Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz CL16 problem

Is it the board or my RAM ? heres the story

As the title suggests, I currently have G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz 16gb (2x8gb)CL16 RAM, I purchased this ram only a few weeks ago when I upgraded to RyZen, im running it with a Gigabyte AB350m Gaming 3 motherboard.

To cut a long story short, I couldnt get the ram to run any faster than 2666mhz stable on the first release bios (F2) and only got this by enabling XMP but dialing down the speed to 2666mhz.

so I contacted Gigabyte who sent me the latest bios they're working on F3, I flashed this, all went fine, except where memory is concerned, now I can only get 2400mhz stable, by once again enabling XMP and dialing down the speed to 2400mhz.

So I decided it was better how it was before, Cinebench etc results were faster, so I back flashed to F2, only this time something has changed, theres no XMP option in the bios, and cant get anything higher than 2133mhz on the ram, so I flashed back to F3 once again, and once again the XMP option is still missing, WTF ? RAM issue or board do you guys think ? its almost as if the XMP profile programmed into the sticks has gone missing, is this even possible ?

No, RAM profile can not be over written that easily. Have you tried hard resetting BIOS? Contact Gigabyte as they would have a better idea of what may be going on.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      No, RAM profile can not be over written that easily. Have you tried hard resetting BIOS? Contact Gigabyte as they would have a better idea of what may be going on.
      Ive tried resetting, flashing multiple bioses that they sent me, nothing seems to bring back the missing XMP option from the bios, Gigabyte say it only appears if your ram has XMP, well mine does or should.

I have bios F2, F3C, F3D and What they just call F3, I guess this is getting close to final release, non of these show the XMP option any longer, however, they all used too.

Comment

Manually input settings, should be able to work the same way.

Comment

Thanks, thats what ive done for now, but like I said in my first post, I can now only get it to boot at 2400mhz, where as before it would boot at 2666mhz, for some reason, this board doesnt like manual input of timings, memory speed and voltage, however, if you enable XMP and then dial down the speed, it posts and boots first time, only XMP has left the building in my system.

Comment

I had the same 3000 CL16 RGB RAM and with a ASRock X370 only managed to rund with 2400-2666.
            Now i switched to the 3600 CL 16 RAM with Samsung Chips and now 3200MHz no problem at all.
            Mainboard now MSI B 350 Tomahawk Arctic. Manually set 3200 with 14-13-13-13-32.
            XMP sets it to 2933 CL16... Everyone should buy the 3200CL14 or faster RAMkits with Samsung...
            Maybe that will be fixed someday, that all the rams run with speeds what they are made for but today, we have to spent a lil bit more to get 3200MHz+

Comment

Originally posted by Duvar View Post
              I had the same 3000 CL16 RGB RAM and with a ASRock X370 only managed to rund with 2400-2666.
              Now i switched to the 3600 CL 16 RAM with Samsung Chips and now 3200MHz no problem at all.
              Mainboard now MSI B 350 Tomahawk Arctic. Manually set 3200 with 14-13-13-13-32.
              XMP sets it to 2933 CL16... Everyone should buy the 3200CL14 or faster RAMkits with Samsung...
              Maybe that will be fixed someday, that all the rams run with speeds what they are made for but today, we have to spent a lil bit more to get 3200MHz+
              Thanks, how can I find out which IC's are in my RAM ?

Please dont say its Hynix, ive heard bad things about Hynix and RyZen

EDIT, it appears as far as I can see that all Trident Z series use Samsung IC's
              Last edited by Jamin280672; 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Above 3200MHz i guess. The 3000MHz Trident Z RGB ones using SK Hynix.
                You can check this with the latest beta of the hwinfo64 tool.

Comment

3200 C14

Not all Trident Z are Sammy
                  Not all above 3200 are Sammy

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                    Manually input settings, should be able to work the same way.
                    After contacting Gigabyte and they made a few suggestions to me as below:

Answer:
                    Hello,

Have you tried to reseat the memory?

How about just install 1x memory module? Test each memory individually?

Are you able to test the same memory on other platform to isolate the issue?

After trying 1 stick at a time, 1 stick in the bios shows XMP profile, the other stick doesnt, therefore, both sticks togther dont show XMP profile.

RMA'ing the RAM.
                    Last edited by Jamin280672; 04-04-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Today new PCGH Magazine hit the shelfs. They tested that 2666MHz dual sided (ds) RAM is faster than 3200 single sided (ss). I think those RGB RAMs are ss right? I have the 3600 CL 16 version.

Comment

Depends on the batch. The results and statement is not true for all, so it depends on the specific hardware.

Comment

Working...
                        X