F3-1866c10q-32gxl + ga-990fxa-ud3 + fx-8350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1866c10q-32gxl + ga-990fxa-ud3 + fx-8350

I just received some 4x8GB of g.skill DDR3 1866 , model F3-1866C10Q-32GXL .

I installed them in my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 1.1 with latest F9 BIOS.

By default, the auto settings POST at 1333 speed.

I am not able to POST this RAM at 1866 . The motherboard always complains about overclocking error. All the other BIOS settings except the RAM are stock. CPU is FX-8350 .

The specs for the RAM say it is 10-11-10-30 and 1.5V .

Things I have tried :

1) setting DRAM EOCP to DDR3-1866 .
    That didn't work . It tries to set a higher RAM voltage and wrong timings.

2) EOCP disabled
    set memory clock manual
    memory clock x9.33 (1866 MHz)

Under DRAM configuration :
    CAS # latency : 10T
    RAS to CAS R/W delay : 11T
    Row precharge time : 10T
    Minimum RAS active time : 30T

And leaving voltages as auto which should be 1.5V for the RAM.

But the mobo still won't post and complains about OC error.

Any idea ?

The CPU itself, though while widely claimed to run 1866 as 'native' is actually a native 1333 CPU and is RATED to run 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL (or 2 DIMMs total). Some 8350s even have trouble running the 2 DIMMs, though there are also a very few that I have seen that can run 4 DIMMs of 1866. Think I've only seen a couple get 32GB of 1866 running and they had to raise DRAM voltage + 0.10 and raise CPU/NB voltage about + 0.20 or even more. To try I'd suggest raising the CPU OC (and vCore accordingly from where you are at), stick with stock timings initially and raise the voltages mentioned above by the indicated amount. If still no joy, try with the same settings at 1600.

Here's a chart from AMD that provides the more realistic configs for their CPUs, they keep this sort of buried:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the response. I was trying to run everything at stock, no CPU OC, just to run the RAM at 1866. But guess that is not possible.

I tried EOCP profile 1 and that achieved DDR3-1776, but it did so by raising the FSB on the CPU to 222 which is a little disconcerting. With this profile, the CPU runs at 18.5x222 which is 4107, and with CPB, 21x222 which is 4662. Quite a bit more than the official 4.0 base / CPB 4.2 GHz of the FX-8350. The profile didn't add add any voltage for the CPU either... This profile selected 10-11-10-29 timings which is not exactly a match for these modules. The RAM voltage was very slightly pushed up to 1.505V. Nevertheless with all those mismatches, it passed the POST, booted Windows and passed Intel burn test (IBT).

I was able to further push the memory to DDR3-1864 by fixing the timing to 10-11-10-30, upping the FSB to 233 and adding a little voltage to the CPU. It's running some tests now, it has booted Windows and passed Intel burn test already. Next up will be Memtest and Prime95.

If I don't want to OC the CPU and if I want to leave the CPU FSB alone at 200, is there no way to run this memory with 200 FSB and 9.33x memory multiplier ?
      Last edited by madbrain; 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Can try it, will prob have to increase DRAM and CPU/NB voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have tried with the DRAM voltage up to 1.65V and CPU NB VID up to +0.3V (1.475V).
          Still no go when everything else is stock.
          I don't want to go into the "red zone" with the voltages and I'm close to that.

Are there any other settings which might help get to 1866 without the FSB ?
          Otherwise I guess that's what I will have to use.

My memtest completed a full pass earlier today at 1864 MHz (8 x 233) . Sure takes a long time, almost 4 hours for 32GB. I guess at least I know for sure the RAM is good so now I can move on to the CPU & RAM OC ...

Comment

Could just be your 8350 doesn't have a strong enough MC (Memory Controller) to run 32GB @ 1866, might try at 1600 and see how that goes

Tman

Comment

It will run the RAM fine at 8 x 200 - ie 1600 MHz .
              But to get any higher than that, I have to up the FSB.

The RAM passed memtest86 at at 8 x 233 which is 1864 so I think it's likely fine.
              Prime95 however and I'm still trying to stabilize that.

Prime95 is notoriously hard to get to run with the FX-8350 with overclock. Many people at overclock.net have just given up on it. Not me, I want a stable system. Prime95 runs fine without OC on the FX-8350. But I'm forced to OC for the RAM.

