F3-1600C11S-8GNT MSI970a-G46 BIOS Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1600C11S-8GNT MSI970a-G46 BIOS Settings

Trying to stabilize an install with a AMD FX 6300 CPU MSI 970A-g46 mobo and G.Skill F3-1600C11S-8gnt 8g ram. At times my system won't post I have contacted MSI and was told to set DRAM freq to manual 1333 I had all settings on default . I set per MSI tech and still at times will not post, I have to clear cmos and then I may get to get post and run for a day or so and system locks up again. I substitute memory with A-Data 4g and system boots every time. I am not trying to overclock just run stock settings. Once I sub Adata 4g stick back to G.skill I can get system to post again...for a day or so then becomes unstable or won't post if restarted. Ran memtest86+ 4.2 and mem tests good after 20 passes. I suspect I need to change some BIOS settings but not getting much from MSI ...I have to repeat myself . they're not listening. I tried both mem slots on board they recommend slot 4 or 2 in that order no difference. BIOS is latest for this mobo 1.11. Tempted to exchange for ASUS mobo since got this from Newegg and only about 1.5 week old. SYstem I am taking 4g A-Data memory posts every time with G.skill mem stick but mobo is Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 with FX 4170 CPU. Maybe Asus board bios is more compatible?? All voltage and CPU settings are in auto mode.

ANY help appreciated.

Thanks, sepjas

I lean towards Asus or ASRock mobos more, with the current mobo might try increasing the CPU/NB about 0.08 and/or the DRAM up 0.05, might also take a look for additional help here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Settings

Thanks for the reply Tman.
      I had no problem setting the dram voltage to 1.507 closest I could get to .05 increase but the NB setting I have no reference of what the standard should be since it was on auto in the bios and I can't seem to find what the standard setting would be so I could increase by .08 as you suggest. I googled but all I find are responses to oc which I do not want to do at this time. The NB setting standard is unkown to me so I am not sure what the starting point is so as to increase it.

sepjas

Comment

With the CPU/NB might set to 1.2 and see, then go from there, should still have safe leeway to go higher

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Cpu-nb

Ok, set the CPU NB to 1.20xxx and will see how it goes again thanks for the quick response!!
          DRAM V is @ 1.507 I'll give it a day or so but if Newegg will take the return I may go with the ASUS mobo if this keeps up. I wasn't keen with the support from MSI.
          sepjas

Comment

Sounds like a plan, I myself am not real pleased with support from any of the mobo makers, but seems like ASRock, Asus and GB are a few steps above all the others from my experience

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              Sounds like a plan, I myself am not real pleased with support from any of the mobo makers, but seems like ASRock, Asus and GB are a few steps above all the others from my experience
              Funny you should mention the lack of customer support from the Asian mobo makers... I have been stating this for years. The reality is they don't care. As long as the PC hardware enthusiasts websites hype the mobos, there is enough demand that these companies do not feel good customer support at least in the U.S., is necessary.

As far as MSI vs. Asus vs. Gigabyte vs. Asrock, all of whom I have firsthand experience with (and other brands), none of them provide good support, IME of many years, though Asrock was the best by far. As far as product quality goes the only mobos that I have had fail in the past 20+ years were both Asus who actually uses several other companies to manufacture many of their mobos in addition to in-house mobo production, so you never know what you are going to get with Asus. One mobo can be fine and the next one can have issues - as any PC hardware forum will confirm.

*YMMV*
              Last edited by Techmeister; 02-13-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

**Duplicate post deleted**

Comment

Keeps Rebooting

Well was stable for most of the day then last hour system froze in windows . So I powered down and back up and system would get to windows repair and keep rebooting. Removed G.Skill memory and installed A-Data memory 4g and system booted. I have tested the F3-1600C11S 8g single stick with memtest86+ and it passed. I have left the setting of 1333 and Dram v 1.507 and CPU-NB 1.2xxxx if I put the G.skill mem back in I am pretty sure it will boot again and stay stable for a while at least that has been the case. The memory came with the mobo as a package and Newegg wants the mem back if I change mobo...means about another $50 which I wasn't planing on spending. Could it still be voltage settings in Bios or the memory stick even though it's testing ok with memtest86+ or mobo? This is getting frustrating ....I'll try putting the G.skill back in and report back.

Comment

Sepjas

Just kick it up to 1.55 on the DRAM voltage and CPU/NB to 1.25 (both are perfectly safe) and let's see what happens

Tman

Comment

I would like to try that but will not boot with the G.Skill memory now. I put the G.skill in another config I have (my sons) and I get the memory error beeps ..I put the A-data back in and either system boots fine. I have to "assume" the memory stick is bad my only concern is did it go on it's own or did the mobo contribute to it? I'll contact Newegg in the am to see how they want to handle this. I 'll update my progress.

sepjas

Comment

Sounds like a plan, if bought as a set/combo they should replace all and not charge for shipping since one or maore of the set was defective, generally if you point this out they will send a postage paid mailing label

Tman

Comment

Contacted Newegg and they sent RMA for both mobo and memory ...they asked what was wrong wioth mobo and I told them it contributed to memory going bad and was recommened from G.skill to change both mobo and memory. They did send a prepaid UPS label as you mentioned. It will be a while for the turn around so I'll keep my fingers crossed for now the new hardware works.

sepjas

Comment

Glad to hear that part worked out, will be looking for more good news when you get the replacements in

Tman

Comment

New mobo and memory rcvd from Newegg and installed and up for about 10 hours so far with no issues. Hopefully all is resolved.

Sepjas

Comment

Working...
                              X