Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi crunchie.. sorry, if it was not clear I was referring to the cpu side NB-fsb frequency.. not the NB itself. It is here the memory controllers reside ont he cpu die (DCT0/DCT1) and it is these which of course will affect the memory interaction... eg. from that perfomance guide I quoted from, should be three times the memory clock (that is to say, if you run 1600, then 800 x 3 = 2400 MHz).

My point was that for many who might be having issues with 1600 MHz, g skill admins propose a bump in voltage which is good but really is a subsequent resolution to the fact that one should try and hit this ratio of 1:3 between 'fsb' and cpu-nb freq.

Comment

I have an access to the AMD NDA documents, so I've found that the same problem is related to the HY-D1 revision too. So, stay informed!

Comment

Originally posted by solar View Post
        Hi crunchie.. sorry, if it was not clear I was referring to the cpu side NB-fsb frequency.. not the NB itself. It is here the memory controllers reside ont he cpu die (DCT0/DCT1) and it is these which of course will affect the memory interaction... eg. from that perfomance guide I quoted from, should be three times the memory clock (that is to say, if you run 1600, then 800 x 3 = 2400 MHz).

My point was that for many who might be having issues with 1600 MHz, g skill admins propose a bump in voltage which is good but really is a subsequent resolution to the fact that one should try and hit this ratio of 1:3 between 'fsb' and cpu-nb freq.
        Good point, this is why it is recommended to use the DDR3-1333 setting (1 : 3.33), then overclock CPU bus speed from 200 to 240 for DDR3-1600. There is a 1:4 ratio for DDR3-1600, but as we know voltage tweaks are necessary to stabilize that. By setting bus speed to 240, that is how you achieve the 240 x 10 (2400MHz) CPU-NB Frequency stated optimal by AMD.

If you notice some CPUs such as quad core BEs have a problem with CL7, well if the 1 : 3.33 ratio is used, it should be better capable of CL7. Otherwise, CL8 needs to be used for DDR3-1600 (1 : 4.00).

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Hi there.. wow .. did you read another post I made or so?

I did in the end put the stable configuration for this computer like so:

HT ref (fsb): 240

CPU: 3960 MHz @ 1.3875V

cpu multi : 16.5 Ye, it is 3.96 GHz but in all honesty, the cpu itself is so awesomely stable on all stress tests and general usage (I been running vm's, OPK, win blinds/ dreamscape, deskscape, games/ benchmarks, and normal install/com0pilation/Visual studio) and no instability , no BSODS nothing... this chip actually purrs at 4.1-4.2 GHz too (well 4.2 I didn't test too long but 4.1 no probs AT ALL ). However, this is when I ran the stock 200 HT ref. and if I even THINK about going over 240 on the ht. ref, unfortunately the ram I got really starts moaning. (WIll sum it up again at the end of the post). If only this chip had unlocked and had fairly stable 3th and 4th core, I would o fkept this machine; but since I am impressed with this revision of the 555 I will probably by myself a 955.

On air... and this computer has been running now 24/7 with tests, games etc. running all nights and normal use during days and even the cores have yet to hit 50 C mark .. wow!

let's see... I get NB freq. up to about 2800 stable without much probs so I do not know what someone meant by forget about it on the Deneb , and that you need the Thubian.. I disagree entirely.

CPU-NB (aka NB VID): 2880 MHz @ 1.35V (240 x 12)

HT: I decided to go for this in the end (why.. well 4 days of testing on trying to OC the ram as much as possible left me with realising , trying to punch out some more 'perfomance' to stability is so ridiculously small ratio that it simply isn't worth it... eg. 1-2 % increase would probably make stability drop by a factor of 4-5!)..

(Unfortunately my Asus board doesn't allow for HT multiplier adjustements, which would of course made the memory perfomance/stability ratio much better than mentioned above)

so ye.. HT: 1920 MHz @ 1.24 V

NB: 1.1V (stock).. no point in adjusting this as I am not using a PCI-E atm and no need in making the IGP unstable.

DDR3 1333, CL7 , 1.5 V G skill ripjaws 4 GB (2 sticks).

Settings: 10:3 ratio X 240 HT ref. => 800 (x2), 1600 MHz @ 1.64 V (I as the specs of the cpu stating max. 1.4V and you mentioned 1.65V you will support, I stuck to this... The voltages have *not* needed 1.64V actually and I think this could easily be 1.54-1.58V but to be honest, after the 4 days of pushing limits I reverted to this value.. and haven't bothered testing stability any longer so I just left it at 1.64V. I recommend others to target 1.6V here really ; I 've just been lazy!

I admit, with their specs and being listed at 1.5V, I was thinking they were going ot have quite a bit of OC headroom... however they do not... but stability wise I think they are superb! and now I know I will get G skill sticks again!

On the note about the ratio... so ye.. running 240 on the 10:3 ratio (aka 1333 Mhz/1:3.33) gave me a 1600 MHz OC with timings (not the tightest buty these are at least perfectly stable on this build) of 8-8-8-8-24-30 (2-4-4-4-5)-110 bla bla with the humble benchmarks of ~14.2 GB/s mem-copy, 10.8 GB/s mem-read, 9.4 GB/s mem-write and 'mem-score' 10.2 GB/s (maxxmem2). I got higher but at the cost of stability and voltage and was entirely pointless.

