No announcement yet.

Aura / G.Skill software corrupts SPD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so you are saying this can happen when using AI Suite together with Asus Aura?
    (good thing i overclocked manually)

I just checked my SPD tab in CPU-Z and it looks fine from what i can tell, i noticed that i don't have a Serial Number for either of my 2 sticks, i think that is OK?
    Last edited by Z3R0B4NG; 05-15-2017, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I've just found a simple guide on how to restore/recover corrupted SPD for G.SKILL RGB memory modules - https://www.whiskey-foxtrot.com/2017...gb-restore-it/

Comment

I was having errors with my pc booting up too.. till i checked CPU-Z.
        it was the speed chnging up on a module.. notice it was very weird speed, and that the voltage on that stick was 1.55v

Thought that was unusually high for memory...
        the next day, my pc would not start..

went through the basics and found a memory slot was toast.
        I really didnt think it was the memory at that time.. thought it was just the board. (MSI X170a G7)
        RMA'd the board and bought a new board. (Giabyte z170x G7)

Now my new board is getting these same issues.. pulled the memory, and put some back ups in before this memory slot burns out.

Have not contacted G.Skill about this.. i have started a return with Newegg on the memory though.

Hope no one else has the problems i do.

Comment

ASUS AURA & AI Suite

Originally posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
          so you are saying this can happen when using AI Suite together with Asus Aura?
          (good think i overclocked manually)

I just checked my SPD tab in CPU-Z and it looks fine from what i can tell, i noticed that i don't have a Serial Number for either of my 2 sticks, i think that is OK?
          Yes but its not using them together - its using EITHER ONE of them (or both). Any program that accesses the SMB Buss and does not use the proper interlock Mutexes introduces the chance of having an SMB Bus access collision, possibly resulting in corruption of the DRAM SPD data. ASUS AURA and AI Suite both do not access the SMB Bus with the proper interlocks so running either one of them with G.Skill LED RAM is risky.

You can download the free version of Thaiphoon Burner and get a dump of the SBD info. To write to the DIMMs I think you need the paid version. That and you better know what you are doing or you could do more harm than good. IIRC, CPUz does not display DIMM serial numbers. I am not sure G.Skill programs unique serial numbers into their DIMMs. A Thaiphoon dump would tell you for sure. It's much more comprehensive than what CPUz displays.

Comment

Originally posted by facehook View Post
            I've just found a simple guide on how to restore/recover corrupted SPD for G.SKILL RGB memory modules - https://www.whiskey-foxtrot.com/2017...gb-restore-it/
            That guide looks correct to me but I personally have never used the utility to write to my DIMMs. In my case, my DIMMs (F4-3333C16Q-32GTZB ) only have 1 XMP Profile loaded and it's a profile that is never going to boot with my I7-5820k CPU. I learned after I bought the kit that the QVL was limited to Broadwell-E. It did not state this at the time I bought it and the kit is on the QVL for my ASUS X99-Deluxe II MOBO. I have learned a bit since then and now know that the chances of running at 3333MHz with a Haswell-E CPU is unlikely due to IMC limitations of Haswell-E. So I toyed with the idea of manually overclocking the RAM to 3000MHz or maybe 3200 MHz and then burning the settings into an XMP Profile on the DIMMs. I think this would work but I am afraid of bricking the DIMMs. Probably void the warranty too if I had to return the DIMMs for any reason and G.Skill saw an XMP Profile that they did not program!!

But my DIMMs are not LED and aside from having an unbootable XMP Profile (for my system) they are working fine, so I have a lot to lose. If my SPD data got corrupted, I would risk trying to write new SPD data but I would be VERY VERY careful.

Comment

That link is broken...
              Asus STRIX Z270F
              i7700k
              16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB

Comment

Just to follow up from my previous post, the RMA addressed every gremlin I had in the system. I only had crashes running one game title, and since then I have verified over two hours of gameplay and we are looking silky smooth!! I think it would be in G.Skill's best interest to create a restoration software for effected TridentZ RGB customers, operating much like how Thaiphoon Burner operates to restore SPD profiles. This could be on a as-needed basis, or hell I would have found it searching Google (same way I found this forum)

Once the official OK has been issued, I may resume use of Aura software.......It was really a bummer, the software worked great for synchronizing RGB profiles (motherboard, GPU, DRAM)

I can only imagine how much money is being wasted in refurbishing DRAM SPD profiles, shipping costs, restocking fees, etc.... All this can be avoided with a simple sticker on the packaging advising users to wait until finalized software has been developed.

