Trident Z RGB AM4 Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Syaoran View Post
    That is the kit I have been considering buying to use on the Asus Crosshair VI Hero. I have seen a few reviews on NewEgg that say it will run at 3600 fine with beta BIOS 9945, which has AGESA 1.0.0.6. My main concern with this RAM though is the many issues people have been experiencing with the SPD profile being corrupted. Has that mess been resolved yet? I really don't want any issues with this build.
    Regarding AGESA, my mobo didn't get an update yet, I'm still waiting, so I can't tell if it'll run at full speed.
    Regarding the SPD corruption, I avoided using any led customization software at all. I rather left leds running at the default settings, and I didn't have any issue.

Comment

Originally posted by maboz View Post
      Regarding AGESA, my mobo didn't get an update yet, I'm still waiting, so I can't tell if it'll run at full speed.
      Regarding the SPD corruption, I avoided using any led customization software at all. I rather left leds running at the default settings, and I didn't have any issue.
      That's good to know. I am not too worried about the software as long as they do fix the issues sooner than later. I very rarely install any of the bloatware that comes with motherboards but it would be nice to eventually sync the lighting. It makes me wonder if the Sapphire lighting utility for my video card will cause any issues though. I have it installed to play around with but I don't have to install it when I finish off the Ryzen system.
      Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
      Arctic Cooling Freezer 360
      Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
      2X Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
      Samsung EVO 960 500GB
      3X Seagate 3TB SATA3/7,200RPM
      LG 16X Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
      SilverStone Strider 1200 Watt
      Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered

Comment

Hi, I have a question similar to the original post –– but with a little twist.
        So I am planning to have a Ryzen build (R7 1700) with the MSI Pro CARBON Gaming X370 board, and I plan on having some Trident RGB RAM to go with it.

Now, from MSI's site, the F4- 3200C16Q-32GTZR (SK Hynix A-Die) is under the QVL list of the board, and from my understanding the F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (ALSO SK Hynix A-Die) is essentially just a 2x8GB version of the 4x8GB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR. Now, like other boards, this board runs with dual channel memory with 4 DIMM slots, (2x2, obviously). So my hypothesis would be if the board supports 2 dual channels of this memory, then it MUST support only one dual channel of this memory right? Many thanks.

If the above is not clear, I perhaps should rephrase my question a bit: if the board supports 4 sticks of this RAM, then it should support 2 sticks of this RAM right?

The reason I have to ask such a dumb question is that I asked MSI myself before and they keep on saying the 2 kits are made of different RAM and they say it would not be compatible. Hence I am not confident in my hypothesis.

Again, thanks for reading this wall of text.

Comment

Originally posted by psychonepnep View Post
          Hi, I have a question similar to the original post –– but with a little twist.
          So I am planning to have a Ryzen build (R7 1700) with the MSI Pro CARBON Gaming X370 board, and I plan on having some Trident RGB RAM to go with it.

Now, from MSI's site, the F4- 3200C16Q-32GTZR (SK Hynix A-Die) is under the QVL list of the board, and from my understanding the F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (ALSO SK Hynix A-Die) is essentially just a 2x8GB version of the 4x8GB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR. Now, like other boards, this board runs with dual channel memory with 4 DIMM slots, (2x2, obviously). So my hypothesis would be if the board supports 2 dual channels of this memory, then it MUST support only one dual channel of this memory right? Many thanks.

If the above is not clear, I perhaps should rephrase my question a bit: if the board supports 4 sticks of this RAM, then it should support 2 sticks of this RAM right?

The reason I have to ask such a dumb question is that I asked MSI myself before and they keep on saying the 2 kits are made of different RAM and they say it would not be compatible. Hence I am not confident in my hypothesis.

Again, thanks for reading this wall of text.
          That's actually one of the reasons I chose to go with the Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Using 4 DIMM's is very hit and miss, even if the RAM is on the QVL. There are 3 columns with checkmarks after each listing of RAM on the QVL. Those columns are for Single DIMM, Dual DIMM's, and Quad DIMM's. There are only a handful of tested memory that has that third column checkmark. That doesn't mean it won't work but it does mean there are no guarantees.

