settings if you can not get DDR3-1600 to work. These are fail-proof settings to test the memory and make sure they are working properly. If the memory does not work with these settings, it is possible that your memory kit is bad.

As always, we can assist if you have any difficulties, so feel free to create a post.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM.

I do agree with this.

And sigh.. I am more venting some thoughts here.. as I am experiencing this..(ironically I am a very very anti M$ kind of bloke normally ;p) but I can't help but feelign perplexed by this:

stable under all the necessary tests and as a 24/7 system about to go out to customer it has been as expected , no bsod's no erratic behaviour (bar the expected issues with CCC and sleep/hibernation in windows).

4.1 on air , cores @ sub 20 during winter time here with no extra fans in case, and only during torture tests during OC phase, did I hit 40s..

BUT that silly WEI still only gives my RAM 5.9 in the score... ripjaws running at
    1600 MHz @ 1.64 V , CL8.. why on earth is it not in the 6.X at least lol... I know some others have had even 7.2 I believe with these.. seriously... is there something I am missing? :/

I run the cpu-nb @ 2.8 GHz! (HT ~ 1.9 GHz). .. what .. am I really losing that much on HT boost to stability? I mean , I do not really want to risk any loss in stability as that is what I do for a living (custom solutions often with OC guarantees) but since this is my first g-skill kit (and as I experessed I love their *stability*) I still am getting a tad perplexed on the score... it doesn't look good when that is the limiting factor :/ (well also the HD 3300 when I remove the dedicated gfx but you get my point).

On the memmaxx2 test thing on high priority I get copy: 14ish GB, read 10.8ish, 9.3ish write and erm 50ish latency and about 10ish GB on 'score'

sigh.. any ideas , thoughts, explanations with regards to the WEI?

I personally didn't give a rat's ar*e but kinda looks silly when I forgot about this and told the customer it's 6.9 earlier lol

Comment

oops, couldn't edit... but ye.. 1600 MHZ being 240 x 10:3

Comment

Hi all

I'm intentioned to buy the MSI 890FXA-GD70 with 16GB of this ram: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=357

There is no issue with this combination of components right? I want to overclock a 1100T to almost 4 Ghz (If I can 4,4/4,5Ghz).

Comment

solar,
          you only have 4GB? If you have low available physical memory, it can show a low WEI.

Senryu,
          No problem, but I would suggest the 16GB kit instead of two 8GB kits to avoid possible compatibility problems.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

what is the allowed max voltage in this memor coz my board dont have exact volt of 1.5v its 1.54v?

Comment

Yes, only got 4 GB on this computer. But will soon build one for me, and I definintely need an 8'er hehe

4 is nice but wayy too little these days with VM's. Games ain't so important any longer now that we are 'old men'

Comment

Again, sorry.. didn't notice edit has gone.

Well, it is a base installation of a Windows 7 system with about 1.5 GB of 4 in use.. I mean.. come on, how is that 'little memory left'?

Comment

eg. [Running ~ 1.65 GB of RAM ]when testing, but even on base install similar

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                    Senryu,
                    No problem, but I would suggest the 16GB kit instead of two 8GB kits to avoid possible compatibility problems.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH
                    Thank you!! Awesome support from G Skill (the opposite of the italian MSI Forum xD) I'm going to buy this ram ;D

Comment

Non P55 motherboard

I have an AMD 1055T CPU with an MSQ-M4N68T-MV2(B) motherboard with 4 GB DDR3 1333 memory. I want to upgrade to 2x4GB F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH
                      at 7-8-7-24 1600 speed.

Will it work with the same process documented in this thread at rated speed even though the motherboard is not the AMD P55 specific type?

How do I calculate the response (speed) increase or benefit?

Comment

Hey all! I am very new at this so my apologies if my questions are dumb, so...

1 - " CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 " the closer thing I see in the BIOS is CPU /NB, is this it? If it is, all the numbers are in the thousands, so is it 2400MHz?

2 - After the initial "tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24" settings i have a lot more, what do i do with those?
                        read to pre time, Row Cycle time , Wrtite recovery time, ras to ras delay, read to write delay, ect...

3- Should i modify something on the DRAM driving configuration?? if so, what?

4- what about all the other voltages options like CPU VDDA, HT, NB, SB, SidePort memory?

THANKS!!!!!
                        Last edited by estebanworld; 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM.
                        ----------------------------------------------
                        Phenom II x6 1090T Black Ed.
                        Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
                        8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL DD3 1600 PC3
                        Windows 7 64 bit

Comment

In regards to this part of the setup:

"For DDR3-1600 CL9 kits, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) and this would be just as fast without needing to overclock the system."

