Overclocking Trident X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Trident X

So I have 32gb of Trident X 2133mhz ram, F3-2133C9-8GTX. Its operating at its stock speed of 2133mhz, 9-11-11-31-260-2T. The rest of my system is 4930K@4.5ghz, Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, EVGA Titan X SLI, Corsair H100i to cool the cpu, Coolermaster Haf-X case. I am a fairly novice overclocker so I am wondering if I set the ram to 2400mhz but keep the same timings is it likely to be stable at that? My CPU is overclocked through the multiplier of 45 and bus speed of 100. Hopefully that is enough information.

You would probably have to relax timings a bit for the clock increase, that is how most ICs scale. Try DDR3-2400 with 10-12-12-31 1.65V first keeping the secondary timings from the XMP and if that is stable you can try to tighten the timings up bit by bit afterwards (or lower the voltage). If that is not stable you might need to adjust the secondaries as well and/or have to manually adjust system voltages. The ROG forums should have a guide on that for the Rampage.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Is 2400 with slightly higher timings perform slightly better then 2133 with tighter timings?

Comment

For any current Intel architecture in terms of performance a higher clock rate is preferable over tighter timings, at least up to a certain point. The sweet spot for performance per price is around DDR3-2400/2600.

You can compare that yourself, with your own setup if you get DDR3-2400 up and running.

Comment

I forgot to respond back on this. I got DDR3 2400 up and running. Changed the timings from 9-10-10-31 2T to 10-11-11-31 2T for 2400. No issues so far. Would the next step be 2666 at 11-12-12-31 2T?

Comment

Its probably not gonna happening with 8gb modules, but you can just try it anyways.

Don't forget to save your final settings for DDR3-2400 beforehand.

Comment

Working...
            X