Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current position on TridentZ RGB AM4 compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current position on TridentZ RGB AM4 compatibility?

Hi there

Just wanted to ask what the latest status is regarding compatibility of the TridentZ RGB DDR4 modules with AM4 platforms.

My specific build will be a Taichi X370 with R5 1600.

The kit I'm looking at is F4-3200C14D-16GTZR - according to all the research I've done, this should be compatible. However both the QVL for the motherboard, as well as the Gskill QVL seem to be outdated.

Other lists also mention the -16GTZ version but not specifically the -16GTZR. AFAIK they have the same Samsung b-die chips, but I would appreciate some confirmation/guidance.

Am I likely to run into problems, and if so, how should I anticipate to manage them?

Thanks for your help/input!

They should run great provided your CPU can reach 3200. Motherboard and RAM is a perfect combination.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      They should run great provided your CPU can reach 3200. Motherboard and RAM is a perfect combination.
      Ok, that's great - thanks!

How about the RGB lighting - I read about a lot of problems with SPDs getting corrupted. What's the best way to approach controlling that?

Comment

Make sure to have the latest BIOS, and firmware/software for the RGB RAM.

Also, do not use multiple RGB lighting software at the same time as it is possible to conflict. Make sure to End Process in Task Manager prior to opening another RGB software.

Comment

Thanks! Will follow those instructions!

Comment

Hi!

I have a similar question. I bought a Ryzen 1600X in April and (stupidly) paired it with a Biostar X370 GT7. After studying the Biostar QVL I decided to buy the F4-3200C14D-GTZR Kit as it was listed as "compatible" with the board and it would support 3200MHz.

That damn kit was very expensive but I wanted to build a perfectly (and fast) running system and so I bought it.

As suspected it turned out that nothing would run perfectly. Only real stable frequency was 2133MHz and so I asked Biostar what I could do. They advised me some settings (for example pushing the SOC and DDR4 voltage up to 1,5V !!! ) and told me they are going to run fine after the next UEFI update. I was a little upset because the listed this particular memory in their QVL but I trusted them and waited a while. After a thousand years (...) they decided to release a new Bios with the AGESA 1.0.0.4 which seemed to fix some issues... at least for ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte ;-). I contacted Biostar again and got the same pre-written suggestions as a few months ago. I needed to wait again for Biostar to release another update. Another thousand years later Biostar released new UEFI with AGESA 1.0.0.6(a). Guess what... nothing changed. Wait... I was now able to use the G.Skill RGB software as it now recognized my Ram sticks. At least a little success. A couple of months later Biostar released an UEFI with the latest AGESA 1.0.0.6(b) which also did not get me my Ram running at rated speeds and until now I give it up and will go for another mainboard.

I recently built an X299 system for a friend and took the chance to test my ram. As expected it ran perfectly fine with the MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon and this platform was able to even run it at 3466MHz CL14 @ 1.35V without any issues. Didn't use MSI for a long time and I was actually very impressed by their Bios and build quality.

Plot: I'm searching a new board for my 1600X and my F4-3200C14D-GTZR kit. I favor the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon and I'd like to know if someone is running this combination.

Regards,
            Alex

Comment

No one

Comment

Well, I'm building a TR4 X399 system myself and on that part of the fence the top choices are ASRock (Taichi/Fatal1ty) and Asus ROG Zenith Extreme in regards to memory speed compat and system statibility.

Now for the X370 platform I cannot help you, I would probably pick Asus if I knew little and unless another mobo maker was proving themselves in their memory QVL's. Their most expensive board can have better trace lanes (check overclock.net / hardocp ) and that can help with stable board and higher clocked memory.

Comment

We have that motherboard rated up to DDR4-2400, so it should be capable of that.

With XMP enabled, lower DRAM Frequency until the system can boot. Let us know the result.

Which memory slots are you using?

MSI X370 Pro Carbon Motherboard is much better.

Comment

Alright I orderd the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon just a few minutes ago. I'll let you know if it works with my F4-3200C14D-GTZR kit.

Regards

Comment

Hi!

Short response... I tried a MSI X370 Carbon now and it was able to get 2933MHz CL16 and (after several POST loops) 3200MHz CL18 on my Ram (F4-3200C14D-GTZR). Fun fact: The Biostar board got a higher cinebench score with 2133MHz ram then the Carbon with 2933MHz Ram

After all I did not keep the MSI Board since it was not that good for CPU overclocking (needs much more voltage for same frequencies) and it is not as good equipped as the GT7. Did not expect that to be honest!

But... I just found out my particular 1600X was one of the first ever produced Ryzen 5 CPUs and that it has the so called SegFault Error (it crashes randomly while compiling code under Linux). AMD told me to send it back and that I'll get a replacement. I wonder if the newer CPU will work better with higher clocked Ram (as some other users mentioned in different forums).

I will let you know as soon as the new CPU arrives.

Regards,
                      Alex

Comment

Working...
                      X