Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD corruption due to hardware mistake

To G.SKILL R&D folks:

At overclock.net forum there is a thread called How do I read/modify/flash SPD/XMP profiles on DDR4 EEPROM?. One guy said that SPD of his TridentZ RGB F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR modules had been corrupted before he found out that the "DRAM SPD Write" BIOS option was set to "Disabled". He has an ASUS Maximus IX Formula motherboard. As you know, this BIOS option prevents SPD EEPROM from being written. This means SPD was corrupted not by G.SKILL RGB control software! And even NOT by software at all, because any attempt to write data to the SPD EEPROM fails. After enabling the "DRAM SPD Write" he had an opportunity to successfully restore SPD with Thaiphoon Burner utility.

My question is: do you guys admit that you made a mistake in the hardware design of the Trident Z RGB series? I'm asking because the problem is much serious as it sounds. You are trying to fix SPD issues with releasing the new versions of your RGB Control software, but they cannot be resolved in that way.
    Last edited by facehook; 05-31-2017, 04:52 PM.

It was me and i still have problems with the G skill ramm

Comment

It is not solely the modules causing this issue, nor are we releasing new versions of Trident Z RGB lighting control software to resolve SPD issues. There are many other factors involved, and it varies case to case due to other hardware such as motherboard and BIOS. Problems vary with specific combinations so there is no simple pin point or fix that will solve everything. We are making adjustments and testing based on specific combinations, so we take a look at all the combinations with reported issues then retest with updates to see if the issue is resolved. We read all the feedback users provide so we can be aware of any issues with specific hardware combos.

Psycrow--

What problems are you having? Please provide hardware info, software info, and such so we can attempt to replicate the issue. Email details to techsupport@gskill.com

Comment

I have this problem..atm i have 32 gb ram but only 16 gb are working now..with zpu z i can see the 3 ram slots but not the 4th

My orginal problem was that i wanted to test the lights with asus aura with my maximus ix formula mobo
        and then i noticed the sequancein comet mode was messed up..like it frozen few seconds and was blinking in ramdom locations on the 4 ram modules..no comet show at all.

Then i scanned the ram with a tool and found crc error on all the rams.
        I uninstalled asus aura and deleted the folders and then i installed ur software and it also failed, so i uninstalled it and removed the folders.

Then i rebooted and things started to get wierd...after alot of trying and fixing..now im stuck with 16 gb ram that seems to work and when i install the 2 other ram then i can still read and scan em with my tool, but windows shows 16 gb ram and cpu z shows only ram in slot 1.2.3 and nothing in 4 th.

I tryed to take the ram out and switch em around..but my motherboard shows no ram installed or other fail codes that rely to error in ram..im about to send em back wher ethey came from and try another pair..thing is i haft to pay for a new set of ram and hopefully get my money back for the old ones...

This is bumming me out..but it seems the crc hex codes are messed up somehow related to these RGB softwares..i heard other had same problem and had to RMA the ram..even 3 times just to get some ram that worked flawless.

Can you provide me with the rams orginal module so i can compare the hex system
        It worked when i bought the ram for a short period, but eventualy when these RGB softwares crashed then things became ugly

My ram are G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series - DDR4 - 32 GB: 4 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3200 MHz / PC4-
        25600 - CL14 - 1.35 V (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR)
        Modelnr.: F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR

Comment

Please email details as mentioned in the previous post and we can help with this.

Comment

you can send the dump/module file to my mail on psycrow@ofir.dk

Comment

I will send you rest details on email...give me 10 mins

Comment

send and send

Comment

So, I also have had 3 sets of problematic RAM after RMAing two times. The set I have now works at the 3200mhz speed, but the LEDs are now "dead" on both sticks after I turned them off with the G.skill software (set them to not show lights) and now the software won't detect them.

I also get a CRC error on one of them. (see attached)

I'm really growing tired of having to pay for shipping (and packaging) to send them back and forth to g.skill. I'm tempted but wary of paying for Thaiphoon to try and fix it myself, because I was hoping G.Skill will update their software to work better, not break the ram sticks and hopefully be able to fix my ram sticks because they work except for the lights.

My first sticks worked for about a week, my 2nd set for less than 24 hours, and the 3rd set works, but not with the expensive as hell RGB lighting I paid for.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I feel your pain...I bought 4 sticks 32 GB and for some wierd reason now only the 3 sticks works..i cant boot up with the 4th..ha di only seached the forums about how broken these ram are..i had several G skill ram with no RGB an dthey worked perfect..maybe G skill should step away from RGB and admit its not a thing for them to spend time and money on..i just hope i can RMA all my ram somewhere and get some new ones..and then i will just go with th ebuild in rainbow cuz the software is to dangerous..i even had the ram write protected in the first case but they got ruined by crc error and the lights dident work right..and we paid extra for that, so a huge fart in the air !!!

Im kinda mad and angry and bummed out !

Comment

I tryed to reset bios again and remove all the ram again and reinstall and uninstall all the software related..and now all 32 GB worls again with the build in rainbow scheme.

But my ram still have crc error in the light sector
                      And i have been reading alot about this, so i understand the issue here but not why it messes up even in write protected state !

SPD Revision: 1.1
                      SPD Bytes Total: 512
                      SPD Bytes Used: 384
                      SPD Checksum (Bytes 00h-7Dh): 242Dh (Error)
                      SPD Checksum (Bytes 80h-FDh): A01Ch (Error)

Comment

Did you get my mail and are you working on somthing G skill ? ?
                        Since i heard nothing

Comment

Working...
                        X