So for those with a Black edition, setting ratio to 4:1 (1600 Mhz) and running stock ht. ref actually was not stable at all for me with this kit.. but with ht. ref bump, this is where I feel the comp is at it's best with no loss of stability.

So there you have it!

Rip-Jaws 2x2Gb, 4GBRH (CL7-1333)... Stability: 8/10 (so far), price: 8/10, durability(voltage + thermal considerations): 8/10, OC headroom: 6.5/10 , Overall: 7.6/10!

Dec. 2010 , 65 euros in Europe... For that price , having 1600 MHz @ CL 8 of DDR3 for me is a definite positive perf./cost solution!

I hope I will soon get a stronger set soon which will be fun to test.. more in the range of 8-8.5 (at the cost of another 30% though prolly ). Boooo hooo @ europe

PS. I am very well impressed with this HD 3300 IGP... I run Modern Warfare 2, Dirt 2, UT3 and Civ V for testing before I ship this one out.. and I am enjoying the games with no lag at all!!!! AT ALL (med. settings ).

Very impressive.

Ok... long rant /end.

PS. I have a inkling you are an intel lad yourself G. Skill [admin] and it is interesting indeed to see how the intel and amd chips behave with respect to HT/NB/CPU FSB...

Let me guess.. you got an i7-870 or 875K?

me loving the i7-870.. awesome chip for a great price!!! I think personally, that is the higher end intel chip which gives best perfomance/price and can compete with amd in that respect. The i5-750 too by all means, but then perhaps a tad more specific to gaming and the like.
          Last edited by solar; 01-19-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Hey to start out gonna state that i'm not very technical with computers but know some.

I have a phenom II x4 965 BE cpu and i'm running http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=224 ram and are experiencing bsod's and freezes and my minidump files say sumtin bout memory_corruption but i've ran memtest86 and gotten no errors. I was running 2x2gb sticks and about a month ago moved up to 4x2gb sticks, and just started encountering this problem. I have not changed any settings in the bios are there setting that need to be changed to make my system stable? the freezes and bsod are not really frequent maybe a couple times a day of computer being on all day. Ty

Comment

Kahne;

Might check the sticky for setting up 1600 sticks, and might need a little additional to the CPU/NB for 4 sticks,

Can be found here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ok should i use same setting as the 1600's? as i'm using 1333?

Comment

Sorry, thought I was on a 1600 thread, so ignore that thread (me bad) first check you have the latest BIOS for your mobo, then you would manually want 8-8-8-24 and CR at 2N (or 2T if it uses the T designator), 1.5, then if that doesn't stabilize things, look to add + .05 to DRAM voltage and/or + .04 to CPU/NB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Kahne View Post
                    Hey to start out gonna state that i'm not very technical with computers but know some.

I have a phenom II x4 965 BE cpu and i'm running http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=224 ram and are experiencing bsod's and freezes and my minidump files say sumtin bout memory_corruption but i've ran memtest86 and gotten no errors. I was running 2x2gb sticks and about a month ago moved up to 4x2gb sticks, and just started encountering this problem. I have not changed any settings in the bios are there setting that need to be changed to make my system stable? the freezes and bsod are not really frequent maybe a couple times a day of computer being on all day. Ty

i have the VERY SAME problem and nothing i read in this forum helped so far. The only thing i managed is to get the system stable with random settings and keep the pc on for the longest time possible because when it reboots the crashes comes back. If you ever find an answer please share with me.

Comment

The early 965s had trouble with 4 sticks and in many cases were limited to 1 stick per channel, the C3 version of the 965 alleviated it to a degree, can try increasing DRAM and/or CPU/NB voltage, maybe up + .1 on each

Tman

Comment

Im sure the Question was probably answered but reading some of these comments im not the only one with the Phenom II 955 x4, and F3-12800-CL9D problem. ive messed with the Ram settings and set the times to 9-9-9-24 and 11-11-11-29 and switched from T1 and T2. with no luck. I put the voltage on the NB to 1.4v and the DRAM voltage to 1.560v, with no luck.

Mobo is GA-MA770T-UD3.

I did overclock my cpu to 3.8ghz at 1.425v and left the HT alone completley. still having a problem though :/ any one with a similar setup have luck at 1600mhz with a certain voltage setting?

Comment

Have you looked at:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Tman

Comment

Hi for everyone
                            my system spec :
                            CPU : AMD phenom II x2 565 BE unlock to B65
                            MAIN : Asrock 870 extreme3 R2.0 (with last bios)
                            RAM : Gskill ripjawsX 2x2gb 1600 cl8
                            i can not overclock the RAM !
                            when set in 1800 cl12 , beep beep ........ signal, sound likes the overclocked failed !!!
                            what is my problem ?!

Comment

Can try more voltage to the DRAM and the CPU/NB, but prob the 565 just can't carry the sticks
                              Last edited by Tradesman; 09-20-2012, 08:12 PM.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                                Can try more voltage to the DRAM and the CPU/NB, but prob the 565 just can't carry the tricks
                                CPU NB voltage : 1.35
                                CPU voltage : 1.45 ~ 1.5
                                NB voltage : 1.3 ~ 1.35
                                RAM voltage : 1.5 (default) ... 1.65 ~ 1.7

Comment

Working...
                                X