Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DDR4 RAM boots up as DDR4-2133 - Why is my RAM recognized as DDR4-2133?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR4 RAM boots up as DDR4-2133 - Why is my RAM recognized as DDR4-2133?

Read here to understand memory profiles :

Why does "Max Bandwidth" only show DDR4-2133 (1066MHz)?

As mentioned in the previous thread, the DDR4 standard is DDR4-2133 CL15 1.20V.

This JEDEC standardization allows RAM to be compatible in more types of systems. In other words, DDR4-2400 RAM can work in most DDR4-2133 computers, but only at DDR4-2133. RAM frequency will only operate at the maximum value supported by the CPU and motherboard.

If you have a CPU and motherboard that can potentially support a higher frequency, then a higher frequency memory kit may be capable. The Intel XMP embedded within the memory modules are designed to unleash the performance values of the RAM if the motherboard/BIOS/EFI can support it, and if a capable CPU is used.
    CPU capability list - Maximum DRAM Frequency

Each XMP Profile is designed for a specific platform and motherboard, so simply because a motherboard supports XMP, and the RAM has XMP, does not automatically mean the two are fully compatible.

Furthermore, if a motherboard states it can support DDR4-4000, it does not mean any DDR4-4000 RAM can work with that system. Especially for extreme frequencies of DDR4-3000+, it is imperative to use only a certified motherboard from the G.Skill QVL list or the motherboard manufacturer's QVL list. If a motherboard or memory kit is not on the list, you may need to manually input settings, or additionally tweak values to fully stabilize the system to reach the rated specifications of the RAM. In many cases, you may not be able to reach the full specifications of the RAM, hence why it is not on any QVL list. It is possible to get near, but the full specifications should not be expected. It is also possible that a memory kit works flawlessly with XMP and it is not on any QVL list, but that is a chance at your own discretion. Motherboard manufacturers frequently update the BIOS/EFI to support a wider range of RAM, including support for higher frequencies, so it is always best to check for the latest versions when having strange issues or inability to reach the rated specifications of hardware.

To recap, for ideal results:

1. Use a motherboard on the G.Skill QVL list or motherboard manufacturer's QVL
    2. Make sure your CPU is capable of the target DRAM Frequency
    CPU capability list - Maximum DRAM Frequency
    3. Check for the latest BIOS/EFI, verify on motherboard's manufacturer's website
    4. If 1, 2, 3 are clear, enable XMP Profile in BIOS/EFI and you should have no problems at all.

If you do have any problems, test one module at a time to see if each stick can boot and work properly.

With both working fine individually, they should be able to work together. In the event a module works fine and the other does not, send them in for RMA exchange and a new kit should work better.
    G.Skill RMA

If things get confusing and you can't seem to figure it out, simply contact us via email, NewEgg Chat (on each product page), telephone, post a thread here, Facebook, anywhere we are active and we will be glad to help and make sure your computer is operating at maximum performance.

ustech@gskillusa.com
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM.

Thank you. Very informative post. But riddle me this batman...I'm running F4-3200C14D--16GTZRX in an ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII motherboard with a Rysen7 2700x and the memory won't run on the XMP settings. No matter what I try the memory refuses to run at anything faster than 2133. What am I doing wrong here? The Hero VII is on G. Skill's QVL, I've flashed the BIOS with the latest **** from the ASUS website and I get constant boot problems, black screens, blue screens, no screens and even one pink screen (never seen one of those). The machine runs stable set at 2133, but 2133 isn't what I bought the RAM for. Any light you can shed on this will be most appreciated.

Comment

Where are you looking at frequency? Do you have the latest BIOS? Are the modules installed in slots A2 B2? Each module should have no problem with DOCP, or at least any lower value such as 2933/2666

You can also test one module at a time to see if both have similar results. If not, it may be a problem stick.

Comment

Memory is installed in slots A2 and B2 confirmed. BIOS version 1103x64 date 11/16/18. BIOS shows mem running @ 2133. CPU-Z says 1064.9. I'm going to take your advice and try running one stick at a time and see what happens. Yeah, I'm starting to suspect one of the sticks is rotten. Nothing is overclocked, out-of-the-box settings all around. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

OK, tried each stick alone with DOCP set in BIOS @ 3200. Both sticks refused to go that fast. The machine booted up in each case, but crashed the moment a game was launched. So either both sticks are bad or the problem lies elsewhere. I went into BIOS and tried the auto overclock feature. The CPU ramped up to 4.0 and memory to 2197. It runs very stable at this setting, but that's a far cry from the 3200 that the memory is rated for. I'm very puzzled.

Comment

With DOCP enabled, manually set DRAM Frequency to 2933 and see if it is more stable.

If nothing seems to work, reset BIOS, re-apply settings and try again. Just to make sure there are no unintentional changes or glitch.

Comment

I selected DOCP in BIOS then changed the setting from 3200 to 2933, saved and rebooted. The machine booted and I launched CPU-Z to verify the mem was running at 2933. It was. Launched a game. Bioware logo screen came up, sound was distorted and then crash...hard. Had to reset CMOS before it would boot again. I booted to BIOS verified that everything was set to default, selected DOCP, set mem to 2933, rebooted and it crashed again as soon as game was launched. Once I rebooted and reset to default I gamed away the rest of the night without a hitch, a glitch or a problem. I just don't get it. Forget overclocking, This memory dosen't even want to run anywhere near the rated speed. I'm stumped.

Comment

Both modules had the same exact problem? It may not be an issue with RAM if that is the case, however if one module kind of ran at 2933 but the other did not boot up at all, then maybe the modules are defective, but more test results are necessary to narrow down possibilities.

Comment

I'm having the same issue with Ripjaws V 3600, Z390 ftw board and 9700k processor. Works fine at default 2133. If I enable XMP, it wont boot.

Comment

Hi Codo180,

Do you have the latest BIOS? Try one module at a time to see what one module can do. This can also help confirm whether one is not performing as well as the other.

Use the second slot away from CPU for individual, and 2 and 4 if two slots

With XMP enabled, manually lower DRAM Frequency until the system can boot and run smoothly. Let us know the results.

Comment

BIOS is latest. I just gave it another try with XMP and same thing. I noticed the voltage says 1.360 next to the box but it was set to 1.350. So I increased by .010 and it booted, but froze when I tried to open the utility to see what speed the memory was at. I changed the voltage back, and this time I got a stream of green garbled text at the bottom of the screen, like a reverse matrix effect. I set it back to auto for now to get it to boot again. I will have to try one at a time and see how it goes.
                      Last edited by codo180; 05-02-2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Feel free to try a little more Voltage to see if it can stabilize. Sometimes the set Voltage and actual Voltage is not precise, so the RAM may need a little more Voltage to be fully stable.

Comment

Whats a safe increment to try?

Comment

1.40V should be sufficient since you are not overclocking yet

Comment

1.4 voltage still did not fix it. And it is concerning as its difficult to get back into the BIOS to reduce it again, once the BIOS even froze with green dots across the screen. I will try one stick at a time tonight and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X