MSI Gaming 7 and TridentZ F4-3600C17Q-16GTZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI Gaming 7 and TridentZ F4-3600C17Q-16GTZ

Is anybody running this combination? This kit is listed as compatible on MSI's website, but not here on G.Skills. I bought before checking on this site. I can't seem to get these working. I can boot into Windows when XMP is off and its at default 2133, but I can't even get it stable at 3000Mhz 16-17-17-39. My existing Corsair 3000Mhz 4x4 kit I can get stable at 3300, so something may be up with G.Skill. FYI, this is my second G.Skill kit, the first one I tried was a 2x8 3600Mhz kit that acted in this same way. But then I noticed on MSI's website that it was not listed as compatible, hence me returning it and getting the kit that was on the list. Return cost me $40 between the restocking fee and shipping, so I'd like to get this kit working, but I honestly don't see what I could do differently. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Here are the serial numbers for the sticks if that helps or anyone is interested.

Serial Numbers for the sticks:
    1601A5000081459
    1601A5000081460
    1601A5000081461
    1601A5000081462

Comment

What CPU do you have? Do you have the latest BIOS?

Test a single module to see what it is capable of and whether a module performs differently than others.

Comment

It's a 6700k CPU. MSI Gaming M7 with the latest 1.9 BIOS.

I did test with one (DIMM 2), two (DIMM 2 & 4), and all four. I also had them in number order which I don't think matters, but someone suggested so I figured what the heck. Testing in all situations was the same.

Comment

Can you send pictures of BIOS so I can see if there is anything set incorrectly?

Have you tried contacting MSI to see if they have any info about this?

What frequencies did you try?

Comment

I'm setting XMP.

Anyway, it's besides the point now. I had some time this morning to do some more testing and 2 of the 4 sticks are bad. I'm able to boot with just one stick on the MB and go through some benchmarks staying stable in default 2133 and XMP 3600 with 2 of the 4 sticks, the other 2 sticks...one won't post and one gives a kernel error.

This is my second attempt at using a G.Skill kit in 2 weeks with the same problem. The first return cost me $40, I'm assuming this return will cost the same. I'll be going with a different brand now as I have lost faith with G.Skill.

Comment

I'm in the same boat but haven't bought my ram yet. I just keep reading horror stories like yours and want to avoid. I can only imagine how many hours you have spent trying to make this work + $80 in returns.

I'm interested in the Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO. G.Skill says F4-3200C14D-16GVK are compatible but Asus doesn't list any 14's on their QVL. Asus replied this "Thank you for contacting ASUS.

I understand your query, Please accept my apologies the inconvenience this has caused. G.Skill site, http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gvk is not guranteed to work with the motherboard due to certain limitations."

One of the memory listed on Asus QVL is "G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GRK."

What is X99 memory doing on Z170 chipset? It is so confusing...

This seems like a game you can't win. Why is it so difficult? Who do you believe? At the risk of spending days working on something that doesn't work and having to pay return shipping. What is the answer?

Thanks,
              Larry

Comment

To skip a long story, follow the G.Skill QVL list, it is most accurate.

That memory kit will work with your motherboard. Full specs should be no problem with a good CPU.

Shipping RAM that is less than a pound should never cost $40, so it must have been international or Overnight Express to be that high.

Comment

Working...
                X