F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM (2x) + Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H + Intel I7-4790K Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM (2x) + Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H + Intel I7-4790K Problem

Built this rig last Fall with a pair of 4Gb sticks of Ripjaws X 1866 (CL8) ram manufactured in May 2014 according to the holo sticker on the sticks. System has run super fast and error free ever since. Last week I purchased a second set of the same RAM (2x4GB) from Newegg, which according to the holo stickers was manufactured in May 2015. I have since learned that might not have been a smart move.

Anyway, I have run Memtest 86 on both pairs (1 pair at a time) in both channels for 12 hours (4 separate tests) with no errors, so I think both pairs of memory are good and I believe all DIMM slots in the MOBO are good.

Problem is I cannot get the computer to boot with both pairs installed unless I mix 1 old and 1 new stick in each channel. Then the bios (Version F9 btw) freezes within 30 seconds to 2 minutes, so I have to unplug, remove a pair and reset the bios.

Can anyone suggest initial manual BIOS voltage settings and timings that would enable me to get all four sticks to play well on this MOBO? Thanks in advance!

Do the following: Install only the newer kit and manually enter the XMP auto timings (primary and secondary). Then add the second kit and see if it you can POST.

The newer kit might be using higher density ICs and might therefore need more relaxed secondary timings. The older kit should however have no trouble running those.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for the fast response! I'll give it a try shortly and report back. Meanwhile, I just completed a series of MEMTEST86 runs on each stick and all seem good Each stick booted fine and ran XMP2 Profile at 8,9,9,24 CMD2 as per label specs. According to my bios, however, the sub-timings between the old and new ram (running at 1867 MHz, single channel) differ as follows:

Old RAM New RAM Parameter
      5 6 tRRD
      8 8 tWTR
      14 16 tWR
      25 27 tWTP
      7 7 tWL
      243 150 tRFC
      8 8 tRTP
      26 26 tFAW
      2 2 tCMD

Comment

Try

trrd 6
        twtr 8
        twr 16
        twtp 27
        twl 7 (8)
        trfc 243
        trtp 8
        tfaw 26
        cmd 2

Comment

Wow! That was almost too simple!! Posted the first time with the settings you suggested. Still rocking 8,9,9,24 timings with 16Gb running at 1867+. Note to others that may have this issue: When you disable XMP to enter manual timings it will change the look of your BIOS whether you are using classic view or quick tweak. Manual timings "grays out" channel B subtimings, but your manual settings are applied to both channels, nevertheless.

Big THANKS to Emissary42! Your instructions made perfect sense and saved a NeweggRMA. I'll now sign off and crank up MEMTEST86. Will report back tomorrow. Thanks Again!!

Comment

As promised, I have finished a 24-hr. run of MEMTEST86 on 16 Gb total of this amazingly fast and stable Gskill RAM. 23 passes, 0 errors at 1.5 volts with no overclock needed. Thanks again to Emissary42!

Comment

I am glad it worked out for you

Comment

Working...
              X