F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO - AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO - AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz

When poking around the internet, I saw the RAM I use often defaults to 1333Mhz frequency. I boosted it to 1600Mhz in the BIOS, then Windows failed to launch on the first try. Since then it's been stable (while still set at 1600Mhz) but I figured I'd inquire to see if there were other settings I should change.

RAM: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz

If stable now, wouldn't mess with things. If you do encounter problems would look to raise CPU/NB and may DRAM voltages + 0.05 or so to stabilize

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i downloaded cpu-z, and found the memory timings to be as follows:
      CL: 11
      tRCD: 11
      tRP: 11
      tRAS: 29
      tRC: 40
      CR: 1T

i found those timings in the bios listed as:
      DRAM 1st Information : 11-11-11-29-6-40-12-5 (i would assume 12 and 5 correspond to tWR and tRRD, respectively)

also listed is:
      DRAM 2nd Information : 9-10-6-3-2-0-110
      with the options to modify:
      TRWTTD
      TWRRD
      TWTR
      TWRWR
      TRDRD
      TRFC0
      TRFC1
      TREF

i'm continuing to poke around the internet to learn more, and thus far i've come to the conclusion that if possible my timings should be lowered (and the description of my DIMMs suggests that's doable). i've yet to find out what exactly the DRAM 2nd Info means or anything saying i should mess with it.

i appreciate the help. i'm putting off buying new components (because i don't need them) but needed to do something to satisfy my urge to play under the hood. thanks for helping ensure i don't break anything in the process.

Comment

Looks like it's at defaults for the mobo, the sticks should run at 9-9-9-24-2T if your CPU can carry them at 1600. With your 440, you will prob need the extra voltages mentioned above to run 1600 at their stock timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i put the timings down without touching the voltage yet, and things seem stable. if something goes haywire that'll be the first thing to adjust, i suppose.

thanks for the help.

Comment

Sounds good, keep us updated

Tman

Comment

have you tried unlocking thr 4th core or L3 cache on that athlon?
              AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

i most certainly have not unlocked anything, though you've peaked my interest. if you think that discussion would be outside the scope of this thread, i'd thoroughly appreciate a PM on the subject.

on boot-up today windows failed to launch, and when i finally get to the desktop my screen will flicker black briefly before everything smooths up. granted, i did just update my ati drivers so that may be the root cause there. in any case, i've boosted the voltages in the hopes that doesn't happen again. is there a ceiling on how high it's (wise) to go?

Comment

You can generally go very high, but I'd get a temp monitoring program to sort of keep an eye on things (CoreTemp is a good free one) - and feel free to get into the unlocking of the CPU - there's a few threads that have touched on it

Tman

Comment

A new thread in the overclocking section will be better. There are many tweakable settings on the Athlon x3's. I could write a novel
                    AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Yep, that would be fine also

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X