KM780 RGB media keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KM780 RGB media keys

Windows Media Player seems to be the only program that the keyboard's media keys work for.
    Have tried using WinAMP, VLC, and Quicktime. Windows Media Player is the only one that responds to the media keys.
    Even WMP control does not function 50% of the time when a game is running in the foreground.
    MSI Z97 KRAIT | i7-4790K 4.6GHz \ Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme | G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400 2x4GB | PCS+ 8GB R9 290X | SSDs: 720GB | HDs: 11TB | beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w | Anidees AI Crystal | Logitech G600 \ Corsair M95 | G.Skill KM780 RGB (Red) | Corsair Gaming VOID 7.1 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Lenovo IdeaPad G780

It works for me in Clementine, both in Windows 10 and Linux. No configuration required.

Comment

It works with MPC-HC, more of a movie player but it also works for music.

Comment

The media keys on the keyboard uses Windows media commands, and some media software (such as VLC) is not set to globally recognize these media commands by default.

In the case of VLC, you'd have to set up global hotkeys in the settings section in order for the media keys to work. For other media players, you can also set up global hotkeys if it is not on by default. (We also can confirm that AIMP also works with the media keys in Windows 7.)

1. Open VLC, and navigate to “Tool > Preferences”.

2. Go to “Hotkeys” tab.

3. Find “Play/Pause” and double click the spot under the “Global” column. (By default, double click the column to the RIGHT of “Space” for “Play/Pause”) A window should pop up (don’t click “Unset”). Press the “Play/Pause” media key on the keyboard and the popup should disappear and “Media Play Pause” should appear under “Global” for “Play/Pause”.

4. Find “Next”, “Previous”, and “Stop”; and do the same thing for the corresponding media keys.

5. Click “Save” to save your preferences.

6. Close and restart VLC player. (This is important, or the global hotkeys will not take effect.)

Regarding to media keys not working sometimes with WMP, can you let us know which games you've tried that does not work with a game in the foreground? Also, is there a specific part of the game (e.g. main menu, setting menu, during gameplay, during cutscene, etc.) that prevents the media keys from working? It's likely that because some games do offer key remapping, it may be blocking the media key signals. However, we'll need to investigate this on a game-by-game or case-by-case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
          Regarding to media keys not working sometimes with WMP, can you let us know which games you've tried that does not work with a game in the foreground? Also, is there a specific part of the game (e.g. main menu, setting menu, during gameplay, during cutscene, etc.) that prevents the media keys from working? It's likely that because some games do offer key remapping, it may be blocking the media key signals. However, we'll need to investigate this on a game-by-game or case-by-case basis.
          01) games so far:
          Need For Speed: Rivals, Dark Souls 3, Metro 2033 Redux. media keys not working at all while game is in foreground.

02) in regards to media keys not functioning in certain media players; installing a "hotkey" plugin for WinAMP now allows the media keys to control functions with no rebinding necessary.
          Last edited by GObonzo; 06-18-2016, 06:58 PM.
          MSI Z97 KRAIT | i7-4790K 4.6GHz \ Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme | G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400 2x4GB | PCS+ 8GB R9 290X | SSDs: 720GB | HDs: 11TB | beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w | Anidees AI Crystal | Logitech G600 \ Corsair M95 | G.Skill KM780 RGB (Red) | Corsair Gaming VOID 7.1 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Lenovo IdeaPad G780

Comment

hello? any response about situation with media keys not working while games are in the foreground?
            is there a way to bypass game's control of the media keys so WMP can still control volume, track, etc while gaming?

Comment

I know this is sorta old. I just recently got this Keyboard KM780 RGB and have been trying to setup the media keys with VLC. Not sure if its the keyboard or VLC not letting me. I right click in the global settings and when I press the play/pause button I notice the M1 button lights up red but the little box that pops up on screen saying to unbind/cancel doesn't go away nor when I restart VLC is the binding there under global settings. I have latest firmware on keyboard. Anything else I'm doing wrong? I doubled check to make sure VLC is set as default player and I have uninstalled all other players as I don't use them anymore anyways.

Dunno If I can throw this one in here with it since it is part of the media keys.
              On another note the volume scroll wheel doesn't work either. I noticed 1st day a little green slider appeared on screen but since not anymore. The scroll wheel doesn't adjust volume. If I use my volume icon in the tray to turn it down the lights on the keyboard follow with it but not other way around.

Comment

Mind letting us know which Windows version you're using? And which VLC version it is? It'd be also great if we can confirm the software and firmware version of the KM780 RGB keyboard as well.

Comment

I'm on Windows 8 Pro x64
                  VLC version 2.2.4
                  Keyboard Firmware 60 / Software 0.107

Comment

Are you using a portable version? Or an actual installed version? We used v2.2.4, but had different results for portable vs installed version. The installed version could register the media playback keys, but the portable version couldn't. Not sure what kind of settings in the VLC player package would cause this.

In any case, if the media playback keys can't be registered in the settings, there's a manual (more hands-on) method of adding global hotkey directly into the configuration file. Look for a "vlcrc" file. If it's an installed version, it should be located under "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\vlc\vlcrc ". If it's a portable version, try "/Data/settings/vlcrc".

Make a backup of the "vlcrc" file, just in case. Open the file up in notepad, and then look for the following settings. You wouldn't need to change the first line of each pair, but the second line needs to be edited. There are two things that need to be edited: 1) delete the "#" symbol in front, and 2) add in the value behind the equal sign. This should 1) enable the global hotkey, and 2) set the hotkey to a keyboard key. Make sure to save and quit. Then reload VLC player, and the global hotkeys should be there.

# Play/Pause (string)
                    global-key-play-pause=Media Play Pause

# Next (string)
                    global-key-next=Media Next Track

# Previous (string)
                    global-key-prev=Media Prev Track

# Stop (string)
                    global-key-stop=Media Stop

# Mute (string)
                    global-key-vol-mute=Volume Mute

Regarding the volume issue, are you saying that the volume scroll wheel has no effect at all? Even when VLC isn't open, and only (for example) Youtube video is running? And can you provide a screenshot of the "green slider"? We're not sure which one you're referring to.

Just as a note, the volume scroll wheel should adjust the operating system volume, but may have no effect on media player volume, if the media player has its own volume control and doesn't follow the system volume. Might want to look into your sound card driver settings to see if there's anything turned off if the volume scroll wheel isn't adjusting the system volume.

Comment

Correct. I am using the installed version of VLC, not the portable. I followed the instructions exactly and went and looked in VLC and the settings are now under Global. Pressing the media keys on Keyboard still has no effect though.

With the Volume wheel. I only seen it pop up once. It was a small green slider in top left corner of screen. But since I have not seen it again. It has no effect with any volume on my computer. It does not effect system audio nor VLC. I have latest Realtek audio drivers 6.0.1.8004 on computer and using a Asus Xonar DX audio card for my surround sound. The Realtek audio I just use for my headset.

Edit] I got it working now. Apparently in View local services>Human Interface Device Access wasn't running. Was set to manual start. With that now changed to start automatically and is now running. The media keys now work and the volume wheel. The little green slider is back now. It must be a on screen volume display built into my screen LG 29UM57-P. Thank you for helping set the key bindings in VLC. with the service now running Those keys still wouldn't work if I could not set them.
                      Last edited by popswala; 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

popswala,

Glad to hear you got it working, and thanks for updating us on the service info! We're sure it'll help other users with the same issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X