Comment

Originally posted by naujoks View Post
                  That link is broken...
                  It's up now; you must've clicked on the link while I was making some site updates in the early AM.

Comment

For G.SKILL folks I would recommend to have a look at Thaiphoon Burner's repository where you guys can find much interesting, I mean corrupted SPDs from your Trident Z RGB modules. Here is the hyperlink http://rgho.st/users/Jungle5/files You should open your eyes to the problem!

Comment

The author also noticed a difference in the F4-3200C14-8GTZR SPD compared to other SPD's in the same line (for instance F4-3600C16*) where the RGB indicator bytes were missing. I made the change manually, but that fixed another issue I had with this specific quad set of RAM. It may or may not be merged in the Thaiphoon Burner DB at some point.

I added a link on that rgho.st site facehook mentioned above: http://rgho.st/6kxxPYhBL (this will only last for 90 days)

MD5 8856c3380c9e7621c32c4d62a962b3c1
                      SHA1 9d280485a48f5c15244ef7474f271ef548d28a27
                      Last edited by Whiskey-Foxtrot; 05-15-2017, 11:01 AM. Reason: Added DL for my changed F4-3200C14-8GTZR file

Comment

Hey Foxtrot, Would it possible for you describe how you editing/fixed the RGB indicator bytes for other sets of ram that aren't your 3200c14 ones? Cause i've got the c16 ones, and well. They work at 3200mhz, but the RGBs are "dead." I first had one stick go dark, then I disabled the lighting on the other and now the g.skill software doesn't recognized any RGB kits in the system.

I've already RMA'd them twice and it seems like any RGB software on the computer will kill them. It's not free to RMA them, so I'm definitely tired of doing it, but the typhoon software costs about as much as an RMA.

Comment

I just got done with a RMA because one of my sticks was only reporting half the amount of ram. Just got the new sticks but the timings were weird and inconsistent across sticks and changing on boot. Saw this post and checked with thaiphoon burner and have I do have CRC: Error so the SPD is corrupted. So do I have to RMA for this as well or will there be a fix?
                          Last edited by Spire Noir; 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masonjam View Post
                            Hey Foxtrot, Would it possible for you describe how you editing/fixed the RGB indicator bytes for other sets of ram that aren't your 3200c14 ones? Cause i've got the c16 ones, and well. They work at 3200mhz, but the RGBs are "dead." I first had one stick go dark, then I disabled the lighting on the other and now the g.skill software doesn't recognized any RGB kits in the system.

I've already RMA'd them twice and it seems like any RGB software on the computer will kill them. It's not free to RMA them, so I'm definitely tired of doing it, but the typhoon software costs about as much as an RMA.
                            From what I can tell, the RGB info is correct in all "Trident Z RGB" database listings in Thaiphoon Burner except for the 3200C14-8GTZR listing. You should be fine using the other ones that match your RAM.

In your case it sounds like the LED controller app is (re)writing it erroneously so you might want to start off with a clean slate ie COMPLETELY uninstall any LED controller software (g.skill beta and/or Asus) - at least that would be my recommendation before opting to edit SPD info as you may be voiding your warranty doing so any way.

I apologize for not explaining the process as I do not want to step on G.Skill toes or by doing you a disservice by providing information which could in this case most likely be solved by removing the root cause (LED controller software or anything that might be causing issues writing to SPD or over SMBus) - by me providing instructions on how to check the RBG bytes may only unnecessarily complicate matters.

With that said, I own ALL Trident Z RGB memory sticks and models for the various systems I own (both X99/Zx70 Intel and newer Ryzen platforms) and I've never had to RMA once. Most of the issues can be fixed by either waiting for a stable solution or proper installs of LED controller software.
                            Last edited by Whiskey-Foxtrot; 05-15-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

masonjam,

What motherboard and CPU do you have? Also, what BIOS version?

Would like to look into your particular issue.

Thank you

Comment

For Asus board users in particular Crosshair VI Hero - new beta BIOS' seem to address 4 x 16/8GB - I don't notice a difference on mine, but then again haven't had any issues with either RGB, or running 4 x 16/8 @ 3200MHz. Information is posted on OCN and Asus forums.

"Originally Posted by elmor View Post @Kanukio should wait for 24 hours from this post until he/she/it can click the links in this post. http://www.mediafire.com/file/7jch56...-ASUS-9943.zip If Hynix AFR 4x16GB or Samsung B 4x8GB, you might have more luck with this http://www.mediafire.com/file/2stmu39om14oa6b/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-9945.zip"

In other words, please be patient with G.Skill just for a bit longer - it's more often than not also mobo manufacturers, especially on AM4.

Comment

Working...
                                X