Does this mean that you can change the frequency and timing to 1333 and 8-8-8-24 on the DDR3-1600 memory kit, or does it mean i should have bought a DDR3-1333 kit instead?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by estebanworld View Post
                            Hey all! I am very new at this so my apologies if my questions are dumb, so...

1 - " CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 " the closer thing I see in the BIOS is CPU /NB, is this it? If it is, all the numbers are in the thousands, so is it 2400MHz?

2 - After the initial "tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24" settings i have a lot more, what do i do with those?
                            read to pre time, Row Cycle time , Wrtite recovery time, ras to ras delay, read to write delay, ect...

3- Should i modify something on the DRAM driving configuration?? if so, what?

4- what about all the other voltages options like CPU VDDA, HT, NB, SB, SidePort memory?

THANKS!!!!!
                            the 240 refers to the ht. reference clock, it is the clock the FSB runs on, (Front side bus) and which sort of propagates out to all the other things.. hence why it also is called bclk or base clock (various jargons on intel and amd chipsets) . So , the cpu/NB frequency is not the base clock. If you have for example a 10 multiplier on cpu/nb however, you would get 2400. If you can set your frequencies manually (in other words, you can override multipliers).. hmm not a good thing to be honest when you don't really know what you are doing. If you wish to overclock, please keep in mind, you can easily screw things up (depends a bit on the motherboards way of handling bus errors, due to OC say).

If you have an unlocked chip , eg. an AMD black edition or a XXXK intel chip as examples, then I recommend to OC with the multiplier, check temps and do torture tests.. as it is the cpu which will give most benefit in an OC.
                            Since this is a memory forum however, I presume you hope to gain some noteworthy perfomance form OC?ng memory (running it on 1600 from 1333 say).
                            Then ye, the advice is to instead of changing the multiplier, rather increasing bus speed but this overclocks your entire system potentially so hmm, it is after all what you have to do, if you *don't* buy faster modules to start with. (if system is all

It can be easy as a dream, or as hard as a nightmare, arbitrarily determined by the mood and attitude of your lil components

I *strongly recommend you *NOT* to try and set your base clock to 2400 though

Anyway, if you have 1333MHz modules, setting them to 1600 is an overclock measure and not necessary if you just want to get your system going.

You, since being 'new'to what? setting up your BIOS? it should all be on auto; memory needs perhaps to be set manually if it is 1600 MHz kit on the AM3 platform as it natively runs on 1333. That;s about it.

forget all the driving parameters! and also 'those other numbers'.

If this is about overclocking in general, I suggest you read up a lot on it on relevant sites

To the other posters:

To get a relative indication of perfomance, you can divide the rated memory bus speed by timing. eg. 667/7 , 800 / 9 800 /8 and so forth. This is just a number like 95, or 110 to help you quickly determine which kit is faster. Again, in the land of memory, these differences in speed are somewhat negligible within say 2 steps of either timings or frequencies.

Bandwidth is effective speedf x bus width, eg. 128 bit x 1600 MHz = 16 MB x 1600 s^-1 and so on.

How much this does is not an awful lot, this is a known thing in current computer systems. Quantiity will outdo quality as long as the quality gaps aren't too massive.

I am not sure what a poster means by AMD P55? P55 is an intel chipset for the 1156 socket, AMD is obviouxsly not.

Each day millions live in poverty; these small differences are more noticeable in synthetic benchmarks than in real applications. It is up to you how much you wish to indulge yourself. It can be interesting and fun but to those who this is a tad Greek to, it can seem as it could mean a world of difference. Not really.

But.. for the record so I don't sound like I am trying to make some moral lesson here... I like these things myself very much, and it *is* a selling point in the tech world, whcih is why we have a company like G-Skill for example which A. have a nice and friendly forum and B. quite good kits!

I personally said I could just NOTICE by experience when I got mine, they would be good. Indeed they did have slightly less OC headroom than I expected but stability.. WOOOSHH
                            !! great.. and how is the perfomance ... great too! love this system, in a batch, the others are all happy too, and I haven't had the heart to get rid of this final computer. I am loving it it's just toooo stable and tooooooo energy efficient and toooooo quiet haha

Comment

Originally posted by ratm1221 View Post
                              In regards to this part of the setup:

"For DDR3-1600 CL9 kits, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) and this would be just as fast without needing to overclock the system."

Does this mean that you can change the frequency and timing to 1333 and 8-8-8-24 on the DDR3-1600 memory kit, or does it mean i should have bought a DDR3-1333 kit instead?

Thanks for your help.
                              Yes, you can always set a lower speed on a kit.

You could of bought a lower speed kit but it doesn't matter if you have a 1600 one. In fact, by running a kit on lower speed means yo ushould be able to run it with lower timings, which is pretty much the same thing.

As I mentioned above.. take 1333/7 and 1600 / 8 will give you perfomance ratios of 195 and 200 respectively.. kinda the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X