This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note to AMD AM2+ users...

Please be aware that at this point in time 1066MHz support is not guaranteed on every motherboard and CPU. Unfortunately, some boards have a better BIOS than others and as such will offer superior support for a 1066 mode. A few steps to get the best results when attempting 1066 mode.

1. Ensure your motherboard has full Phenom II/1066MHz support from the manufacturer and that you are running the latest BIOS.

2. Do not try to achieve 1066MHz via overclocking the bus or the memory via the 800MHz divider, you will NOT be able to achieve the speeds in this way as the internal memory controller (IMC) timings will still be too tight. Hence, you must first enabled 1066MHz mode specifically to relax these timings.

3. Ensure the memory timings are set loosely enough to accept these speeds. My recommendation would be: CAS 5, TRCD 6, TRP 6, TRAS 24, TRC 30 and a TRFC of 195us or 52-55 (depending on how your motherboard lists it).

4. Max voltage you should ever need for this mode is 2.0v. If you are still noticing instability, 99% of the time it will not be solved by increasing vdimm further past this point. Most of the time 1.9v should suffice for stability with most 2x2GB modules at these speeds and timings.

5. 4GB and 8GB are entirely different animals on this platform and should be treated as such. 8GB will add extra heat to your CPU via the IMC and will also put extra stress on the board. The two primary variables to keep in mind when going from 4GB to 8GB on an AM2+ system are heat and voltage. The former will increase as a side effect of the extra memory and will need to be dealt with in the form of active cooling over the memory and/or better cooling of the CPU. The latter will most likely need to be increased to maintain stability. When going to 8GB, test first, and if it is found to be unstable where previously 4GB was stable, look to gently increase CPU-NB as well as motherboard NB voltages. Increase by .025v increments on CPU-NB first. Do not increase more than .075v at stock CPU-NB speeds as it is unnecessary. If you are still seeing instabilities, look to increase the motherboard NB voltage by the same amount.

6. Always test BEFORE trying to boot into Windows. This will save you a lot of headaches, assist you in the troubleshooting of the issue, and most importantly...it will save your Windows installation! Run Memtest86 for at least 10 loops of test 5 to test initial stability and at least 60 passes to test more thoroughly.

As always, your mileage may vary, but in following these steps you should be able to increase your chances of being able to run 1066 mode.
    Last edited by EnJoY; 05-02-2009, 08:21 PM.

thanks for your sharing

G.S

Comment

I have read that you should not run your memory at a 1066 divider on an AM2, as this divider is meant for AM2+ CPU's. On older Bios revisions of my board M2N32-SLI, it is possible to choose this divider with an AM2 CPU installed. Later bios revisions take that option away when an AM2 CPU is installed. My question is, will running the divider on 1066 with an AM2 CPU damage the IMC on my CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by NRD View Post
        I have read that you should not run your memory at a 1066 divider on an AM2, as this divider is meant for AM2+ CPU's. On older Bios revisions of my board M2N32-SLI, it is possible to choose this divider with an AM2 CPU installed. Later bios revisions take that option away when an AM2 CPU is installed. My question is, will running the divider on 1066 with an AM2 CPU damage the IMC on my CPU?
        Most certainly not, it may just be unstable.

Comment

Might want to keep an on your temps if you do, running at 1066 will generate more heat throughout the system components - including the CPU and therefore the IMC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I just picked up a 4 gig kit of 1066 and a 2 gig kit and it isnt stable. No matter the timing or volts settings or combinations I use. It will not work together, I took out the 2 gig kit and left in the 4 gig kit, its in windows but doesnt appear to be stable at all. IE will not properly function, 64 bit works as it should, and prgs are throwing errors. I dont think I need to do memtest here. Its pretty evident. ( windows 7 64-bit btw)