Do you plan on using MSI's Mystic lighting software with your RAM?
          Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
          Asus Crosshair VI Hero
          32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
          Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

That's actually one of the reasons I chose to go with the Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Using 4 DIMM's is very hit and miss, even if the RAM is on the QVL. There are 3 columns with checkmarks after each listing of RAM on the QVL. Those columns are for Single DIMM, Dual DIMM's, and Quad DIMM's. There are only a handful of tested memory that has that third column checkmark. That doesn't mean it won't work but it does mean there are no guarantees.

Do you plan on using MSI's Mystic lighting software with your RAM?
            Thanks for the reply. I am also considering using the Geil's RAM as it has mystic lighting, but I really don't fancy the cable that pops out of the RAM. Also, I am having trouble finding GeiL RAM with speeds of 3200MHz here in Hong Kong, therefore Trident would be my priority. Since I am building in summer I guess I could wait and see if more GeiL RAM hits the market overhere.

As for the DIMM slots, I actually plan on using only 2 of the 4 DIMM slots (one dual channel): funny thing on their website is that they say 4 DIMM slots work (2 dual channels) and no mention of only using 2 of 4 DIMM slots.
            I just checked their website once again and they actually said the F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR is not compatible on 4 DIMM slots but only for 2 DIMM slots, which makes things even more confusing as the Q model is a 4x8GB kit where the D model (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR, the one supposed to take only 2 DIMM slots) is the 2x8GB kit…

Anyways I guess I could ask MSI again and hopefully they would understand what I am saying (´エ`;)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am also considering using the Geil's RAM as it has mystic lighting, but I really don't fancy the cable that pops out of the RAM. Also, I am having trouble finding GeiL RAM with speeds of 3200MHz here in Hong Kong, therefore Trident would be my priority. Since I am building in summer I guess I could wait and see if more GeiL RAM hits the market overhere.

As for the DIMM slots, I actually plan on using only 2 of the 4 DIMM slots (one dual channel): funny thing on their website is that they say 4 DIMM slots work (2 dual channels) and no mention of only using 2 of 4 DIMM slots.
              I just checked their website once again and they actually said the F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR is not compatible on 4 DIMM slots but only for 2 DIMM slots, which makes things even more confusing as the Q model is a 4x8GB kit where the D model (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR, the one supposed to take only 2 DIMM slots) is the 2x8GB kit…

Anyways I guess I could ask MSI again and hopefully they would understand what I am saying (´エ`;)
              The Ryzen RAM mess per motherboard is a huge mess! You might want to wait until the AGESA update (1006) comes out before you buy any RAM. It adds a lot more compatibility for various types of RAM.

The G.Skill RGB RAM is a disaster right now. Mystic, Aura, and the G.Skill beta stuff all messes up the RAM along with some other variables as well. The RAM may look amazing in the pictures but there are plenty of threads around here over the past 4 months and there is still no response from G.Skill other than they are working on it, which helps out no one. Some users have RMA'd their RAM 3 times and more and still have issues and dead modules.
              Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
              Asus Crosshair VI Hero
              Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

The Ryzen RAM mess per motherboard is a huge mess! You might want to wait until the AGESA update (1006) comes out before you buy any RAM. It adds a lot more compatibility for various types of RAM.

The G.Skill RGB RAM is a disaster right now. Mystic, Aura, and the G.Skill beta stuff all messes up the RAM along with some other variables as well. The RAM may look amazing in the pictures but there are plenty of threads around here over the past 4 months and there is still no response from G.Skill other than they are working on it, which helps out no one. Some users have RMA'd their RAM 3 times and more and still have issues and dead modules.
                At this point I might just go F-it and go for an 7700k (or perhaps coffeelake, really want a bit more than 4 cores for my Physics Simulations) with a ROG Strix Z270 and Trident RGB RAM instead –– if its not fixed by mid July I will just go do that (since I'm building in Summer). Thanks for all your support (*^▽^*).

Comment

At this point I might just go F-it and go for an 7700k (or perhaps coffeelake, really want a bit more than 4 cores for my Physics Simulations) with a ROG Strix Z270 and Trident RGB RAM instead –– if its not fixed by mid July I will just go do that (since I'm building in Summer). Thanks for all your support (*^▽^*).
                  That's why I basically had no choice but to buy the Asus Crosshair VI Hero instead of MSI's Gaming Pro Carbon. Asus has some beta BIOS's out right now that have the AGESA 1006 update in them. Hopefully that update will trickle out in a final version for all motherboards by the end of June at the latest.

