DDR 1600 unstable at 1667?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR 1600 unstable at 1667?

I have the following set: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231358

I'm overclocking my processor so when I change the system multiplier my only option is to run my memory at 1667 or to drop it down to 1328 (I think).

The system is stable at 1600 and 1328 but at 1667 it's unstable (BSODs) even if I bump the voltage.

Is it normal for 1600 rated memory to be unstable at only 1667?

It happens and varies with the IC type used on the memory and its characteristics. Sometimes adding voltage helps, other times you need to relax one or two timings or just try a mixture of both.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      It happens and varies with the IC type used on the memory and its characteristics. Sometimes adding voltage helps, other times you need to relax one or two timings or just try a mixture of both.
      It's currently 9-9-9-24 and I bumped the voltage to 1.6. Do you think it's worth taking it to 1.65?

I get BSODs and it will throw errors if I run memtest at 1667 @ 1.6v.

Comment

Have you tried it with less than 1.6V? There are some ICs that actually don't like higher voltages. Other than that i would probably try raising timings next, before going for 1.65V+ (it just does not look very promising at this point).

Maybe start with 9-10-9 first and if that does not work go on with 9-10-10, 10-10-10, 10-11-10. Most of the better boards will take care of the secondary timings themselves, so just leave those @ AUTO unless you think there are some that might be too tight.

Comment

What CPU do you have? The RAM should have no problem at DDR3-1667, it can handle DDR3-1866+ easy with the correct settings. You may have something else not set correctly. Post some pictures of BIOS and we can take a look.

Comment

Have you tried it with less than 1.6V? There are some ICs that actually don't like higher voltages. Other than that i would probably try raising timings next, before going for 1.65V+ (it just does not look very promising at this point).

Maybe start with 9-10-9 first and if that does not work go on with 9-10-10, 10-10-10, 10-11-10. Most of the better boards will take care of the secondary timings themselves, so just leave those @ AUTO unless you think there are some that might be too tight.
            Ya, I tried the lower voltages first starting with the standard 1.5. It won't even boot into Windows at anything below 1.6. I'm probably stuck here.

I guess performance-wise there's probably not any noticeable difference from running at something like 10-10-10 or just letting it sit at 1328 memory clock.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              What CPU do you have? The RAM should have no problem at DDR3-1667, it can handle DDR3-1866+ easy with the correct settings. You may have something else not set correctly. Post some pictures of BIOS and we can take a look.
              CPU is a core i7-920 2.6Ghz running at 3.3GHz.

I don't think it's the CPU overclock because if I run the CPU at 3.3 but drop the memory speed down there are no issues whatsoever. If run the memory at anything above 1600 whether the CPU is overclocked or not it causes BSODs and crashes. So even at standard CPU speed (2.6GHz) the memory running at over 1600 will cause instability/crashes. My mobo is a GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.0 with the most recent BIOS. ( http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro....aspx?pid=3265 )

Comment

What type of stopcodes did you get with those BSODs?

Comment

What type of stopcodes did you get with those BSODs?
                  Well, first off, anything above 1667 will cause the BIOS to forcibly reset the speed (string of beeps and then drop into the bios where it tells me a clock speed setting failed)

At 1667 I get IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs usually and memtest also shows errors. If I run the memory at 1600 or less there are no BSODs and memtest doesn't show errors.

Comment

Yeah, that hints at the memory. Have you tried 1667 with slightly relaxed timings yet?

Comment

Yeah, that hints at the memory. Have you tried 1667 with slightly relaxed timings yet?
                      Nope, just tried increasing the voltage up to 1.6v. Timings are still 9-9-9-24 I believe.

Is it worth it to increase the timings rather than just run it at the lower clock speed? I'm not sure what the performance difference would be between those two options. Either way I'm guessing it's pretty negligible.

Comment

If it is worth it, is something that only you yourself can answer. Try it and compare the actual performance of both settings with benchmarks that are relevant to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X