What breaks when RGB lights go dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What breaks when RGB lights go dark

I have 64G sitting on a MSI X99 Godlike Gaming Carbon MB. The rainbow effect works fine no issues with memory.
    My question is: When a stick goes dark after playing with the GSkill lighting software, is something physically breaking, or is it firmware on the RAM that gets corrupted? or both.

It's likely somewhere in the firmware or software that got stuck, so we recommend some combination of 1) resetting to default in software, 2) turning it on/off in software, or 3) cutting power to the system by disconnecting the power cord.

May we ask if you had enabled XMP or was manual settings used for the memory kit? And is the CPU overclocked as well?

Comment

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
      It's likely somewhere in the firmware or software that got stuck, so we recommend some combination of 1) resetting to default in software, 2) turning it on/off in software, or 3) cutting power to the system by disconnecting the power cord.

May we ask if you had enabled XMP or was manual settings used for the memory kit? And is the CPU overclocked as well?
      Suspecting something to do with the timings or mostly a voltage thing?

Comment

Testing

So wanted to share some empirical observations. Again I have 64Gig (8 sticks) on a MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon motherboard, i7-6850, BIOS version 2.6 (the latest available). Running MSI OC gear-2 settings. Windows 10 Creators Edition upg.
        For the purposes of identifying RAM sticks I will refer to them as slots 1 through 8, left to right.

step 1: Removed all RGB software I could think of (GamingApp, CUE, Dragoneye). Rebooted.
        step 2: installed GSkill RGB software for the first time. No issues during install
        step 3: launched GSkill RGB software . 7 of 8 sticks controllable, slot 5 not responding just keeps doing the rainbow default thing. Tried several lighting setups and every time the 7 sticks responded without issue.
        step 4: shut down computer, removed power cord, waited 2-3 minutes.
        step 5: powered back on. launched GSkill RGB software, 7 of 8 sticks controllable but now slot 8 was not responding to controls, the other 7 not problem.
        step 6: shut down again, removed power cord, waited, booted back up. No change this time slot 8 remains unresponsive.
        step 9: shut down, removed power cord, waited, rebooted but this time entered BIOS. Removed OC, and disabled onboard led control. Rebooted computer.
        step 10: this time upon reboot I still have 7 of 8 responding to GSkill RGB software but now it is slot 4 that is not responsive. The other 7 no problems.
        Step 11: found that Steelseries engine 3.10.1 was still running. Uninstalled it. Shut down for the night.
        step 12: rebooted computer the next morning and I still get 7 of 8 modules responding to GSkill RGB software but now it is slot 5 that is unresponsive.

Every time I rebooted after removing the power cord I noticed that initially all 8 sticks would start in the default rainbow mode but sometime during login to windows I would notice the ram sticks flicker and the last configuration suddenly takes over, possibly service ASLEDservice starting?

Comment

A little more info.

I kept playing with settings in GSkill RGB software and overtime I lost control of slots 5, 6, 7, 8. They became unresponsive just running the rainbow default. Slots 1 thru 4 still responded to control input. A reboot and power cord removal did not fix this.
          Finally while running GSkill RGB software I did a restart of the AsLedService service while program was running. At first it appeared that the program faulted as it would not respond to mouse clicks. I had clicked on strobe-red. I forced the program to close and relaunched and suddenly all 8 RAM sticks flickered and assumed the program settings of strobe Red color.

Hope there is something of value in this?

Comment

Working...
          X