I took a look at some of the GeIL RAM after you mentioned it. Some of their RAM kits look really nice. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any kits for RAM higher clocked than 3200 and those are all C16. AMD's platforms have always benefited from lower latency. C14 at 3200 or C16 running at 3600 should really be what most are looking for to get the best performance out of a system.

I have been looking at Corsair but their RAM is so ugly and there is definitely more of a premium on the price just for the name. I just might cave and go for some black LPX so I can actually enjoy my Ryzen build instead of it sitting there unfinished. The RAM would definitely be missing the nice look of G.Skill's RGB RAM but it's pointless if that RAM causes nothing but headaches, frustration, and disappointment.
                  Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                  Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                  Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

That's why I basically had no choice but to buy the Asus Crosshair VI Hero instead of MSI's Gaming Pro Carbon. Asus has some beta BIOS's out right now that have the AGESA 1006 update in them. Hopefully that update will trickle out in a final version for all motherboards by the end of June at the latest.

I took a look at some of the GeIL RAM after you mentioned it. Some of their RAM kits look really nice. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any kits for RAM higher clocked than 3200 and those are all C16. AMD's platforms have always benefited from lower latency. C14 at 3200 or C16 running at 3600 should really be what most are looking for to get the best performance out of a system.

I have been looking at Corsair but their RAM is so ugly and there is definitely more of a premium on the price just for the name. I just might cave and go for some black LPX so I can actually enjoy my Ryzen build instead of it sitting there unfinished. The RAM would definitely be missing the nice look of G.Skill's RGB RAM but it's pointless if that RAM causes nothing but headaches, frustration, and disappointment.
                    Have you tested out the beta AGESA 1006 update? Does it work for you? Might just as well get an Maximus Hero XIII isntead.

Comment

Have you tested out the beta AGESA 1006 update? Does it work for you? Might just as well get an Maximus Hero XIII isntead.
                      Not personally but those I know that have, are using RAM not on the QVL in 32GB densities, and all have their RAM running at or above 3200MHz. There are a few reviews of G.Skill F4-3600C16Q kits running fine at 3600MHz until the SPD corruption sets in or the LED's or a stick dies. Those issues though are from running any lighting software though and system utilities such as Hardware Monitor and AIDA.
                      Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                      Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                      Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

As mentioned the issue is not with the RAM itself, but rather a compatibility issue with the motherboard and software. Therefore no matter how many RMAs are completed, if using the same BIOS and software, the same problem will occur. To report the issue for testing, we need hardware and software information of the problem combination so we can replicate the system. If we can discover the problem, we can work on a solution. For RGB lighting, there are many variables, but the main concerns are mentioned on the website and download page. Once we make progress on specific problems, we will mention it on the website, download page, and forum.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                          As mentioned the issue is not with the RAM itself, but rather a compatibility issue with the motherboard and software. Therefore no matter how many RMAs are completed, if using the same BIOS and software, the same problem will occur. To report the issue for testing, we need hardware and software information of the problem combination so we can replicate the system. If we can discover the problem, we can work on a solution. For RGB lighting, there are many variables, but the main concerns are mentioned on the website and download page. Once we make progress on specific problems, we will mention it on the website, download page, and forum.
                          From what I have read around the internet on various forums. The issues spread across many motherboards by different manufactures. Whether it's made by Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Biostar, and others. The RGB RAM has issues beyond the LED's. Common software like AIDA, Hardware Monitor, CPU-Z, and other things most enthusiasts use can cause the speed profile to become corrupt on G.Skill RGB modules. The Asus Aura and AI Suite definitely don't help either but it's not an issue just limited to their software. MSI's Mystic software can cause the same issues.

Personally, I don't install a lot of bloatware on my systems. However, I do have Sapphire's TRIXX software on my system currently. I don't need it and it won't be installed on my Ryzen system when it's finished but it was fun to play with for a bit. However, I do use tools such as AIDA and CPU-Z regularly to help me tweak my system. If any of those can potentially mess out the RGB RAM even if there is no RGB software installed. Obviously, I don't want to be pulling a part a new build to RMA RAM, especially when that RMA is at my expense to ship.