Looks like increasing CPU-NB slightly causes some improvements in Prime95 stability. Right now it's running 2 hours with the CPU at 4.3 GHz and RAM at 1864 MHz. Not a long time but better than most of the runs of Prime95 I have done with OC on this chip so far, even when I had the older 1600 MHz RAM...

Comment

The CPU/NB helps, so will taking up the vCore voltage (CPU voltage)

Tman

Comment

I'm getting the same motherboard, memory, and processor.. will I have any problems.

Hey.. What's up everyone.. I'm Justin!

Does anyone think I will have problem with the new memory I just purchased F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL Rip Jaws G.Skill memory and the Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3? I'm waiting on the fx-8350 till after Christmas for a little bit because my Phenom II 965 x4 AMD processor will work fine the motherboard till I get the new new FX-8350.. I just hope I don't have any problems with it and it all runs likes to suppose to. I also purchased a 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.0 drive which should run great! I'm planning on installing my Windows 7 Ulitmate 64bit because I've been running the 32bit version and haven't been able to use all my RAM at all and I don't really want to format it either so I'm going 2 have drives with windows XP pro and Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit.. and my new 3TB drive with SATA 3.0 will be running the 64bit verison of Windows 7 Ulitmate.. I've been wanting to try windows 8 since I can get the upgrade for 40 bucks online thru Microsoft, but I want to make sure the new hardware I have will work good with Windows 8 too but I want to make sure they fix all the bugs first. I did all this so I won't have to upgrade for atleast 3 to 5 years... and I can put all my other parts together and RAM I have in my sisters old computer and update hers with a 64bit version of Windows 7 so she'll have an awesome computer as well.. the only thing she will really need is a good power supply is all.

Anyway.. I was just wondering if I would have any problem like others were saying about the voltage for the RAM and CPU... I was thinking if anything, I'd update the BIOS on the Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 to see if that would correct any issues.. I already know I might have to update the BIOS when I put in the AMD FX-8350... I do know this new system upgrade I'm doing.. should make my computer lighting fast and boot up much faster and run videos and games with ease since I have 2 Gforce cards and it has Crossfire on the board and SLi and both cards are compatible.. and I have my sound blaster x-fi fatality card to go in there as well which will work good with the pci express slots.. the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard has an optical port on it.. I thought maybe I would try it too see how well the sound is, but my sound blaster x-fi fatality would probably blow that one out of the water lol

Comment

Never know, but think may have to drop the sticks to at least 1333 for 32GB with the 965 (maybe lower). Chances are good the 8350 will carry 32GB at 1600 with a little tweaking maybe. AMDs aren't know for a strong MC (Memory Controller), usually recommend a min of the 965 Rev C to run 16GB of 1600 (and even then some can't)

Tman

Comment

Replying to tradesman

Thanks for the info Tradesman... I have the Black edition of the AMD Phenom II 965 x4 Do you think that makes a difference having the Black Edition of it and maybe I'll be able to run it at the right speed??

I just hope it will run amazingly... I can't wait to get the FX-8350 processor =)

Comment

Depends on time and patience...if you need a hand, give a holler and will help if I can

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman.. hope you had a good holiday.

Comment

I survived...........barely...had a houseful most of the day.....

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by madbrain View Post
                              I just received some 4x8GB of g.skill DDR3 1866 , model F3-1866C10Q-32GXL .

I installed them in my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 1.1 with latest F9 BIOS.

By default, the auto settings POST at 1333 speed.

I am not able to POST this RAM at 1866 . The motherboard always complains about overclocking error. All the other BIOS settings except the RAM are stock. CPU is FX-8350 .

The specs for the RAM say it is 10-11-10-30 and 1.5V .

Things I have tried :

1) setting DRAM EOCP to DDR3-1866 .
                              That didn't work . It tries to set a higher RAM voltage and wrong timings.

2) EOCP disabled
                              set memory clock manual
                              memory clock x9.33 (1866 MHz)

Under DRAM configuration :
                              CAS # latency : 10T
                              RAS to CAS R/W delay : 11T
                              Row precharge time : 10T
                              Minimum RAS active time : 30T

And leaving voltages as auto which should be 1.5V for the RAM.

But the mobo still won't post and complains about OC error.

Any idea ?
                              Hey was just wondering if you managed to get the bios to work with the ram, I sadly got the exact same setup and besides the voltages have been trying everything with no luck. Irritates the life out of me having 32gb of ram while my computer can only see 24 and use 16 -.-

Comment

Working...
                              X