First rebuild in awhile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First rebuild in awhile

So, I decided to go big with my tax returns this year and do a full rebuild, $1900 later and I'm STILL not done, admittedly, most of what I have left to do is vanity work, replacing the blue 120mm fans up top with orange 140mm fans, adding LED strips, third hard drive cage with 2 fans to pull more air over my GPU, high capacity drive for Steam, and a second 290 that I'll be picking up with my Christmas bonus this year.

But, uh, here's the stats on this monster

Case: Xigmatek Elysium Super Tower
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 octo-core @4.2GHz (going to try and get more out of it)
    Heatsink: Phanteks PH-TC14_OR
    Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
    RAM: G-Skill Trident-X 16gb (4x4gb) @2354MHz 11-13-13-35 (might try and tighten those timings up a bit)
    GPU: MSI Gaming Series Radeon R9 290 4gb (plan on getting a second around Christmas)
    PSU: Antec HCP-1000 Platinum 1000w fully modular
    Storage: SanDisk Extreme II 240gb SSD, 2x Western Digital Caviar SE drives (160gb and 500gb) 1x Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5tb (plan on getting a 3tb WD Caviar Black as my Steam Drive)
    Monitor: 47" Samsung LED Smart TV 1920x1080 @ 60hz (Personally, I'd rather have a pair of big CRT's, but this thing was free, so I'll take it, I hate flat panel displays though)

I was actually debating between getting a 16gb kit of AMD Radeon gaming ram and the G-Skill kit I have now, decided to go with what I knew to be stable and reliable, in the third pic you can see how nicely the Trident-X sticks fit under my monster of a heatsink with the removable heat spreaders pulled off, awesome job there guys, also, your 2400MHz kit was only $15 more than AMD's 1866MHz kit, I figured if I was going all out I might as well have the fastest ram my board can support.

If these sticks OC as well as my first pair of G-Skill ram, a 2gb DDR-400 kit I had running at 550~MHz, I'm pretty sure you have a lifetime customer (that particular ram kit is still going strong, almost 5 years later, in my old K8 Athlon X2 SLI box that is now owned by a younger relative)
    Attached Files

Are these F3-2400C10Q-16GTX?

Then you should get away with DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28 even on AM3. Also the CVF-Z is maybe the best board for four modules at high speed. Have you tried just enabling the kits XMP via D.O.C.P.?
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Indeed they are, I'll give it a try at lunch (leaving for work in about 15 minutes here)

Fiddling around in the new UEFI bios is a bit strange to me still (been mostly building old school K8 and K7 boxes until about 3 years ago when my first major rebuild happened)

Comment

Working...
      X