Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable XMP/manually overclock G.SKILL memory with ASUS X79 & SB-E or IB-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If XMP works at that, can set XMP then manually raise freq to 2400 and stabilize with the voltages mentioned if the bIOS doesn't set them that high..just go from what it sets and raise them gradually a little at a time.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks again...

So maybe I don't get it...So on this BIOS there is an overclock controller which can be set to auto, manual, or XMP...When I use XMP it sets at 2400 for prof. 1 and a bit less for prof. 2.

Are you suggesting that I use 'manual' instead and set it to match what the MOBO sees?

LFJ

Comment

I get it now...use XMP there and manually change voltages...sorry.

Comment

No problem, can go either way, got the impression XMP hadn't worked (it's an either/or...I normally set up manually)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So, I set the MOBO to OC Tuner, which is supposed to take care of everything automatically.

I get an increasingly infrequent rate of BsoD and eventually get to use the computer for more than a day without the crash....lots of web serfing and BAM!

I ran Memtest and got over 17000 errors before the first pass was complete..The 1st pass was not done after seven hours..BTW.

Does this mean that the RAM is bad? Errors happened at 57gb or so....

How should one interpret the results of MemTest?

Comment

May be a bad stick, can test each stick individually, or may just want to try adding about 0.04 to the DRAM volatage

Tman

Comment

Thanks again...So here is a noob question.

I know this is not the ASUS forum, but after reading the manual and looking through the bios, I can't find the place at which I can manually set the Ram voltages etc.

Any clues?

Comment

Will try and look later this PM, but normally it will just be DRAM voltage or DRAM, something like that

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I can see where the voltages are listed etc. but I can't find a place where I can do anything to change it.

Comment

In the advanced section - click on the box off to the right and manually enter it:

Tman

Comment

Thanks!

My problem turned out to be that I did not expect to have to scroll past what was available on the screen....

So I memtested that stuff hardcore...turns out some sticks don't get recognized at all while others do..I noticed it on the second set of four...only 16gig showing...I tried several sticks in the same spot, some get noticed others don't...

So my sticks are ganked. Where do I get an RMA?
                        LFJ

Comment

Sounds like NY, so will want to contact rma@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman,

As an update, I contacted G-Skill for an RMA. They were fast and helpful...unlike ASUS...

Then I decided to double-check before sending things off. All sticks were recognized individually. So I did 3 passes with MEMTEST on one stick...After that, I got immediate errors on the next. So I tried the others individually and it would not post at all....So I waited to let the MOBO cool off, suspecting that it was not the RAM after all....Turns out that it worked after sitting a bit and it recognizes all 8 sticks...though with lots of errors...

I am RMAing the ASUS P9X70-Deluxe and will update when I get to test the sticks once again....

Pretty sure it is the MOBO as I have had other wierd things...like it wouldn't recognize the bootable USB with MEMTEST on it...even though it had seconds earlier and did when I switched to a different slot.

Thanks for the help...I hope this is the correct thread for this discussion.

LFJ

Comment

Sounds like you nailed it, let us know after you get the replacement mobo

Tman

Comment

Need some hand holding .....

I am an experienced User, but not "experienced" at overclocking in terms of tweeking CPUs at the higher end of the range. I'm fine with it all, and well into taking it slow and careful blah blah. Where my knowledge is taking a nose dive is getting the higher speeds sorted out, because my knowledge of the Bios settings needed is horrible to abysmal rofl , and I would appreciate some hand holding. My Beast is a ROG 3960x 2133mhz 16Gb machine, currently running @3.9Ghz 2133mhz. I want to get it up into the range circa +/- 4.2Ghz.

I know where I am going wrong, its the detailed settings etc inside the Bios, I currently work off the 3.9Ghz 2133mhz pre-set. Clearly if I just increase the CPU to circa 4.2Ghz, the beast will say "go away", because I have not got the Bios settings for that speed level correctly set.

The machine is used for BOINC crunching, which if you are not aware of BOINC (Google it if curious), the computation for it is virtually all in memory testing a bunch of figures against a set formula to see if there are matches. It runs at around 9.5 million iterations of the formula a second, and is therefore sensitive to Core CPU and memory speeds for its performance level, very very little is completed with disk accesses, and the twin ATI 7970s are not used at all for this. The focus for this application is purely CPU and memory speed.

A shift from (say) 3.9Ghz to (say) 4.2Ghz is directly translated into performance with this application and speed of processing goes up circa 10-15% - in of itself that might sound much, but reflect of the speed that computations are tested (9.5 million formulas a second), that mounts up to a significant improvement for little extra effort (apart from the power bill!).

The beast has a 1500w power supply, so I have no power restrictions. The matched memory used is G.Skill [ RipjawsZ ] F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH (4Gx4), and runs off a Corsair Force GT SCSI solid state drive. The CPU uses a Hydro H80i water cooler and has high pressure case fans in a Lian Li Case, so I have the means to easily keep everything cool. To give an idea, on the CPU cooler medium setting its running @64 degrees with 11 of the 12 cores going full stretch at 100% running these calculations. The twelve core I use for (whatever) whilst this lot crunches away in the background. The Bios has the ROG application, so access to all the relevant settings is easy.

So .... all the building blocks are there .... just need to tune it all up correctly.

Help

Regards
                                Zy

Comment

Working...
                                X