M3A32-MVP Deluxe, latest bios. suggestions?
            Antec 900v2 | PhenomII 940BE | M3A32-MVP | V8 cooling | 4870's X-fire | 4G G Skill | 1x74G Raptor 2xHDD | 850w Modular | Win7 Ultimate | AuzenTech X-Plosion | Z5500 w/Klipsch Promedia | A+ Net+

Comment

and if needed : F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ kit.
              Antec 900v2 | PhenomII 940BE | M3A32-MVP | V8 cooling | 4870's X-fire | 4G G Skill | 1x74G Raptor 2xHDD | 850w Modular | Win7 Ultimate | AuzenTech X-Plosion | Z5500 w/Klipsch Promedia | A+ Net+

Comment

also its an AMD PHII 940BE

Comment

help!ddr2 1066 g.skill

Originally posted by EnJoY View Post
                  Please be aware that at this point in time 1066MHz support is not guaranteed on every motherboard and CPU. Unfortunately, some boards have a better BIOS than others and as such will offer superior support for a 1066 mode. A few steps to get the best results when attempting 1066 mode.

1. Ensure your motherboard has full Phenom II/1066MHz support from the manufacturer and that you are running the latest BIOS.

2. Do not try to achieve 1066MHz via overclocking the bus or the memory via the 800MHz divider, you will NOT be able to achieve the speeds in this way as the internal memory controller (IMC) timings will still be too tight. Hence, you must first enabled 1066MHz mode specifically to relax these timings.

3. Ensure the memory timings are set loosely enough to accept these speeds. My recommendation would be: CAS 5, TRCD 6, TRP 6, TRAS 24, TRC 30 and a TRFC of 195us or 52-55 (depending on how your motherboard lists it).

4. Max voltage you should ever need for this mode is 2.0v. If you are still noticing instability, 99% of the time it will not be solved by increasing vdimm further past this point. Most of the time 1.9v should suffice for stability with most 2x2GB modules at these speeds and timings.

5. 4GB and 8GB are entirely different animals on this platform and should be treated as such. 8GB will add extra heat to your CPU via the IMC and will also put extra stress on the board. The two primary variables to keep in mind when going from 4GB to 8GB on an AM2+ system are heat and voltage. The former will increase as a side effect of the extra memory and will need to be dealt with in the form of active cooling over the memory and/or better cooling of the CPU. The latter will most likely need to be increased to maintain stability. When going to 8GB, test first, and if it is found to be unstable where previously 4GB was stable, look to gently increase CPU-NB as well as motherboard NB voltages. Increase by .025v increments on CPU-NB first. Do not increase more than .075v at stock CPU-NB speeds as it is unnecessary. If you are still seeing instabilities, look to increase the motherboard NB voltage by the same amount.

6. Always test BEFORE trying to boot into Windows. This will save you a lot of headaches, assist you in the troubleshooting of the issue, and most importantly...it will save your Windows installation! Run Memtest86 for at least 10 loops of test 5 to test initial stability and at least 60 passes to test more thoroughly.

As always, your mileage may vary, but in following these steps you should be able to increase your chances of being able to run 1066 mode.
                  help!i have 1 ram g.skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ ddr2 2gb 1066mhz but worked at 800mhz,i have phenom x4(sokect am2+) 9650 and motherboard asrock n68-s supported bus 1066,helpme,and tried to change latencyas but fail!helpme please!im from el salvador no speak english tanks

Comment

Raise CPU-NB Voltage or HT Voltage to stabilize the CPU for DDR2-1066.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      Raise CPU-NB Voltage or HT Voltage to stabilize the CPU for DDR2-1066.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH
                      I changed the multiplier but I did not overlock the processor, so I stay http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/826/77581771.png ..but I want this in 3:8 fsb and voltage and no increase

Comment

It is very stressful for the AMD CPU, that's why you need to raise voltages.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                          It is very stressful for the AMD CPU, that's why you need to raise voltages.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          if and increased the voltage 0.25V at the processor and ram to 2.10v....but always error

Comment

Not CPU VCore, you need to raise CPU-NB Voltage or HT Voltage.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                            X