As a Windows Insider, XBOX Insider, and someone who has beta tested many pieces of hardware and software. G.Skill needs to do better in trying to get to the bottom of these issues and helping those willing to help your company would be a huge step in the right direction. My specs for the system I am not finished building are below. I plan on running the 9945 beta BIOS. I really wanted the F4-3600C16Q 32GB (4X8GB) kit for my system. However, knowing the issues with them and knowing I will have to pay for two, three, and potentially more RMA's as well as the cost of paying for a Thaiphoon license to help with these issues doesn't seem to fair. Especially the downtime between RMA.

Is G.Skill willing to step up and offer those willing to help pre-paid express cross-shipping for RMA's at the very least? If you want those willing to help to use Thaiphoon Burner to write to the memory. Will G.Skill provide us with the license key to use the paid version, which is needed? If so, I will order the 32GB (4X8GB) kit of F4-3600C16 from NewEgg and hopefully it will arrive early next week. That is, if G.Skill wants me to contribute and needs my hardware specs as one potential hardware scenario?

That said. My posts here may have come off a little... irritated in tone. When people buy stuff, they expect it work properly and without issues. It's different for those of us who volunteer because we expect and purposely try to cause these issues to isolate them and have them resolved so others can have the experience they expect. I still have a box of Microsoft XBOX 360 wireless headsets sent to me by Microsoft and five routers sitting around from testing interference on different frequencies, distances, and for connectivity. I volunteered for that after buying one when they came out and had so many issues with it. Microsoft gave up on them in the end for various reasons.
                          Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                          Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                          Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

There is a lot of misinformation on the web and forums as different people and experiences will have their perception of the issue. Common software you mentioned will not cause any problems.

We are doing everything we can to get to the bottom of these issues, but the RAM/LEDs are controlled by the motherboard so we have to wait patiently for motherboard companies to produce updates so it is not as quick as we would like.

Users are not expected to RMA multiple times, or use TB. But if a system is known to cause corruption and there is no change other than a new kit of RAM, chances are it can cause the same exact issue again. The motherboard and software needs to be updated prior to trying again.

We definitely understand people want what they pay for and you can bet that is what we work for. But for new technology there is always curve because it is not possible to have the product tested in every possible environment. Similarly to AMD's situation in maximizing the capabilities of the new CPU. BIOS updates can still go on even after years so you can imagine the possibilities. For this reason we hear out all cases and look to provide a solution for any problems. Our goal is always to perfect the product.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              There is a lot of misinformation on the web and forums as different people and experiences will have their perception of the issue. Common software you mentioned will not cause any problems.

We are doing everything we can to get to the bottom of these issues, but the RAM/LEDs are controlled by the motherboard so we have to wait patiently for motherboard companies to produce updates so it is not as quick as we would like.

Users are not expected to RMA multiple times, or use TB. But if a system is known to cause corruption and there is no change other than a new kit of RAM, chances are it can cause the same exact issue again. The motherboard and software needs to be updated prior to trying again.

We definitely understand people want what they pay for and you can bet that is what we work for. But for new technology there is always curve because it is not possible to have the product tested in every possible environment. Similarly to AMD's situation in maximizing the capabilities of the new CPU. BIOS updates can still go on even after years so you can imagine the possibilities. For this reason we hear out all cases and look to provide a solution for any problems. Our goal is always to perfect the product.
                              I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply! Some clarity on the issue is definitely a good thing. Asus and other motherboard manufactures can be pretty slow to implement changes at times. Has anyone tested the 9943 or the 9945 on the Crosshair VI Hero?

Even though it's not the fastest 3,600MHz RAM out there, it's definitely the nicest. Hopefully G.Skill will expand the RGB to the F4-3600C15 TridentZ RAm in the future.
                              Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                              Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                              Samsung EVO 960 500GB

Comment

Common software like AIDA, Hardware Monitor, CPU-Z, and other things most enthusiasts use can cause the speed profile to become corrupt on G.Skill RGB modules.
                                I used all of those without having any issue with the RGB sticks. What I didn't use is software to control LED coloring (Apart from msi gaming app for leds on the mobo).

Comment

Working...
                                X